1 minute ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

https://www.thepacker.com/article/expectations-vary-how-new-amazon-format-will-affect-grocery

Amazon's new grocery store might be a good fit, they require about 35k feet and rely on more automation technology.

They could also do it to where its one story above and one story below ground.

12 minutes ago, Luminare said:

They could also do it to where its one story above and one story below ground.

I think this is on the high side of the bayou, but I’d be leery about below-grade retail as a grocer given that most outlets for refrigeration and point of sale equipment are in the floor.

I really like Trader Joes for specialty things or an option to some groceries, but it doesn't carry all of the dry goods and other things that a normal grocery store carries. 

I think the east end needs a full service store with all the bells and whistles.Then add a Trader Joe's. 

We have an Aldi in our neighborhood and its very similar to Trader Joes in products and is actually owned by the same company.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I really like Trader Joes for specialty things or an option to some groceries, but it doesn't carry all of the dry goods and other things that a normal grocery store carries. 

I think the east end needs a full service store with all the bells and whistles.Then add a Trader Joe's. 

We have an Aldi in our neighborhood and its very similar to Trader Joes in products and is actually owned by the same company.

It's a common misconception, but Aldi and Trader Joe's are not owned by the same company.  Two brothers had a single family enterprise until a friendly division of assets in 1960. Since then they have been wholly separate, distinct and unrelated corporations and operations, one named Aldi Süd and the other named Aldi Nord. Aldi Süd operates the Aldi groceries in the United States. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joes.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

It's a common misconception, but Aldi and Trader Joe's are not owned by the same company.  Two brothers had a single family enterprise until a friendly division of assets in 1960. Since then they have been wholly separate, distinct and unrelated corporations and operations, one named Aldi Süd and the other named Aldi Nord. Aldi Süd operates the Aldi groceries in the United States. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joes.

no Aldi Ost or Aldi West?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, intencity77 said:

The planned museum, if not the Maritime Museum, would be pretty awesome as a Meow Wolf annex. They are an immersive, interactive and artist driven exhibition that has really taken off since it opened in 2016 and expanding to different markets. They have multi-million dollar expansions planned in Denver, Washington D.C., Las Vegas and a hotel/exhibit concept in Phoenix. I don’t know if Houston is “vibrant” or “hip” enough to support one but it might pair nicely with the overall vibe of this project. 

Not a huge fan of Meow Wolf compared to Sleep No More or Houston's own DinoLion. 

http://sites.uci.edu/form/files/2015/01/Greenberg-Clement-Avant-Garde-and-Kitsch-copy.pdf

8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Good Lord, another Adidas and Puma!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Are you guys satisfied with the connectivity to the bayou from what we can see? Kind of feels like a miss opportunity for a cool element fronting the bayou. 

I'm going to hold off judgment until we see what Buffalo Bayou has planned here. We should be hearing from them with regards to the East Sector fairly soon.  I recall that the idea was to allow BBP to have an easement on the land fronting the bayou. It could be that the brochure does not include bridges that have not been finalized by the BBP or it could be that the scope of connectivity to the south side of the bayou is more limited than expected. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Triton said:

Wish we got a canoe, kayak, and SUP landing. That would be cool. Something similar to Zilker Park in Austin.

http://www.buffalobayourc.org/

So do they. I'm not sure what the timeline is on it and where they want to put it but I wouldn't be surprised if they are included in the East Sector Master Plan coming up. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

6 hours ago, Triton said:

Wish we got a canoe, kayak, and SUP landing. That would be cool. Something similar to Zilker Park in Austin.

I’d go for the Swimming Hole as part of the development first.

The Bayou has water quality issues ... not sure why people would want to kayak in it.

13 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

The Bayou has water quality issues ... not sure why people would want to kayak in it.

Or have both.

The bayou water quality issues are mainly a factor for the eastern end near the industry. And even that area would afford the best recreation for this city if it gets cleaned up.

15 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

Or have both.

The bayou water quality issues are mainly a factor for the eastern end near the industry. And even that area would afford the best recreation for this city if it gets cleaned up.

All the runoff water from the Katy Freeway and Westheimer probably isn't the best thing for human skin. And chemicals from half a million lawns. Not sure if there is still sewage draining into the bayou as there was for most of its history. That being said, I would take a canoe on it.

A few years back we took a canoe from Shepherd to the east side near the navigation/ canal area and it was quite an interesting trip.

It's really interesting to see up close the old buildings that butt up to the bayou and how it changes once you get past downtown.

I'm looking forward to seeing BBP's revised plans for the east side of downtown.

• Like 5

This development will truly set great precedent for linear development farther east down the bayou. Houston is going to become a real Bayou City! Much more long-term value than staying out west, with nothing but flat land and cow pastures.

Edited by AnTonY
  • Like 3

On 3/7/2019 at 1:40 PM, I'm Not a Robot said:

I'm going to hold off judgment until we see what Buffalo Bayou has planned here. We should be hearing from them with regards to the East Sector fairly soon.  I recall that the idea was to allow BBP to have an easement on the land fronting the bayou. It could be that the brochure does not include bridges that have not been finalized by the BBP or it could be that the scope of connectivity to the south side of the bayou is more limited than expected. 

Great point. If possible, I think  something like what spaghetti warehouse is doing with their renovation, (built for floods) would be cool fronting the bayou. Also,  does anybody recall the rendering of Buffalo Bayou where some sort of boardwalk was drawn?  Could have been purely conceptual but I cant remember at what end of the bayou that was. 

On 3/7/2019 at 8:41 PM, mattyt36 said:

East River would actually be a really good place to incorporate the watering hole idea. A commercial development similar Brisbane, Australia's Streets Beach development would be a very strong anchor for the retail side of this. They had a similar issue with water quality so they pumped the river water in and filtered it for the pool.

streets-beach-577458d9403fe31c15e7b7b1.a

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lagoon+South+Bank/@-27.4784919,153.0236878,381m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x6b91579aac93d233:0x402a35af3deaf40!2sBrisbane+QLD,+Australia!3b1!8m2!3d-27.4697707!4d153.0251235!3m4!1s0x6b915a0ef5541857:0xbc6a81b1602ce03!8m2!3d-27.4782822!4d153.0235702

• Like 6