Jump to content
citykid09

East River - KBR Site Puchased by Midway

Recommended Posts

http://swamplot.com/last-kbr-warehouses-getting-out-of-east-rivers-way-with-the-help-of-teardown-crews/2018-10-17/

 

Quote

A COUPLE OF drive-by shots from Clinton Dr. show the state of demolition at the former Kellogg, Brown and Root campus, part of the effort to transform it into the new shopping, eating, working, and living complex that developer Midway has dubbed East River. Since beginning Friday, the teardown work has targeted the pair of warehouse buildings at the west end of the site, where their truck-docking holes front Jensen Dr. The 2 structures are the sole remnants of a much larger warehouse complex that once sat within the bounds of the 136-acre bayou-side site. Most of those industrial buildings were demolished between 2011 and 2012, leaving a swath of open space in the middle of the property — between the complex of office buildings that borders Hirsch Rd. to the east and the warehouses that now look to be goners.

In between those 2 bookends, a new black tarp has been added to portions of the construction fence along Clinton Dr., reports a reader. That’s where a multi-block colony of townhomes is planned; they’re shown in yellow on the map Midway put out over the summer:

 

More in link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drive by it most days. The area they are demo'ing is the first area to get built out I believe. At least there was online plans submitted for approval for this section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happened by today and saw the clearing of the western portion by Cherry Demolition, this has to be a promising sign.

Np2cZv7.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some activity observed on the west end of the site this week. Lots of stakes with colored flags placed, well east of the demo’d warehouse. And, today, and excavator and dozer were working where the warehouse was. It’s the first heavy equipment on the site since demolition. 

 

Waiting for Midway’s annual report to come out. Maybe there be some more info in that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that. I believe the red flags are survey flags where the electricity will go. I believe the flags are where townhomes will go. I actually have land in the area. Ive heen waiting to see more activity in the area, and then i will build my properties there. 

I noticed this also. Im jot sure what it means.

20190104_095741.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 9:55 PM, Eric.kelly said:

I saw that. I believe the red flags are survey flags where the electricity will go. I believe the flags are where townhomes will go. I actually have land in the area. Ive heen waiting to see more activity in the area, and then i will build my properties there. 

I noticed this also. Im jot sure what it means.

20190104_095741.jpg

 

That is just a construction stormwater permit. Means they have authorization to start disturbing soils and they have a plan in place to prevent sediment or contamination from discharging offsite during construction. The permit has to be in place from the initial point of land disturbance and ends when the have stabilized the area using grass or concrete etc. If you could see the reference SWPPP you would be able to see their construction timeline and what is included in this portion of the construction. Of course they could have a poorly written SWPPP that provides no details. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Eric.kelly said:

It looks like february 28  2019

Screenshot_20190129-184255_Gallery.jpg

Hell yeah here we go guys! With this along with Hanover in Montrose, Lower Heights District and Buffalo Heights, this is going to be a GREAT year for development in this city! Midtown is going to change drastically along with the Heights and TMC. This is amazing!

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been watching this area like a hawk. I check several times a week for you alls update. I really appreciate you guys input. I just though i i would add to the conversation. Alot of my information, i was assuming you guys already knew. Im just a rookie. Thanks for your input.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the rumor mill, Midway mentioned that one of the first things that they will build will be the proposed on-site museum.... Dont know what the museum will be about.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

In the rumor mill, Midway mentioned that one of the first things that they will build will be the proposed on-site museum.... Dont know what the museum will be about.

 

Not out of the realm of possibility. The Museum District has been wanting to establish an "East Campus" for awhile I think. Do we have a museum dedicated to industry or energy? I think with this being at the door step of the ship channel and the entire industrial/ energy sector it would be a great way to showcase that aspect of the city.

 

....really want to see renders of this master plan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

In the rumor mill, Midway mentioned that one of the first things that they will build will be the proposed on-site museum.... Dont know what the museum will be about.

 

 

I think it will be the Maritime Museum. They just opened a temporary location on Canal. The director's message alludes to this as well. 

 

https://houstonmaritime.org/about/director-s-message

 

Quote

Based on the larger scope of the project and its importance to the city and beyond, we are pursuing a new and more central location just east of downtown Houston along the banks of Buffalo Bayou. The museum will be a part of a large mixed-use development and easily accessible from all directions.

 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does seem to describe an East River location a little better than the Turning Basin location.   Intriguing Find, Robot. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A $45 million Capital Campaign will kickoff this fall with our ground breaking planned for mid 2018 and completion scheduled for end of 2019. For updates on our exciting new voyage, please visit BuildHMM.com."

 

They may be running a bit behind schedule. 

