1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I think this is the 3rd time in this string where it was brought up. The bayous banks are too steep on the east side to allow gators to climb up. 

Thanks for the information but  I was thinking of the Gondolas.  Though come to think about it,  people kayak the bayou and haven't heard of anyone getting chomped.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 10:10 AM, innerloop said:

They tried it in Rio de Janeiro, but some people say that was just a vanity project for the Olympics.  They built a 2.2 mile line and they say it cost $70M.  The trip took 10 minutes, I couldn't quickly find any information on capacity/hour.

There were two, but the more important one links the Complexo de Alemão favela to a station on the suburban train line, a total of 6 stations over 3.5 km. Theoretical max capacity per hour was 3000 passengers (152 gondolas, ~30 minute round trip, 10 pax per gondola). For obvious reasons, it's very difficult to achieve this capacity. In practice the system had about 10,000 passengers per day (article in Portuguese from 2012).

Fares were heavily subsidized by the state government. Residents of the favela (a majority of users) could ride twice per day for free, while everyone else paid R$1 (about US$0.30) each way. To break even on operating costs at 10,000 riders per day, the fare would have needed to be about 7-8x higher, and paid by all passengers. (Other public transportation modes in Rio generally operate without subsidy.) Given the precarious financial situation of the state government after the Olympics, the operating subsidy was cut off and operation suspended in late 2016. 

The construction cost per mile is definitely at the low end as compared to light rail, average speeds are only a little slower, and grade separation is built in. It helps if you have the right topology, and you still have to work out the rights of way.

I had waaay too much time on my hands to think about this, but here is my suggestion for 2 Gondola routes:

https://imgur.com/a/ArazkT7

Keep in mind I have ZERO technical background on how these work other than ski trips and the rodeo. The goal here was to connect East River to the Light Rail systems at BBVA and UHD. I tried to pick land that is currently open and would be easily developed on after the I-45 Re-Route. Both routes would give amazing views of the Bayou and Downtown. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Texasota said:

... gondolas are on neither rails nor water...

The topic is called "East River"... not "East Gondolas"

EDIT: I can't believe I actually have to mention why the joke worked in the first place....sigh

Edited by Luminare

Gondola is cheaper and probably faster than light rail considering the logistics of going around the Bayou from the East River sight. Metro should love this. It connects more people to their main light rail lines. I could imagine living at the East River and working in Downtown, taking your bike to the gondola, riding that to UHD, and then biking to work. 

• Like 2

This talk of gondolas is nice and all, but where in the plan does it specifically state that gondolas (or light rail for that matter) are going to be incorporated into the project? I mean, it's a fair thing to assume some form of public transit will connect East River to the rest of town but are there any tangible plans on what may actually happen?

To my knowledge the only plan out there is the East End District's plan to run a streetcar on Clinton, but that seems to be more of a "this would be cool" kind of thing than a "we are currently designing and securing funding for" kind of thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2019 at 3:43 PM, H-Town Man said:

The biggest problem in early Houston was mosquito-borne malaria, which suggests residents wanted to be as far from water as possible and would not have developed like Amsterdam. We lost the state capital over this.

Not only malaria, but yellow fever as well, which killed far more folks than malaria, and was harder to treat.

• Like 1