citykid09

East River - KBR Site Puchased by Midway

Ive been watching this area like a hawk. I check several times a week for you alls update. I really appreciate you guys input. I just though i i would add to the conversation. Alot of my information, i was assuming you guys already knew. Im just a rookie. Thanks for your input.

• Like 4

In the rumor mill, Midway mentioned that one of the first things that they will build will be the proposed on-site museum.... Dont know what the museum will be about.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

In the rumor mill, Midway mentioned that one of the first things that they will build will be the proposed on-site museum.... Dont know what the museum will be about.

Not out of the realm of possibility. The Museum District has been wanting to establish an "East Campus" for awhile I think. Do we have a museum dedicated to industry or energy? I think with this being at the door step of the ship channel and the entire industrial/ energy sector it would be a great way to showcase that aspect of the city.

....really want to see renders of this master plan.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I think it will be the Maritime Museum. They just opened a temporary location on Canal. The director's message alludes to this as well. 

https://houstonmaritime.org/about/director-s-message

Based on the larger scope of the project and its importance to the city and beyond, we are pursuing a new and more central location just east of downtown Houston along the banks of Buffalo Bayou. The museum will be a part of a large mixed-use development and easily accessible from all directions.

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 9

That does seem to describe an East River location a little better than the Turning Basin location.   Intriguing Find, Robot. 

• Like 2

"A $45 million Capital Campaign will kickoff this fall with our ground breaking planned for mid 2018 and completion scheduled for end of 2019. For updates on our exciting new voyage, please visit BuildHMM.com."

They may be running a bit behind schedule. 

On 6/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, lockmat said:

https://edrc.houstontx.gov/edrc/login.aspx

Click on Current Agenda

A-g2p9_izsiZcaLOToEkv99ZOxnJUyBM2fWtHI5_T_5hbfWeSZZJ9SLvVmO0_Qd7d1w1eVhZIlW3v3n8Mnogy4eMQTkGaRXspdrREPfO-fYN7WMYfmvGzc1MYfMMjlKjLCNnxaGmqfKZB-W_yVjCaEC-Da0Kbjc-TeyMMT5n1bYqhQfgbsfJJ9vEpvGAswmMwkO4Hz15hRn2q2zWTVw9wSnZa8WgllKCsmJ_s9a4x5SlvWGKRETsh_leR1oPHO31kSJYUzK3LiTtdC12kEVO5bNq0weQwbOqtUZREjhA2YuLWiwBVdug1kSnksPt9t4iIIGX2bwhsy0DymmkqobTFvkYnJ3IQjZbanB19Xy7hW7cRTwM3Ewh44VMXd_fQM2Wv1lbwrg-1xpoDvXUrTM6t7oa2I0QLNL-q3dzuo9i89ZEXQCCQ0-f6nEHquNq2j80koKnu3gKSZl7cmUIqclOMaItqv1VMQn8AN_ZhTjHltCd-AARpsfmtGZ6WGYlyLKd4VH5KYFlKs5xP7ynsMXO03QJmLnZP5jIChcVe5QhoAZ3FWPFy1K2D7ldBD1uzU9mPBIlvJZAQxDEAvdJHwNkPMjUCdnpjl7v82sHVrX6=w960-h600-no

Street names:

Zydeco Drive

Port View Ave

George Brown St.

Herman Brown St.

Third Coast Ave.

S. Battery St.

N. Battery St.

Dan Root Blvd

Barbara Jordan Ave

Bringhurst St.

Kermac Blvd.

Bayou City Dr.

Hike and Bike trail runs along Hirsch

If section labels are an indication of phases, they run from west to east.

Under the current Chapter 42 standards, we could hypothetically provide only one north/south public street throughout the entire development and no east/west streets (what?! Ridonculous!). Alternatively, we have decided to incorporate several public streets, many aligning with connections to the north of the site, to create smaller and more walkable blocks.

This site will be able to be accessed easily both by future residents of the development and surrounding neighborhoods. It will also activate the bayou frontage. There will be several connections to the bayou waterfront for pedestrians and the developer is granting an easement to the Buffalo Bayou Partnership to continue the trail system everyone is so fond of on the west side of downtown.

Pedestrian bridges are being discussed with Buffalo Bayou Partnership to connect the two sides of the bayou.

