1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

That is going to be a problem with any pool. 

The problem increases with bayou proximity. I have a friend living near the Brazos River in Richmond, where there are very high bluffs. Lots of snakes and yes gators streaming through the neighborhood.

38 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Serious question because I don’t know, but if there are occasional gators in the bayous what’s stopping them from attacking a kayak or canoe?  Have there been incidents of this in Houston? 

Stranger things have happened. Some of us remember when Jimmy Carter was attacked by a giant rabbit.

rabbit.PNG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Serious question because I don’t know, but if there are occasional gators in the bayous what’s stopping them from attacking a kayak or canoe?  Have there been incidents of this in Houston? 

I've been attacked by a snake on the Guadalupe. I mean, it happens. But it's rare for gators to do it though... usually they steer clear in my experience. But if not, I guess at least you have a paddle?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 9:35 AM, cspwal said:

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

Really? It is only 1100 feet TOTAL from Jenson on the West to Meadow St on the East. Everywhere on this whole site plan you posted is less than 1/4 mile from anywhere else. This phase is only about 1/5 of a mile by 1/5 of a mile total.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

^^ I think that that area is cut just to keep the powerline easement clear and accessible.  I have not seen any concrete plans yet for any bridges of any kind over the bayou.  There do appear to be some on the MIDWAY conceptual plans, but I do not think that these are firmly confirmed or would even be build by Midway.  They would more likely be build by BBP. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

^^ I think that that area is cut just to keep the powerline easement clear and accessible.  I have not seen any concrete plans yet for any bridges of any kind over the bayou.  There do appear to be some on the MIDWAY conceptual plans, but I do not think that these are firmly confirmed or would even be build by Midway.  They would more likely be build by BBP. 

Well last I read the Greenways Project in conjunction with this development had the new bridges approved for construction.

• Like 1

There was a presentation at the East End District a couple weeks back where it was explained access for Jensen, Meadow and Gregg are all being removed/relocated back west of McKee, and that TXDOT has been using misdirection in wording when talking to the neighborhoods about keeping access. Apparently it seriously screws up access to Ninfas / Navigation and those businesses. 

We're in the Near Northside area and found out at a similar public meeting because of the expected huge increase in traffic. A representative with Greater Houston said they had been caught by surprise, but that it was on the list of grievances to address with TXDOT. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HOUTEX said:

There was a presentation at the East End District a couple weeks back where it was explained access for Jensen, Meadow and Gregg are all being removed/relocated back west of McKee, and that TXDOT has been using misdirection in wording when talking to the neighborhoods about keeping access. Apparently it seriously screws up access to Ninfas / Navigation and those businesses. 

We're in the Near Northside area and found out at a similar public meeting because of the expected huge increase in traffic. A representative with Greater Houston said they had been caught by surprise, but that it was on the list of grievances to address with TXDOT. 

Wow screw TXDOT

9 minutes ago, HOUTEX said:

Wow screw TXDOT

8 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I’ve kayaked in waters with a much higher consentration of gators than Buffalo Bayou and as long as you leave them alone and don’t get to close to a nest you’ll be fine. 

This part of Texas has a gator population of over half a million and they can be found in all bodies of water around Houston including Conore and Livingston. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HOUTEX said:

K75JoIq.jpg

I don't know. That looks like access to Jensen to me (circled in red). That took me what? maybe 5mins? Its ok to not like TxDOT. I don't really care for them much either, but this idea about TxDOT scheming in a backroom somewhere smoking cigars and talking about how they are enjoying eliminating access to the highway is a bit dull. I could easily insert "TxDOT" with "The Government" or "Society", and it would sound like every other conspiracy I've ever heard. 

Its hilarious how the same people who want TxDOT to build rail or bury highways all the sudden flip out when they don't get immediate access to the highway that they claim they hate so much. You can't have it both ways. Some sacrifices will have to be meet and some compromises will have to be reached.

They also can't just be sticking it to poor ole 5th Ward or poor ole Near Northside, because they are also limiting access over on the 59 side. I'm sure the rich folk in the Museum District, Boulevard Oaks, and Montrose/Midtown or rejoicing as I type.

Making something more efficient and better requires trimming the fat a bit. That means some access will be taken away so that the highway functions better overall....thats literally the definition of efficiency. Considering access to a highway isn't a fundamental right, its safe to say then the focus should be on the maximization of efficiency instead of the maximization of autonomy.

Oh, and considering how deeply rooted Greater Houston is embedded in many actions that happen in Houston, I'm willing to also go as far as to say that "Greater Houston" rep wasn't at all "surprised". If that person was then they suck at their job, or thought he/she would get mobbed if he/she said otherwise.

I hate the fact that I actually have to defend TxDOT, but this monkey business has to stop.