On 6/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, lockmat said:

 

https://edrc.houstontx.gov/edrc/login.aspx

 

Click on Current Agenda

 

A-g2p9_izsiZcaLOToEkv99ZOxnJUyBM2fWtHI5_T_5hbfWeSZZJ9SLvVmO0_Qd7d1w1eVhZIlW3v3n8Mnogy4eMQTkGaRXspdrREPfO-fYN7WMYfmvGzc1MYfMMjlKjLCNnxaGmqfKZB-W_yVjCaEC-Da0Kbjc-TeyMMT5n1bYqhQfgbsfJJ9vEpvGAswmMwkO4Hz15hRn2q2zWTVw9wSnZa8WgllKCsmJ_s9a4x5SlvWGKRETsh_leR1oPHO31kSJYUzK3LiTtdC12kEVO5bNq0weQwbOqtUZREjhA2YuLWiwBVdug1kSnksPt9t4iIIGX2bwhsy0DymmkqobTFvkYnJ3IQjZbanB19Xy7hW7cRTwM3Ewh44VMXd_fQM2Wv1lbwrg-1xpoDvXUrTM6t7oa2I0QLNL-q3dzuo9i89ZEXQCCQ0-f6nEHquNq2j80koKnu3gKSZl7cmUIqclOMaItqv1VMQn8AN_ZhTjHltCd-AARpsfmtGZ6WGYlyLKd4VH5KYFlKs5xP7ynsMXO03QJmLnZP5jIChcVe5QhoAZ3FWPFy1K2D7ldBD1uzU9mPBIlvJZAQxDEAvdJHwNkPMjUCdnpjl7v82sHVrX6=w960-h600-no

 

Street names:

Zydeco Drive

Port View Ave

George Brown St.

Herman Brown St.

Third Coast Ave.

S. Battery St.

N. Battery St.

Dan Root Blvd

Barbara Jordan Ave

Bringhurst St.

Kermac Blvd.

Bayou City Dr.

 

Hike and Bike trail runs along Hirsch

 

If section labels are an indication of phases, they run from west to east.

 

Under the current Chapter 42 standards, we could hypothetically provide only one north/south public street throughout the entire development and no east/west streets (what?! Ridonculous!). Alternatively, we have decided to incorporate several public streets, many aligning with connections to the north of the site, to create smaller and more walkable blocks.

This site will be able to be accessed easily both by future residents of the development and surrounding neighborhoods. It will also activate the bayou frontage. There will be several connections to the bayou waterfront for pedestrians and the developer is granting an easement to the Buffalo Bayou Partnership to continue the trail system everyone is so fond of on the west side of downtown.

Pedestrian bridges are being discussed with Buffalo Bayou Partnership to connect the two sides of the bayou.

The site layout for this development was designed with complete streets in mind. Pedestrians and bikes have received just as much attention as automobiles. There will be dedicated on-street bike lanes along Bayou City Drive, Gregg Street (in accordance with Houston Bike Plan), and Barbara Jordan Avenue. The rest of the development will have shared bike lanes, but the low speeds and traffic calming design measures undertaken will make it a safe development for all modes of transportation. The developer is committed to promoting a live/work lifestyle with East River.

There will be several parks throughout the development totaling approximately 19 acres. Some will be located adjacent to the trail being dedicated to the Buffalo Bayou Partnership and the rest will be mixed in with the myriad land-uses.

Did anyone save the layout from the above post. Also for the museum

 

"A $45 million Capital Campaign will kickoff this fall with our ground breaking planned for mid 2018 and completion scheduled for end of 2019. For updates on our exciting new voyage, please visit BuildHMM.com."

 

They may be running a bit behind schedule. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 6:49 PM, Naviguessor said:

Some activity observed on the west end of the site this week. Lots of stakes with colored flags placed, well east of the demo’d warehouse. And, today, and excavator and dozer were working where the warehouse was. It’s the first heavy equipment on the site since demolition. 

 

Waiting for Midway’s annual report to come out. Maybe there be some more info in that. 

 

Yeah, today I noticed a lot of dirt being moved around in that area.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Sucks when you take pictures but the site limits your size to 0.4MB

 

Yeah - you run out of space on here pretty quickly - try a site like Flickr....you can link photos from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, Naviguessor said:

That does seem to describe an East River location a little better than the Turning Basin location.   Intriguing Find, Robot. 


Smart move. They should have a much easier time getting visitors to come to their museum at Midways East River development, vs out at the ship channel turning basin.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:38 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

 

Yeah - you run out of space on here pretty quickly - try a site like Flickr....you can link photos from there

 

imgur is my go-to

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, samagon said:

 

 

imgur is my go-to

Mine too, but don't try their apps for iPads or iPhones because they don't have a way to link to sites like this in them, as I found out when I was without a desktop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-chicago-builders-mixed-use-eado-project-delayed-next-door-maritime-museum-reopens-in-temporary-home/

 



The museum reopened Jan. 22 in the former HISD school building. It was originally in a retrofitted residential home, but had been on hiatus for six months while staff and volunteers prepared for the move.

 

In March 2016, the museum directors announced plans to relocation to the Port of Houston. Construction was to have begun mid-2018 on a stunning, 38,00-square-foot, multi-story structure that included a full-size ship exhibit docked on the port side of a campus that was to be leased from the port authority.