The site layout for this development was designed with complete streets in mind. Pedestrians and bikes have received just as much attention as automobiles. There will be dedicated on-street bike lanes along Bayou City Drive, Gregg Street (in accordance with Houston Bike Plan), and Barbara Jordan Avenue. The rest of the development will have shared bike lanes, but the low speeds and traffic calming design measures undertaken will make it a safe development for all modes of transportation. The developer is committed to promoting a live/work lifestyle with East River.

There will be several parks throughout the development totaling approximately 19 acres. Some will be located adjacent to the trail being dedicated to the Buffalo Bayou Partnership and the rest will be mixed in with the myriad land-uses.

Did anyone save the layout from the above post. Also for the museum

"A $45 million Capital Campaign will kickoff this fall with our ground breaking planned for mid 2018 and completion scheduled for end of 2019. For updates on our exciting new voyage, please visit BuildHMM.com."

They may be running a bit behind schedule. 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2019 at 6:49 PM, Naviguessor said:

Some activity observed on the west end of the site this week. Lots of stakes with colored flags placed, well east of the demo’d warehouse. And, today, and excavator and dozer were working where the warehouse was. It’s the first heavy equipment on the site since demolition. 

Waiting for Midway’s annual report to come out. Maybe there be some more info in that. 

Yeah, today I noticed a lot of dirt being moved around in that area.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Sucks when you take pictures but the site limits your size to 0.4MB

Yeah - you run out of space on here pretty quickly - try a site like Flickr....you can link photos from there

On 1/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, Naviguessor said:

That does seem to describe an East River location a little better than the Turning Basin location.   Intriguing Find, Robot. 

Smart move. They should have a much easier time getting visitors to come to their museum at Midways East River development, vs out at the ship channel turning basin.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 11:38 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

Yeah - you run out of space on here pretty quickly - try a site like Flickr....you can link photos from there

imgur is my go-to

• Like 3

4 hours ago, samagon said:

imgur is my go-to

Mine too, but don't try their apps for iPads or iPhones because they don't have a way to link to sites like this in them, as I found out when I was without a desktop.

• Like 1

This has to be in reference to the East River site:

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc/news/opportunity-zones/with-help-of-opportunity-zone-incubator-fund-targets-development-around-hbcus-97695?rt=67397

Five opportunity funds have been involved with the incubator thus far. In addition to the HBCU fund, the incubator is helping launch funds targeting startup companies in New Orleans, businesses in the Pacific Northwest, economic development in the Gulf Coast and commercial development in Houston's Fifth Ward. 

• Like 2

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/midway-is-in-early-stages-of-transforming-the-old-kbr-complex-east-of-downtown-11238927

No new information, but it does link to an article where, in the comments, a user states he was told a grocery store would be the first project. Whoever puts the first store here is going to quickly realize that multiple surrounding neighborhoods, Including Downtown, are starved for a closer store. 

When I drove by this morning, It seemed like there were more people working on site  than normal. I'm excited to see a timeline and I'm wondering how long Midway will hold off on sharing more information for such plans and any estimates on phase I construction. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/midway-is-in-early-stages-of-transforming-the-old-kbr-complex-east-of-downtown-11238927

No new information, but it does link to an article where, in the comments, a user states he was told a grocery store would be the first project. Whoever puts the first store here is going to quickly realize that multiple surrounding neighborhoods, Including Downtown, are starved for a closer store. 

When I drove by this morning, It seemed like there were more people working on site  than normal. I'm excited to see a timeline and I'm wondering how long Midway will hold off on sharing more information for such plans and any estimates on phase I construction. 

With HEB's rapid growth in the urban core, especially with them working with Midway already at Buffalo Heights, I don't think it's really any surprise that an HEB would go here.

• Like 5

Looking at this and then the conceptual plan for all phases makes you better realize just how ginormous this entire project is. Wow.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Phase I is underway, here's our first look:

Loopnet Listing
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/4100-Clinton-Dr-Houston-TX/15034936/

https://web.archive.org/web/20190306102524/https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/4100-Clinton-Dr-Houston-TX/15034936/ (archive link)

Rising along Buffalo Bayou, Houston’s East River channels the city’s energy and spirit into a dynamic 150 acre mixed-use development just minutes from downtown. East River complements its unique setting amid historic neighborhoods and walk-able districts, where it connects communities to parks, green-spaces and over 6,000 feet of waterfront. The urban core’s largest redevelopment site, East River carefully mixes residential, restaurant, office, retail, entertainment and recreational development, all working in harmony to celebrate local cultures, cuisines, arts and history.

