• 1 month later...

as of a year and half ago i could say with 100% certainty that the owner had absolutely no clue what to do with the site and floated around some pretty asinine ideas. HEB had been rumored back then as well.  when it was first purchased my money would've been on a significant project but it was pretty evident later on he had absolutely no idea what he was doing.

I heard one was coming to sugar land, but this is news to me. They did one an industrial area of Atlanta recently and have looked at some urban parts of Charlotte. I don't really know if the Houston market is large enough for 5 topgolf facilities.

• 1 month later...

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Houston-Maritime-Museum-plans-new-site-at-the-port-6865593.php

The Houston Maritime Museum has big plans for a new building at the Port of Houston. The museum is in the planning and fundraising process but hopes to break ground by the end of the year, moving from Houston's Museum District to port-side property. It will be situated next to the Sam Houston boat that offers public tours of the port, allowing visitors to get out on the water and learn about Houston's port and maritime history at the museum.
  • Like 6

Its a shame they couldn't have repurposed the brand new, seldom used cruise terminal built on the water with docking facilities for cruise ships. They could use it for touring military fleet or special boat exhibits. The place is huge and it  was paid for through the port of Houston. I know its much more out of the way, but it is sitting vacant and I hate to see that money and building go to waste.

• Like 3

It would be awesome if there were boats coming from Buffalo Bayou to the terminal. Turn the terminal in to a destination. You get a tour of where Houston began, then you tour the port and end at the terminal where there are restaurants, gift shops etc. Make it a day tour thing for tourists.

• Like 1

Wonder if the technology will ever get rid of the Stinkadena smell. My old trumpet teacher was from Pasadena, California and told a story of driving to Pasadena when he got here and well...you can figure what he thought.

Most of the stink of stinkadena came from the Simpson Paper mill by the tunnel, it's has been long gone though. The smell drapped most of Pasadena when the wind came out of the north and smelled like cabbage and what cabbage does to the body.

• Like 1

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Maritime-Museum-moving-to-the-port-it-celebrates-6884856.php#photo-9591471

Touch-screen displays in the new Houston Maritime Museum, a $50 million project set to break ground by year's end at the Port of Houston, will guide visitors through exhibits about the industrial and economic behemoth.

Operators plan to fund the project, debt-free, with industry and foundation sponsors. Architecture firm Gensler and local construction company Tellepsen are working together at discounted rates on the building plans, for example. Frost Bank is helping finance the project and is a major donor.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with the ship channel tours is it's really hard to find. The current maritime museum in the Medical Center isn't super-convenient to find, but it's a reasonably urban area with good access. The ship channel tours require exiting from the Interstate, driving through a lot of industrial area that's often curvy and potholed, then turning down an unmarked side street, crossing two railroad tracks (no lights or gates), and then just when you think you're lost, you arrive at the rather lonely-looking overlook.

I'm exaggerating this, if only gently.

Edited by IronTiger

• 3 weeks later...

Woah.. Nice find. Interesting that there are multiple circlular targets, just like a TopGolf. And that elevated booth definitely hasn't been there long. I would hope they would face the range towards downtown though, not the ship channel..

I wonder if this is how TopGolf generally tests sites? I'd go back through satellite history to look at the site on i10 or Spring but Google Earth on mobile doesn't seem to have that feature..

26356186251_72e4981ec0_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Just now, Montrose1100 said:

Alright, Perry Homes is looking pretty sweet right meow.

Also you know they're going to build a pedestrian bridge across the bayou. I know a HAIFer near by that will disappointed by that.

Montrose, can you unpack that a little? I am a little behind on this area of town.

It will be interesting to see when and how the bayou banks between there and downtown get developed now that Midway is in the game. Surely they will want walking/biking options in place before they start selling/renting homes. Perhaps they will make a nice donation to the BBP to get things underway?

My walking tour of that stretch of the bayou here:

@H-Town Man - Perry Homes is building 20 something homes right accross the bayou from this. Not too risky in my opinion. They are selling even before this news... although the sales team over there has to feel pretty good about this new information and the potential for a pedestrian bridge between the two properties.

• Like 1