Big crawler cranes. Not typical of construction cranes.

Looks like they are doing some ground work along the bulkhead along the bayou. To me it looks like they may be preparing to lift something to or from a barge. But what? Something heavy.

My guess is that whatever it is all for...it'll be heavy-hauled in or out.

Love to see the activity here though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although I think this site would be prime for a nice townhome redevelopment (something along the lines of a scaled-up version of Hines' Somerset Green that's near Old Katy Road would be neat here), I've thought this site would be a neat place to try reasonably large-scale midrise condominium development. One could also mix in a couple highrises. I was thinking New Orleans French Quarter-style architecture with nice walkable spaces for shops and restaurants. Magnolia trees could be planted to add more Houston flair--as I understand it a Magnolia forest once lined Buffalo Bayou. 

• Like 1

Although I think this site would be prime for a nice townhome redevelopment (something along the lines of a scaled-up version of Hines' Somerset Green that's near Old Katy Road would be neat here), I've thought this site would be a neat place to try reasonably large-scale midrise condominium development. One could also mix in a couple highrises. I was thinking New Orleans French Quarter-style architecture with nice walkable spaces for shops and restaurants. Magnolia trees could be planted to add more Houston flair--as I understand it a Magnolia forest once lined Buffalo Bayou. 

They should also look at the Atlantic Station development in Atlanta for inspiration.

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed that the company lost it's real estate portion of its website.... anyone know what is going on with the owner or the property?

http://cathexis.com/

Does anyone have a loopnet account or know of another means to see if this land is for sale right now. It says members only and im not going to spend $79 dollars to find out.

post-12738-0-00086000-1411354766_thumb.j

Edited by Mr.Clean19
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I hope this happens! Love the design.. I was bummed when I first saw this in the thread of projects that never happened.

Just saw they plan on building it at the turning basin/using the museum as launching point for the ship channel boat tours. Maybe once buffalo bayou park east gets built out they can have boat tours from Allens Landing/downtown out to the museum. It makes for a cool waypoint/destination to boost awareness and community involvement with the museum, and of course maritime industry.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

YESSSSS! I remember seeing this in the proposed designs! This looks awesome! Build it now!

Glad its the above design to and not the "previous design" That just looks kinda stilted.

EDIT: and after watching the video....of course the Architect is Gensler! Damn you Gensler!!!

Edited by Luminare

Lots of guys wearing backwards ivy caps in those renderings (or a newsboy for the guy in the distance).  Interesting hat choices.  

Well, to keep things in check, they have a phantasmal Alanis Morissette in the library photographing what appears to be a book case.  ^_^ 

Edited by The Pragmatist
  • Like 2

It's a cool design but a little out of the way. I realize the location makes sense for the type of museum, but it will be surrounded by industry.

Odd they wouldn't chose close to the Monument or closer to Downtown.

I agree, but that's why I love the fact people will be brought to the museum that want to take boat tours. If we built on that with more bayou ferry boat type cruises towards downtown it could become a popular waypoint/more of a destination.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...