Jump to content
citykid09

East River: KBR Site Puchased by Midway

Recommended Posts

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

 

  • Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

 

  • Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

 

 

 

 

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

 

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of a bridge here to the public park Silos across the water. It would connect some of the Ninfas traffic and expensive townhomes across the water to this location. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Triton said:

 

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

 

This was partly going to be my criticism for that presentation about the highway project. That project doesn't exist in a vacuum. Just because they have to move doesn't mean they will just poof disappear. There are many many projects happening in this city. They will be able to move where ever they want too and do different things. Same with the people that have to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meadow street could extend across to Nagle street, or you could have a bridge from the silos park to in front of retail pavilion E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that they are waiting for East End Management District to pay for some things.... I somehow doubt that 5th Ward CRC or TIRZ 18 is going to take the money from this property and re-invest it in this area. Look for that money to be invested in the north side of 5th ward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cspwal said:

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

 

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

I think you exaggerating quite a bit. To the theater, I see a one block set back from the Jensen metro stops as well as a half a block distance from Clinton metro stops.  If the East End has its way, then there would be a street car to n Jensen and Clinton. But...I’ll believe that when I see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the new potato will be LONG gone by the time Phase 2 rolls out. The owner is a moron who complains about everything having to do with East River.
This is unfortunate because I also preferred it to Little Woodrows- there are less sports douchebags hanging out at TNP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cspwal said:

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

 

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

 

The parcels fronting the road appear to be slated for future multi-family, judging by the renderings. This would probably encourage transit use more than having the retail on the road.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt that...On many levels. I know the owner pretty well, and he has got no problem with East River. In fact he is pretty good friends with people of Midway, who are anoung his customers. TNP has big plans for the future. 

I think I may know who you are referring to. But, I assure you that they are not the one who is running the place. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Triton said:

What type of theatre are we talking about here?

 

 

Undoubtedly a movie theater. Hopefully we finally get our first in the loop Alamo Draft House. 

 

Hopefully, in addition to a theater, the first phase includes a Grocery Store and a Gym of some sort. 

 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Triton said:

What type of theatre are we talking about here?

 

From the renders/ floor plans it looks like a movie theater. Could be an Alamo Drafthouse, but judging from the aesthetic they are trying to go for it looks like it will be some kind of specialty/boutique kind of theater which could be interesting. Whats really cool is that its not just the theater, but it will have a full floor of ground floor retail at the bottom. That would be unique if that bottom part could be a grocer with a movie theater on top. I don't know any examples of that kind of combination. Thats speculation, but look at the vastness of the open plan for the ground floor retail it looks like a pitch to large format retail anchor tenant. The higher ceiling on that first floor could be plenty of space for a grocer. Logistics to make something like that work would be fun to work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think you could do a full grocery store below this... Maybe something like a phonecia? They seem to have a space marked for a brewery here. Would be nice to have a winery in there too. More entertainment focused. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I dont think you could do a full grocery store below this... Maybe something like a phonecia? They seem to have a space marked for a brewery here. Would be nice to have a winery in there too. More entertainment focused. 

 

 

You're totally right, I didn't even notice the largest building that isn't the proposed theater or the museum is just over 11,000 SQ Ft.  Maybe we will see that they are going to use the land at Canal/Navigation/Runnels for a more centralized store, closer to Downtown and East Downtown.

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not Alamo Draft House, a boutique type cinema would be nice too. We have a Violet Crown here in Santa Fe, NM and it’s really nice. I feel since AMC bought out Sundance downtown there has a been a real void of this type cinema on this side of town. 

Is the “anchor tenant” below the cinema where the grocery store is to go? It is the largest retail space at 27k sq. ft. Unless by grocery store, you mean Sprouts or Trader Joe’s which utilize smaller footprints?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, I don’t see any explicit mention of a possible space for a grocery store. Maybe one of those retail buildings would be large enough to accommodate something like a medium-sized HEB?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, intencity77 said:

If not Alamo Draft House, a boutique type cinema would be nice too. We have a Violet Crown here in Santa Fe, NM and it’s really nice. I feel since AMC bought out Sundance downtown there has a been a real void of this type cinema in town. 

