HAIF - Houston's original social media

East River: KBR Site Puchased by Midway

17 hours ago, Texasota said:

Good short-term use. Still want an Alamo in the medium-long term.

That's a pretty small screen, but anything would be better than the curved surfaces they're projecting onto at the silos drive-in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phase I is underway, here's our first look:       More renderings can be found in the brochure below:   https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/2hO8ds_6cesMWwAvCHKLz8FOD

One of the buildings at KBR that faces downtown. Really visible from afar.   

Finally an update (from HBJ):   A spokeswoman for Midway said in an email that the company is in discussions with the city of Houston about how the project will be delivered over the next se

Posted Images

https://www.houstoniamag.com/arts-and-culture/2020/09/fifth-ward-moonstruck-drive-in-cinema-showing-tenet

Go See Christopher Nolan’s New Thriller, Tenet, at This Fifth Ward Drive-In

ffhaRRT.png

Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema, which shows its first movie on Sept 3, will be screening films on a giant structure made from storage containers. 

By Brittany Cristiano  9/3/2020 at 2:59pm

IN NEED OF PLANS FOR THE LONG WEEKEND? Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema near the East River should be your destination. A collaboration between Blue Moon Cinemas and Hockley’s Showboat Drive-In, the new Fifth Ward drive-in, which opens September 3, will project films onto a 40- by 80-foot structure made from storage containers, according to a press release. And while the unique screen could be a draw, the big excitement is that Christopher Nolan’s highly anticipated spy epic Tenet is kicking off the new venue’s screenings.

One of the biggest movie events of the year (and not just because this year’s film season was basically cancelled), little is known about Nolan’s new film, save for its insane budget and stacked cast, which includes John David Washington, Michael Cane, Kenneth Branagh, and Robert Pattinson. Seriously, its plot has been something of a closely guarded Hollywood secret. What we do know is that it involves a time-bending mission to prevent a World War III—as if 2020 hasn’t been bad enough.

According to the release, Moonstruck will show both newly released and classic movies (this weekend’s schedule also includes stoner-throwback Bill and Ted Face the Music and Pixar’s Inside Out) and will also host drive-in concerts and other experiences. Each showing will allow up to 200 cars, and spots are first-come, first-serve. Event-goers will also get a give a fantastic view of downtown and a first glimpse of real estate investment group Midway’s 150-acre East River development, which has been inaccessible to Houstonians for years.

$25 (price includes a car permit and tickets for all passengers). Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema, 100 Bringhurst St. More info and tickets at moonstruckdrivein.com.

• Like 8

Went and saw Tenet at this drive-in last weekend. The experience was... lacking.

They really had an opportunity to do something genuinely cool and lift everyone's spirits in a time where we're all desperately in need of a little escape. Instead, this seemed like a minimum-possible-effort operation.

The screen is... acceptable. Not big, and definitely not bright. But it's a drive-in, so they mostly get a pass for that kind of stuff. They had a lot of audio technical issues up front, which resulted in none of the previews being watchable. It was thankfully fixed for the main feature, albeit starting at least 15 minutes late.

But where they really failed is in the experience surrounding the movie. There was one sad taco truck, one sad drinks tent run by The New Potato, and one bank of portapotties that... were out of order. The drink tent purported to sell beer, wine, and White Claw, but they were out of wine. With a little bit of effort they could really have made this into a fun, safe place to spend an evening that I'd be looking forward to returning to.

At least the skyline view is great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
9 minutes ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Went and saw Tenet at this drive-in last weekend. The experience was... lacking.

They really had an opportunity to do something genuinely cool and lift everyone's spirits in a time where we're all desperately in need of a little escape. Instead, this seemed like a minimum-possible-effort operation.

The screen is... acceptable. Not big, and definitely not bright. But it's a drive-in, so they mostly get a pass for that kind of stuff. They had a lot of audio technical issues up front, which resulted in none of the previews being watchable. It was thankfully fixed for the main feature, albeit starting at least 15 minutes late.

But where they really failed is in the experience surrounding the movie. There was one sad taco truck, one sad drinks tent run by The New Potato, and one bank of portapotties that... were out of order. The drink tent purported to sell beer, wine, and White Claw, but they were out of wine. With a little bit of effort they could really have made this into a fun, safe place to spend an evening that I'd be looking forward to returning to.

At least the skyline view is great.

From the moment I saw this was announced, I expected this. They hyped up an announcement for a theater, when they know everyone is waiting to see who will occupy the space, and they give us this, they aren't reading the room. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

I also went last Friday night to see Tenet and had a good time. It was my first drive in movie, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought, overall, it was a pleasant experience. There was one audio glitch in the middle of our showing, but they fixed it quickly and we didn't really have any problems. We brought a small AM/ FM radio, rolled down the windows, and snuck in our own snacks (I don't think you're supposed to do this, but no one really checked).

Pro Tip: we arrived at 7:30 (movie started at 8:30, gates opened at 7) and it was already about half full, so get there early. Also, we were expecting it to be a mess to pull out of after the film, but they directed traffic pretty efficiently.

Also, we talked to our friends who had gone to the drive in at Sawyer Yards ($40 a car/ Moonstruck was $25) and said that screen was small and poorly hung so that if you weren't dead center, you couldn't really watch the film. At Moonstruck, we were off to the side a little bit in a small sedan and had no issues.

My only suggestion is they dim the string lights near the concessions during the movie -- a little too bright for movie viewing!

(Edit: Spacing)

IMG_20200904_193127.jpg

Edited by 77011transplant
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Went last night and had a blast even with the rain. Saw Tenet and had no issues with the viewing. They had 2 food trucks and a couple of other vendors, plus the New Potato setup. Maybe there was just an off night last weekend?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In general, I'm not a fan of a single entity buying up so many acres and building a "community" like this from scratch, because I prefer more organic "fine grain" growth patterns.

However, this seems pretty good all things considering. It's very mixed use (a no-brainer in Houston anyway), has no streets larger than two lanes, and at least at a surface level seems to prioritizes pedestrian and bike traffic. A personal highlight is how they're building a new place for the Houston Maritime Museum right on the banks, that's going to be a beautiful place to hang out if it all comes together.

If I were to be nitpicky, I wonder if there are City of Houston regs/codes that are forcing the buildings to have such large setbacks, or if that's part of the style. Since it's 5 phases, maybe we'll see the effects of changing city codes all in this one development. It would also be great to see dedicated on or off street bike paths built in, or some better love shown to the bus route that goes by there. Maybe if the area continues to densify, we'll see a BRT line or something? The development def needs better transportation options than just the highway, it's a waste this close to the city center to force everyone to drive.

• Like 6
On 10/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, pm91 said:

the land looks pretty empty with the exception being a mural made out of shipping containers. No equipment on site.

Not a great sign. I appreciate them engaging the area with art and a drive-in theatre, but I would prefer to see boots on the ground. Makes me wonder what these "pending agreements with the city" entail.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Not a great sign. I appreciate them engaging the area with art and a drive-in theatre, but I would prefer to see boots on the ground. Makes me wonder what these "pending agreements with the city" entail.

We are in an election year and recession so it's kind of interesting people want huge projects built with these horrible fundamentals lols...

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Relax. Development, especially at this scale, takes time.

What "pending agreements with the city" are you referring to?

• Like 3