l0skGOk.jpg

image.jpg

More renderings can be found in the brochure below:

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/2hO8ds_6cesMWwAvCHKLz8FODP1y6ddN4DLZMm4OgzQ/document.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20190306102343/https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/2hO8ds_6cesMWwAvCHKLz8FODP1y6ddN4DLZMm4OgzQ/document.pdf (archive link)

Renderings of Midway's East River (1400 Clinton Dr, Houston) from the brochure linked above:

pUsudtZ.jpg

East River’s entertainment district is anchored by a dine-in theater

xjI99l1.jpg

LYBz390.jpg

Central Plaza, looking east
j7rUF00.jpg

Bayou Pavilion, view from Buffalo BayouLTcKaYL.jpg

Anchor retail, view from main entrance
VuxRoti.jpg

Ground floor retail space under office building and garage

SPZKjRN.jpg

Central Plaza and retail pavilion

v5u5XJg.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Master plan for Midway's East River (1400 Clinton Dr, Houston) from the brochure linked below:

found in the brochure below:

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/2hO8ds_6cesMWwAvCHKLz8FODP1y6ddN4DLZMm4OgzQ/document.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20190306102343/https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/2hO8ds_6cesMWwAvCHKLz8FODP1y6ddN4DLZMm4OgzQ/document.pdf (archive link)

wh4fDk9.jpg

Site plan for Midway's East River (1400 Clinton Dr, Houston) from the brochure linked above:

mK9zgU1.jpg

Proposed Phase 1 Site Plan

QKRjpKu.jpg

Phase 1, Building A
pBaPYFL.jpg

Phase 1, Building B (Retail Pavilion, Plaza)

HeluR2K.png

Phase 1, Building C

0KCjxen.png

Phase 1, Building D

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 1/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

On 1/30/2019 at 9:02 AM, Luminare said:

Not out of the realm of possibility. The Museum District has been wanting to establish an "East Campus" for awhile I think. Do we have a museum dedicated to industry or energy? I think with this being at the door step of the ship channel and the entire industrial/ energy sector it would be a great way to showcase that aspect of the city.

....really want to see renders of this master plan.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, I'm Not a Robot said:

I think it will be the Maritime Museum. They just opened a temporary location on Canal. The director's message alludes to this as well. 

https://houstonmaritime.org/about/director-s-message

On 1/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, Naviguessor said:

Y'all are right! A museum is on deck for East River, Midway's development in Houston, 1400 Clinton Dr.

QKRjpKu.jpg

pUsudtZ.jpg

Zoomed in of proposed museum and proposed design from the back of the building
QPTjSzy.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 11:15 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I think Bayou Street will be part of East River's entertainment district. There are domains linked to Midway for Bayou Street Bars:

http://bayoustreetbars.com
http://bayoustreethouston.com

From the new renderings, we may have been right about there being an entertainment district at East River and may be on Bayou Street .

The renderings above of East River's proposed entertainment district. It's a partial look of what Midway is planning for the development at 1400 Clinton, Houston.

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

East River’s entertainment district is anchored by a dine-in theater

xjI99l1.jpg

LYBz390.jpg

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

• Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

• Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

• Like 1

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

• Like 1

I like the idea of a bridge here to the public park Silos across the water. It would connect some of the Ninfas traffic and expensive townhomes across the water to this location. 

5 minutes ago, Triton said:

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

This was partly going to be my criticism for that presentation about the highway project. That project doesn't exist in a vacuum. Just because they have to move doesn't mean they will just poof disappear. There are many many projects happening in this city. They will be able to move where ever they want too and do different things. Same with the people that have to move.

Meadow street could extend across to Nagle street, or you could have a bridge from the silos park to in front of retail pavilion E

My guess is that they are waiting for East End Management District to pay for some things.... I somehow doubt that 5th Ward CRC or TIRZ 18 is going to take the money from this property and re-invest it in this area. Look for that money to be invested in the north side of 5th ward. 