Is the “anchor tenant” below the cinema where the grocery store is to go? It is the largest retail space at 27k sq. ft. Unless by grocery store, you mean Sprouts or Trader Joe’s which utilize smaller footprints?

 

Thats a great example. I lean more to a boutique based on the layout itself. They are smaller more intimate theater settings which is the upcoming trend for theaters. Thats how they are going to survive and thrive is if they switch from a generic suburban model to a model that is reminiscent of the grand theaters that once existed. Just the look of the building itself says: I'm unique and interesting.

 

27k is a very large space and could be plenty of room for a grocer of whatever kind. It would be a great idea to keep that place active at all hours with a greater variety of people than just ones seeking entertainment. I could image it being an interesting setting where one goes to see a matinee and then goes to the grocer before going home. Lots of possibilities. We have to get our minds out of the idea of a big box store and bring in the idea of urban setting. Urban settings that I've been to have this kind of flexibility and wide range of uses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Luminare said:

 

They could also do it to where its one story above and one story below ground.

I think this is on the high side of the bayou, but I’d be leery about below-grade retail as a grocer given that most outlets for refrigeration and point of sale equipment are in the floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Luminare said:

 

They could also do it to where its one story above and one story below ground.

 

Edit: Double Post. 

Edited by houstontexasjack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Trader Joes for specialty things or an option to some groceries, but it doesn't carry all of the dry goods and other things that a normal grocery store carries. 

I think the east end needs a full service store with all the bells and whistles.Then add a Trader Joe's. 

We have an Aldi in our neighborhood and its very similar to Trader Joes in products and is actually owned by the same company.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I really like Trader Joes for specialty things or an option to some groceries, but it doesn't carry all of the dry goods and other things that a normal grocery store carries. 

I think the east end needs a full service store with all the bells and whistles.Then add a Trader Joe's. 

We have an Aldi in our neighborhood and its very similar to Trader Joes in products and is actually owned by the same company.

 

It's a common misconception, but Aldi and Trader Joe's are not owned by the same company.  Two brothers had a single family enterprise until a friendly division of assets in 1960. Since then they have been wholly separate, distinct and unrelated corporations and operations, one named Aldi Süd and the other named Aldi Nord. Aldi Süd operates the Aldi groceries in the United States. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joes.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

 

It's a common misconception, but Aldi and Trader Joe's are not owned by the same company.  Two brothers had a single family enterprise until a friendly division of assets in 1960. Since then they have been wholly separate, distinct and unrelated corporations and operations, one named Aldi Süd and the other named Aldi Nord. Aldi Süd operates the Aldi groceries in the United States. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joes.

 

no Aldi Ost or Aldi West?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, intencity77 said:

The planned museum, if not the Maritime Museum, would be pretty awesome as a Meow Wolf annex. They are an immersive, interactive and artist driven exhibition that has really taken off since it opened in 2016 and expanding to different markets. They have multi-million dollar expansions planned in Denver, Washington D.C., Las Vegas and a hotel/exhibit concept in Phoenix. I don’t know if Houston is “vibrant” or “hip” enough to support one but it might pair nicely with the overall vibe of this project. 

 

Not a huge fan of Meow Wolf compared to Sleep No More or Houston's own DinoLion. 

 

http://sites.uci.edu/form/files/2015/01/Greenberg-Clement-Avant-Garde-and-Kitsch-copy.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

It's a common misconception, but Aldi and Trader Joe's are not owned by the same company.  Two brothers had a single family enterprise until a friendly division of assets in 1960. Since then they have been wholly separate, distinct and unrelated corporations and operations, one named Aldi Süd and the other named Aldi Nord. Aldi Süd operates the Aldi groceries in the United States. Aldi Nord owns Trader Joes.

 

Good Lord, another Adidas and Puma!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you guys satisfied with the connectivity to the bayou from what we can see? Kind of feels like a miss opportunity for a cool element fronting the bayou. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Are you guys satisfied with the connectivity to the bayou from what we can see? Kind of feels like a miss opportunity for a cool element fronting the bayou. 