 

The project has been supported by Frost Bank. As described in this Vimeo video, Gensler has been designing the plans at discount rates and Tellepsen was identified as the contractor. However, the project came with a steep price tag of $45 million to $50 million.

 

When the project was announced, the intention was to have the permanent facility open by the end of 2019. That timeline was dependent on the success of the capital campaign, which, among other factors has been affected by Hurricane Harvey. It’s unclear when construction will begin, but the museum board of directors still have ambitions of opening the new facility on the banks of Buffalo Bayou in a few years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has to be in reference to the East River site:

 

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc/news/opportunity-zones/with-help-of-opportunity-zone-incubator-fund-targets-development-around-hbcus-97695?rt=67397

 

Five opportunity funds have been involved with the incubator thus far. In addition to the HBCU fund, the incubator is helping launch funds targeting startup companies in New Orleans, businesses in the Pacific Northwest, economic development in the Gulf Coast and commercial development in Houston's Fifth Ward. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/midway-is-in-early-stages-of-transforming-the-old-kbr-complex-east-of-downtown-11238927

 

No new information, but it does link to an article where, in the comments, a user states he was told a grocery store would be the first project. Whoever puts the first store here is going to quickly realize that multiple surrounding neighborhoods, Including Downtown, are starved for a closer store. 

 

 When I drove by this morning, It seemed like there were more people working on site  than normal. I'm excited to see a timeline and I'm wondering how long Midway will hold off on sharing more information for such plans and any estimates on phase I construction. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/midway-is-in-early-stages-of-transforming-the-old-kbr-complex-east-of-downtown-11238927

 

No new information, but it does link to an article where, in the comments, a user states he was told a grocery store would be the first project. Whoever puts the first store here is going to quickly realize that multiple surrounding neighborhoods, Including Downtown, are starved for a closer store. 

 

 When I drove by this morning, It seemed like there were more people working on site  than normal. I'm excited to see a timeline and I'm wondering how long Midway will hold off on sharing more information for such plans and any estimates on phase I construction. 

With HEB's rapid growth in the urban core, especially with them working with Midway already at Buffalo Heights, I don't think it's really any surprise that an HEB would go here.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back at the Candyland Map and the amount of land that has been cleared (To the first Blue Street), we are looking at the below development in the 1st phase:

 

  • Multi-family
  • Retail (Maybe Grocery)
  • Townhomes
  • Park
  • Offices
  • Museum
  • Theater / Garage

 

https://www.virtualbx.com/feature-story/houston-east-river-traffic-plan-goes-to-planning-commission/

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at this and then the conceptual plan for all phases makes you better realize just how ginormous this entire project is. Wow.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

 

  • Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

The strange thing is, all this development right now seems to be before they dip their toes into the opportunity zone. Once that starts and this builds out ~50%, I could see this starting to change rapidly. They were not kidding when Midway said this land could fit 4 city centers. This area could be a savior for a lot of the businesses that are run down by the 45 expansion:"

 

  • Tout Suite
  • Huynh
  • Neil's Bahr
  • Kim Son
  • Little Woodrows (Although we prefer The New Potato)
  • Noname Fit Studios
  • True Anomaly Brewery (With Robo Journalism)

There could be some immediate East End tenants rather than name brand filler. 

 

 

 

 

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

 

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of a bridge here to the public park Silos across the water. It would connect some of the Ninfas traffic and expensive townhomes across the water to this location. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Triton said:

 

Completely agree. With construction on the highway expansion slated to start next year, thus land acquisition also going forward, this might all be the perfect timing. I can really visualize Tout Suite being at the Truss Town Coffee location in the renderings. 

 

This was partly going to be my criticism for that presentation about the highway project. That project doesn't exist in a vacuum. Just because they have to move doesn't mean they will just poof disappear. There are many many projects happening in this city. They will be able to move where ever they want too and do different things. Same with the people that have to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meadow street could extend across to Nagle street, or you could have a bridge from the silos park to in front of retail pavilion E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that they are waiting for East End Management District to pay for some things.... I somehow doubt that 5th Ward CRC or TIRZ 18 is going to take the money from this property and re-invest it in this area. Look for that money to be invested in the north side of 5th ward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cspwal said:

QKRjpKu.jpg&key=48f304b915b13fe676b08e21

 

Looking at this image, it doesn't look like they are expecting any transit at all - anyone not already at this site will arrive by car.  It's set back from the main road by probably 1/4 mile, so everywhere well inside it will be 1/2 mi from a bus stop at Jensen and the entrance road.  I doubt they will have buses inside it, and of course this is on the other side of the bayou from the Green line, so light rail is out of the question. 

 

Having at least a pedestrian bridge cross the bayou might help the idea that you can walk to this place

I think you exaggerating quite a bit. To the theater, I see a one block set back from the Jensen metro stops as well as a half a block distance from Clinton metro stops.  If the East End has its way, then there would be a street car to n Jensen and Clinton. But...I’ll believe that when I see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...