5 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

I think you exaggerating quite a bit. To the theater, I see a one block set back from the Jensen metro stops as well as a half a block distance from Clinton metro stops.  If the East End has its way, then there would be a street car to n Jensen and Clinton. But...I’ll believe that when I see it. 

the new potato will be LONG gone by the time Phase 2 rolls out. The owner is a moron who complains about everything having to do with East River.
This is unfortunate because I also preferred it to Little Woodrows- there are less sports douchebags hanging out at TNP.

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

The parcels fronting the road appear to be slated for future multi-family, judging by the renderings. This would probably encourage transit use more than having the retail on the road.

Doubt that...On many levels. I know the owner pretty well, and he has got no problem with East River. In fact he is pretty good friends with people of Midway, who are anoung his customers. TNP has big plans for the future. 

I think I may know who you are referring to. But, I assure you that they are not the one who is running the place. 

• Like 1

What type of theatre are we talking about here?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Triton said:

Undoubtedly a movie theater. Hopefully we finally get our first in the loop Alamo Draft House. 

Hopefully, in addition to a theater, the first phase includes a Grocery Store and a Gym of some sort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Triton said:

From the renders/ floor plans it looks like a movie theater. Could be an Alamo Drafthouse, but judging from the aesthetic they are trying to go for it looks like it will be some kind of specialty/boutique kind of theater which could be interesting. Whats really cool is that its not just the theater, but it will have a full floor of ground floor retail at the bottom. That would be unique if that bottom part could be a grocer with a movie theater on top. I don't know any examples of that kind of combination. Thats speculation, but look at the vastness of the open plan for the ground floor retail it looks like a pitch to large format retail anchor tenant. The higher ceiling on that first floor could be plenty of space for a grocer. Logistics to make something like that work would be fun to work out.

I dont think you could do a full grocery store below this... Maybe something like a phonecia? They seem to have a space marked for a brewery here. Would be nice to have a winery in there too. More entertainment focused. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I dont think you could do a full grocery store below this... Maybe something like a phonecia? They seem to have a space marked for a brewery here. Would be nice to have a winery in there too. More entertainment focused. 

You're totally right, I didn't even notice the largest building that isn't the proposed theater or the museum is just over 11,000 SQ Ft.  Maybe we will see that they are going to use the land at Canal/Navigation/Runnels for a more centralized store, closer to Downtown and East Downtown.

If not Alamo Draft House, a boutique type cinema would be nice too. We have a Violet Crown here in Santa Fe, NM and it’s really nice. I feel since AMC bought out Sundance downtown there has a been a real void of this type cinema on this side of town. 

Is the “anchor tenant” below the cinema where the grocery store is to go? It is the largest retail space at 27k sq. ft. Unless by grocery store, you mean Sprouts or Trader Joe’s which utilize smaller footprints?

• Like 3

Unfortunately, I don’t see any explicit mention of a possible space for a grocery store. Maybe one of those retail buildings would be large enough to accommodate something like a medium-sized HEB?

• Like 1

Just now, intencity77 said:

If not Alamo Draft House, a boutique type cinema would be nice too. We have a Violet Crown here in Santa Fe, NM and it’s really nice. I feel since AMC bought out Sundance downtown there has a been a real void of this type cinema in town. 

Is the “anchor tenant” below the cinema where the grocery store is to go? It is the largest retail space at 27k sq. ft. Unless by grocery store, you mean Sprouts or Trader Joe’s which utilize smaller footprints?

Thats a great example. I lean more to a boutique based on the layout itself. They are smaller more intimate theater settings which is the upcoming trend for theaters. Thats how they are going to survive and thrive is if they switch from a generic suburban model to a model that is reminiscent of the grand theaters that once existed. Just the look of the building itself says: I'm unique and interesting.

27k is a very large space and could be plenty of room for a grocer of whatever kind. It would be a great idea to keep that place active at all hours with a greater variety of people than just ones seeking entertainment. I could image it being an interesting setting where one goes to see a matinee and then goes to the grocer before going home. Lots of possibilities. We have to get our minds out of the idea of a big box store and bring in the idea of urban setting. Urban settings that I've been to have this kind of flexibility and wide range of uses.

12 minutes ago, Luminare said:

They could also do it to where its one story above and one story below ground.

I think this is on the high side of the bayou, but I’d be leery about below-grade retail as a grocer given that most outlets for refrigeration and point of sale equipment are in the floor.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Luminare said:

They could also do it to where its one story above and one story below ground.

Edit: Double Post. 

Edited by houstontexasjack