On 10/4/2016 at 2:17 PM, H-Town Man said:

Keep it simple. Park along the river. Uniform grid, no pointless curves or dead ends. All the best places are laid out simple. Simple gets better with age.

I disagree,  but unfortunately simple is most probably what we are going to get. 

I think it is a waste of frontage to have parking facing the bayou.

But I bet we are going to get a development like the post office site with a few buildings in the center of the property surrounded by a sea of surface parking

1 hour ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I disagree,  but unfortunately simple is most probably what we are going to get. 

But I bet we are going to get a development like the post office site with a few buildings in the center of the property surrounded by a sea of surface parking

I don't usually have a lot of faith in developers, but if it's anything like the current post office site I would be shocked.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Maybe in the first phases. Eventually not.

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Hmmm... sounds like we could have a lot of boat docks being built here too. Perhaps they could have a Houston Ship Channel tour boat launch from here as well.

That would be a neat little item to have.  I love taking duck tours in other towns when I visit.  I never thought about it working here, but the ship channel plus portions of Galveston Bay might work if a company wanted launch some sort of half day cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cspwal said:

I wonder if there could be water taxis between here and downtown

Bingo. The downtown dock would naturally be Allens Landing. Have a dock (or two, this site is pretty long) here for the new development, and another at the turning basin where the Maritime Museum is supposed to go (the plan is for the museum to be the launching point of the ship channel boat tour, so a water taxi connection would help link more people to the museum/tour).

• Like 4

On October 7, 2016 at 6:53 AM, HoustonIsHome said:

As another commenter pointed out, I meant park as in green space along the bayou, not auto parking along the bayou. The analogy to Back Bay should make it clearer. I don't think Midway is in the business of seas of parking; they've never done this in any project I know of.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a snippet of some footage I took with my drone while looking at the area around the KBR site.  The area looks more than ready for development.  I can't wait to see the transformation.  Also note the spectator that showed up.  He probably thought I was doing some illegal dumping.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 8:33 PM, AnTonY said:

I'm not sure why people have a problem with palm trees being planted. While SE/coastal areas of the metro feature the most optimal growing climate (and with the largest varieties of species), everywhere in the Houston has a climate warm enough to support the planting of many types of palms.

There are two native palm varieties specifically to the Houston area (sabal minor and sabal brazoria), but even if there weren't, it doesn't matter, since many palms have been shown to do well in Houston's climate, from dates to washingtonias to sabals. No palm is native to coastal California, doesn't stop places like LA from planting loads of them.

It really doesn't matter if a plant is native or not; if it can grow well, then there is no problem using it. Crape myrtles aren't native to the US, yet they grow just fine in Houston, and no one throws a fit at their presence.

They just don't provide much shade in a city that needs shade along sidewalks. 

• Like 4