 

 

I'm going to hold off judgment until we see what Buffalo Bayou has planned here. We should be hearing from them with regards to the East Sector fairly soon.  I recall that the idea was to allow BBP to have an easement on the land fronting the bayou. It could be that the brochure does not include bridges that have not been finalized by the BBP or it could be that the scope of connectivity to the south side of the bayou is more limited than expected. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish we got a canoe, kayak, and SUP landing. That would be cool. Something similar to Zilker Park in Austin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Triton said:

Wish we got a canoe, kayak, and SUP landing. That would be cool. Something similar to Zilker Park in Austin.

 

http://www.buffalobayourc.org/

 

So do they. I'm not sure what the timeline is on it and where they want to put it but I wouldn't be surprised if they are included in the East Sector Master Plan coming up. 

 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Triton said:

Wish we got a canoe, kayak, and SUP landing. That would be cool. Something similar to Zilker Park in Austin.

 

I’d go for the Swimming Hole as part of the development first.

 

The Bayou has water quality issues ... not sure why people would want to kayak in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

 

I’d go for the Swimming Hole as part of the development first.

 

The Bayou has water quality issues ... not sure why people would want to kayak in it.

 

Or have both.

 

The bayou water quality issues are mainly a factor for the eastern end near the industry. And even that area would afford the best recreation for this city if it gets cleaned up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

 

Or have both.

 

The bayou water quality issues are mainly a factor for the eastern end near the industry. And even that area would afford the best recreation for this city if it gets cleaned up.

 

All the runoff water from the Katy Freeway and Westheimer probably isn't the best thing for human skin. And chemicals from half a million lawns. Not sure if there is still sewage draining into the bayou as there was for most of its history. That being said, I would take a canoe on it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

This  development is on the north side of the Bayou near Clinton Dr,  correct?

Never mind. Found the answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've kayaked Buffalo Bayou all the way down to here. It's actually a lot of fun and gives you a different perspective on the city.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years back we took a canoe from Shepherd to the east side near the navigation/ canal area and it was quite an interesting trip.

It's really interesting to see up close the old buildings that butt up to the bayou and how it changes once you get past downtown.

I'm looking forward to seeing BBP's revised plans for the east side of downtown.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This development will truly set great precedent for linear development farther east down the bayou. Houston is going to become a real Bayou City! Much more long-term value than staying out west, with nothing but flat land and cow pastures.

Edited by AnTonY
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 1:40 PM, I'm Not a Robot said:

 

 

I'm going to hold off judgment until we see what Buffalo Bayou has planned here. We should be hearing from them with regards to the East Sector fairly soon.  I recall that the idea was to allow BBP to have an easement on the land fronting the bayou. It could be that the brochure does not include bridges that have not been finalized by the BBP or it could be that the scope of connectivity to the south side of the bayou is more limited than expected. 

Great point. If possible, I think  something like what spaghetti warehouse is doing with their renovation, (built for floods) would be cool fronting the bayou. Also,  does anybody recall the rendering of Buffalo Bayou where some sort of boardwalk was drawn?  Could have been purely conceptual but I cant remember at what end of the bayou that was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 8:41 PM, mattyt36 said:

 

I’d go for the Swimming Hole as part of the development first.

 

The Bayou has water quality issues ... not sure why people would want to kayak in it.

 

East River would actually be a really good place to incorporate the watering hole idea. A commercial development similar Brisbane, Australia's Streets Beach development would be a very strong anchor for the retail side of this. They had a similar issue with water quality so they pumped the river water in and filtered it for the pool.

 

streets-beach-577458d9403fe31c15e7b7b1.a

 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lagoon+South+Bank/@-27.4784919,153.0236878,381m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x6b91579aac93d233:0x402a35af3deaf40!2sBrisbane+QLD,+Australia!3b1!8m2!3d-27.4697707!4d153.0251235!3m4!1s0x6b915a0ef5541857:0xbc6a81b1602ce03!8m2!3d-27.4782822!4d153.0235702

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Looks beautiful. Of course you would need full time staff removing water moccasins and the occasional gator that crawls in.

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The banks are high/steep enough in this area to keep out the crocs (20-30ft above water level). I wouldnt see them having more trouble than a Balmoral on keeping snakes out once fully developed. That is going to be a problem with any pool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...