EDIT: @j_cuevas713 come on man. you are a good contributor, and I enjoy reading your comments. Any other day I would stand with you to give TxDOT the middle finger, but its gotta make sense. Do better.

EDIT 2: Just for kicks I thought I'd look into Gregg St Area. Found something interesting here too

68WfOak.jpg

Its funny because Waco St which leads into Hirsch Rd. which leads into N. York St. (we really should fix that huh) goes directly to Navigation Blvd. meaning its a way better access point than having anything from Gregg St. I think Ninfa's will be ok. East End will be just fine. You WANT access from Gregg St, but it seems you are getting exactly the access you NEED.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, HOUTEX said:

yup, if you want Jensen you have to exit back at McKee. Not a huge deal, it adds 2 extra signaled intersections.

The problem is, if you want to get from 45SB to the McKee exit so you can make it to Jensen street you have to cross 4 lanes of traffic in exceedingly short order. less than 1/4 mile?

you will still be able to exit from i-10 (either way) into downtown and turn left of Franklin to get you to Navigation, but again, not as ideal as it is now.

Once this development is up and running access from a freeway (any freeway) is going to be poor.

35 minutes ago, samagon said:

yup, if you want Jensen you have to exit back at McKee. Not a huge deal, it adds 2 extra signaled intersections.

The problem is, if you want to get from 45SB to the McKee exit so you can make it to Jensen street you have to cross 4 lanes of traffic in exceedingly short order. less than 1/4 mile?

you will still be able to exit from i-10 (either way) into downtown and turn left of Franklin to get you to Navigation, but again, not as ideal as it is now.

Once this development is up and running access from a freeway (any freeway) is going to be poor.

I actually agree that there should probably be a more straightforward off ramp to Jensen. I'm wondering if they are having problems with clearing the railroad underneath making an approach entrance too steep to be worth it. Currently the railroad would actually go over the highway?

My contention is that the way they are currently positioning the current configuration is probably due to logistics rather than some harebrained scheme to screw the locals. This is an incredibly complex project with a lot of moving pieces. The odds of the quirks in this design arising from incompetence or logistical issues is higher than what could be attributed to malice.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I actually agree that there should probably be a more straightforward off ramp to Jensen. I'm wondering if they are having problems with clearing the railroad underneath making an approach entrance too steep to be worth it. Currently the railroad would actually go over the highway?

My contention is that the way they are currently positioning the current configuration is probably due to logistics rather than some harebrained scheme to screw the locals. This is an incredibly complex project with a lot of moving pieces. The odds of the quirks in this design arising from incompetence or logistical issues is higher than what could be attributed to malice.

I absolutely agree, I do not believe that any of the choices they have made were made out of malice. 

That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

"your intentions were in the right place, so all is forgiven, please proceed with knocking development of these neighborhoods back a few decades in relation to other areas of the city." 

• Like 1

Not a conspiracy theory at all. There's an exit today at both McKee, and at Jensen. TXDOT is eliminating the latter and parsing words such that people will think the exit is only being moved to make it easier on themselves - no malice required. Two access points going to one. Seems pretty black and white.

If you care to attack me or poke fun for simply passing along what we heard that's fine, but fact is a that will create more traffic issues getting into Near Northside and makes access to the Fifth Ward and East End more difficult.

10 hours ago, Luminare said:

Its funny because Waco St which leads into Hirsch Rd. which leads into N. York St. (we really should fix that huh) goes directly to Navigation Blvd. meaning its a way better access point than having anything from Gregg St. I think Ninfa's will be ok. East End will be just fine. You WANT access from Gregg St, but it seems you are getting exactly the access you NEED.

And just to add, Hirsch runs right by the eastern edge of the East River property (albeit the last stage to be developed), so this will probably be the preferred route for interstate traffic to reach the development.

(which is great news for me, as I’ll be walking or biking there from the other direction and won’t have as much vehicular traffic to deal with 👍🏻)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angostura said:

Don't need 'em.

I'd rather we get buildings that look good from the sidewalk, rather than from a helicopter, freeway or rendering. You can actually get tons of density at mid-rise heights as long as you don't surround the buildings with surface parking or green space that no one ever sets foot in. They've also managed to keep the internal rights-of-way reasonably narrow.

Cities like Paris and Barcelona achieve really high densities with essentially nothing over 8 stories.

See Washington, DC

4 hours ago, HOUTEX said:

Not a conspiracy theory at all. There's an exit today at both McKee, and at Jensen. TXDOT is eliminating the latter and parsing words such that people will think the exit is only being moved to make it easier on themselves - no malice required. Two access points going to one. Seems pretty black and white.

If you care to attack me or poke fun for simply passing along what we heard that's fine, but fact is a that will create more traffic issues getting into Near Northside and makes access to the Fifth Ward and East End more difficult.

No, they are not eliminating the exit to Jensen. Merely relocating it.

• Like 1