Remember. This whole property was already developed by KBR. It's not like this is new or reclaimed land. Flooding has never been an issue. With Harvey, the worst flood event we have ever seen, it still was not an issue. True for vertically all the East side.  That said...a storm surge, from precisely the worst hurricane scenario, could cause a backflow that could greatly impact the Eastern side of the city. 

20 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I like this project.  It will be great.

although I am repeatedly surprised that renders for this project (and other projects), in a town as diverse as Houston, continue to show (in this case) one women of color among all the dozens of “people” pictured.  Utterly tone deaf, in my opinion.

Harvard did this for their East End study. Be careful what you wish for. It was a very large lady yelling at her kids. Looked like something out of a ghetto walmart.

Sometimes a berm is close to a river bend. I don't know about here. But the "Crescent" in New Orleans, the part of the city they built on originally is on the bank of the Mississippi. 

The land next to White Oak on 19th wasn't flooding, but a block south it was, and at 11th it was in houses many blocks deep. So it's not so much about how close land is as how elevated land is. 

On 7/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, Urbannizer said:

Another subdivision plat filed. You'll have to run through the current agenda's spreadsheet to take a look.

https://edrc.houstontx.gov/edrc/login.aspx

I dont know if this will take you to the link directly but its is telling that they will be demoing the exsiting moving / storage company if they move from west to east. 

ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov/2018/Applications//2018-1450/SubdivisionPlatPDF_EastRiverSection1.pdf

On 7/14/2018 at 11:02 PM, Naviguessor said:

Remember. This whole property was already developed by KBR. It's not like this is new or reclaimed land. Flooding has never been an issue. With Harvey, the worst flood event we have ever seen, it still was not an issue. True for vertically all the East side.  That said...a storm surge, from precisely the worst hurricane scenario, could cause a backflow that could greatly impact the Eastern side of the city. 

this I think is key to understand. 

It's not a greenfield, they're not building on pristine land to take away area along the bayou that acts as a natural flood control.

It's brownfield, you go and look at the site, it's actually concrete fields with grass growing here and there. The site is very elevated compared to the flood plane.

Even though the site is right next to the bayou, it is probably one of the safer locations to be in a flood.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Angostura said:

That this is going to get done before Regent Square, which is in a much more desirable part of town, will never not be amazing to me.

As someone who lives maybe a mile from the East River site and has been eagerly awaiting progress on this development, I take offense to your objectively-accurate statement regarding which would be the “more desirable” part of town. :P

Yes, Regent Square in the NE is for more of a Suburban environment. I know they want walkable and all of that but they will have plenty of parking and cater to a different group of people. East River will be a destination for people from downtown. It will be geared to a different audience. Thats why i believe that each site will develop differently and in parallel.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Yes, Regent Square in the NE is for more of a Suburban environment. I know they want walkable and all of that but they will have plenty of parking and cater to a different group of people. East River will be a destination for people from downtown. It will be geared to a different audience. Thats why i believe that each site will develop differently and in parallel.

They seem pretty similar to me and appear to cater to the same group of people. Just one company appears to be more ambitious than the other.

I agree that they’re similar. Both look quite urban, judging from renderings. There are highrises/midrises in both and both are pedestrian oriented w/office, retail and residential.  I love the unique opportunities and interactions that exist with the “East River” project literally hugging a long stretch of the bayou. I think this will be a major distinction between the two projects. But I guess final judgement can’t be made until both projects are somewhat built out. 

6 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Much sheeshier demographic targeted at Regent Square, it's next to River Oaks for crying out loud. East River will be more Brooklyn vs. maybe Upper West Side at Regents. I don't expect high end shopping at East River.

Lol. Is the shopping on West Gray sheeshier? Give me a break. The Eastend is transforming like the Westend in the late  ‘90s. None of these projects will be the River Oaks Dstrict.

Just give us a reason to not pass Downtown to buy some quality work/casual/workout clothes, a solid HEB Market, add some more bars & more quality restaurants.

Oh, and a Total Wine. Shee shee!

12 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Lol. Is the shopping on West Gray sheeshier? Give me a break. The Eastend is transforming like the Westend in the late  ‘90s. None of these projects will be the River Oaks Dstrict.

Just give us a reason to not pass Downtown to buy some quality work/casual/workout clothes, a solid HEB Market, add some more bars & more quality restaurants.

Oh, and a Total Wine. Shee shee!

Why the animosity?

20 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Much sheeshier demographic targeted at Regent Square, it's next to River Oaks for crying out loud. East River will be more Brooklyn vs. maybe Upper West Side at Regents. I don't expect high end shopping at East River.

You don't expect it why? If you're basing it off of the local demographic then I'd say you're wrong.

We were comparing the look and feel of the two projects, not the demographics. But obviously both areas are very different at the moment. But I will say the demographics in EaDo/East End have steadily been evolving in the 9 years I’ve lived in the East End and it will only continue to evolve even more so in time. Many inner loopers who’ve been priced out of the westside and some who also initially made many of the now hip neighborhoods (Heights / Montrose) what they are today, have migrated to EaDo or the East End. This trend won’t stop anytime soon. Compared to the popular westside neighborhoods, the EaDo/East End areas are both affordable (for now) and still just as close to downtown, if not closer  in some instances. 

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You don't expect it why? If you're basing it off of the local demographic then I'd say you're wrong.

Developers as well as investors (buyers) and retailers (potential tenants) look at demographics at 1, 3, and 5 mile radii, sometimes 10 mile for a large project. You will have high income residents in this project and downtown of course, but across those radii there is no comparison with the Regents Square location. They also look at existing retail in the area for proven success. I think this will be a great project and I personally like it better than Regents but I do not expect the same kind of retail as at Regents.

4 hours ago, intencity77 said:

We were comparing the look and feel of the two projects, not the demographics. But obviously both areas are very different at the moment. But I will say the demographics in EaDo/East End have steadily been evolving in the 9 years I’ve lived in the East End and it will only continue to evolve even more so in time. Many inner loopers who’ve been priced out of the westside and some who also initially made many of the now hip neighborhoods (Heights / Montrose) what they are today, have migrated to EaDo or the East End. This trend won’t stop anytime soon. Compared to the popular westside neighborhoods, the EaDo/East End areas are both affordable (for now) and still just as close to downtown, if not closer  in some instances. 

Exactly! There have been a number of changes (all for the better) in the four years I’ve been in Second Ward. It’s exciting to think of what this area will look like in ten years. Projects like East River (although technically Fifth Ward) will go a long way to expediting the growth and development in this area.

11 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Why the animosity?

Just an exchange of opinions. Just think it’s silly to say a development with such shee shee rents for an Alamo draft house would dwarf in anything midway could do in a sea of +$300k townhomes. Except Midway doesn’t have any competition like RSquare does on West Gray. Which is nothing to scoff at either. Despite being at the front door of river oaks.