6 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

i met one of the dumbest people I have ever met tonight.
She owns a bar across the street from this property,. She bitched about everything having to do with the old KBR site. I was like, you don't realize the gold mine you're sitting on. I'll buy your bar when your ignorance takes over... lol

My guess is that the bar does not own the land and the landlord may be looking to raise the rent to cover the jump in property value. She will be in quite a rough spot trying to cover increased expenses while waiting for the customers to show up across the street.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

i met one of the dumbest people I have ever met tonight.
She owns a bar across the street from this property,. She bitched about everything having to do with the old KBR site. I was like, you don't realize the gold mine you're sitting on. I'll buy your bar when your ignorance takes over... lol

The Bar across the street (The New Potato) loves this lot and maintains a very good relationship with Midway. The owner is a guy named Paul and they built the bar with the plan to establish an early footprint in this area. Best hidden bar in town!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Info on the variance request, including street cross-sections and a site land-use layout, are in this week's planning commission agenda. (Item 99, pg 125)

The ask is pretty modest: 50-ft RoWs on some of the internal streets. Layouts would be 70-ft between facades, 36-38 ft between curbs. It's only a 10-ft reduction in Ch 42's RoW requirements, and 50-ft RoWs are already permitted for SF-only streets.

The site layout shows 6 streets taking access from Clinton (for the most part aligned with the existing street grid north of Clinton), and one each taking access from Jensen and Hirsch. There are six easements ranging from 15-ft to 40-ft in width, between the internal streets and the bayou for Hike & Bike trail access.

Most of the Clinton Dr frontage appears to be dedicated to townhouses. The site also includes 8 multifamily sites, 10 office sites, a dozen or so retail sites, a theater, a hotel and a museum.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

The Bar across the street (The New Potato) loves this lot and maintains a very good relationship with Midway. The owner is a guy named Paul and they built the bar with the plan to establish an early footprint in this area. Best hidden bar in town!

When people are drunk you get the truth out of them.
She was drunk last night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

When people are drunk you get the truth out of them.
She was drunk last night.

Quit taking advantage of drunks Tumbleweed! lol

Its interesting too see the land that Midways owns and how that will be developed vs the land that Cathexsis owns and how that is developing. 

17 hours ago, lockmat said:

Under the current Chapter 42 standards, we could hypothetically provide only one north/south public street throughout the entire development and no east/west streets (what?! Ridonculous!).

Ridiculous, but not entirely incorrect.

Clinton Dr is a major thoroughfare. Chapter 42 allows for intersection spacing of up to 2600-ft along major thoroughfares, and the Clinton Dr frontage is around 5000 ft. However, there are already two public N-S streets on the property, so to provide only one would require the city abandoning the other one.

Right, but it's ridiculous that Chapter 42 allows that. It should instead require more reasonable block lengths so that developers would have to apply for a variance for more than, oh, let's say 1400' b/w streets (that Planning Commission would of course immediately rubber stamp, but still!, it's the principle!)

14 hours ago, Texasota said:

Right, but it's ridiculous that Chapter 42 allows that. It should instead require more reasonable block lengths so that developers would have to apply for a variance for more than, oh, let's say 1400' b/w streets (that Planning Commission would of course immediately rubber stamp, but still!, it's the principle!)

How about 300-ft?

The only parts of the city with compact grid layouts and reasonable-sized blocks are the areas platted pre Ch 42.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Texasota said:

I would probably argue for somewhere around 600' as a maximum - depending on how it's measured 300' might actually be a bit smaller than a standard downtown block.

Downtown/EaDo are 330-ft from center of ROW to center of ROW; 250-ft plus 80-ft of ROW. (43% city-owned land area)

I think 4th ward is the tightest: 200 x 250, plus 30-ft RoWs. (22% city-owned land area)

• Like 1

I'm totally lost on the ROW's and bw's and everything you are talking about in the last six or seven posts. Is there some where I can go to educate myself about these standard ROW's and the other jargon your speaking. Sorry I'm sure for real estate and planning people this is very simple but it could be greek for all I don't know.

Thanks

On 6/9/2018 at 8:47 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

Midway meeting with locals in 5th ward to discuss the East River property this past week at The New Potato.

Were there any updates on whether there is a timeline for breaking ground? Also was their a change to their plans.. because the most recent mock up displayed the west side of the property as labeled section I and as far as I knew they were building east to west. The spot marked for theatre in the far west is ripe for the first Alamo Draft House inside the loop and would be a total game changer if that were the case. My biggest hopes for the property are a movie theater, a grocery store and possibly a gym. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

Naviguessor was at the meeting and in the photo above, enjoying his 2nd Lone Star.  The biggest takeaways that were shared are that the property will now be developed West to East, which is a change to the plan.  Construction is expected to start within 24 months.  Of course, Midway will not divulge any parties that they are in negotiations with, including retail, entertainment or "museum" concepts.  The "candyland" map that Midway submitted to the CoH is still strictly conceptual, for the planning board to use in their consideration for the Street proposal.  The actual plan will be driven by market forces but is still expected to be a very rich mix uses and densities.  Bayou access is and will continue to be a priority and are very engaged with BBP. 

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

Naviguessor was at the meeting and in the photo above, enjoying his 2nd Lone Star.  The biggest takeaways that were shared are that the property will now be developed West to East, which is a change to the plan.  Construction is expected to start within 24 months.  Of course, Midway will not divulge any parties that they are in negotiations with, including retail, entertainment or "museum" concepts.  The "candyland" map that Midway submitted to the CoH is still strictly conceptual, for the planning board to use in their consideration for the Street proposal.  The actual plan will be driven by market forces but is still expected to be a very rich mix uses and densities.  Bayou access is and will continue to be a priority and are very engaged with BBP. 

That's a little bizarre to start West to East. So a vacant building will sit on the East side for a while then?

I think that the West to East Makes sense, since that end is how the majority of the traffic approaches the property.  Midway, did indicate that the Large building on the site (with HTX or AMAZN in lights) will be preserved in hopes of landing a major tenant.  If this were to happen, I am sure that they will develop the land differently.  The other buildings on the property will likely all be removed.  But, for now, the parcel between Jensen and Meadow, is expected to be the first to see any real action.  

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

East End Management District has a proposed street car connecting this neighborhood with Eado and Navigation. Would be a huge game changer. 

It would tie that whole east side of downtown in the way the red line ties midtown and downtown together