citykid09

East River - KBR Site Puchased by Midway

4 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Looking at the renderings for this project, I wonder how they can, with a clean conscience, build so close to the Bayou.  Less than a year after Harvey, I would suppose developers would design generous buffer zones between the water and their buildings.  Maybe I’m missing something.  Can anyone help me understand this?

One of the really cool features of this site is that they can build close to the Bayou and engage it. The development will be all about its integration with the Bayou. There aren't any other commercial projects that do west of downtown that I can think of.  And, again, this stretch of the Bayou has the capacity and rate of flow to handle major rain events. The banks are very deep and the elevation of the property is high enough that there was no flooding during Harvey, or any other time, that I am aware of. 

8 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

One of the really cool features of this site is that they can build close to the Bayou and engage it. The development will be all about its integration with the Bayou. There aren't any other commercial projects that do west of downtown that I can think of.  And, again, this stretch of the Bayou has the capacity and rate of flow to handle major rain events. The banks are very deep and the elevation of the property is high enough that there was no flooding during Harvey, or any other time, that I am aware of. 

Still seems that maybe there should be some kind of levy or berm to help shield or divert water. I do agree with some others it is cutting it a bit close don't you imagine?

This is pretty high ground.  A levee or a berm really aren't necessary, and could have the effect of interfering with the interaction with the waterfront.

Edited by mollusk

13 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Looking at the renderings for this project, I wonder how they can, with a clean conscience, build so close to the Bayou.  Less than a year after Harvey, I would suppose developers would design generous buffer zones between the water and their buildings.  Maybe I’m missing something.  Can anyone help me understand this?

Remember. This whole property was already developed by KBR. It's not like this is new or reclaimed land. Flooding has never been an issue. With Harvey, the worst flood event we have ever seen, it still was not an issue. True for vertically all the East side.  That said...a storm surge, from precisely the worst hurricane scenario, could cause a backflow that could greatly impact the Eastern side of the city. 

20 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I like this project.  It will be great.

although I am repeatedly surprised that renders for this project (and other projects), in a town as diverse as Houston, continue to show (in this case) one women of color among all the dozens of “people” pictured.  Utterly tone deaf, in my opinion.

Harvard did this for their East End study. Be careful what you wish for. It was a very large lady yelling at her kids. Looked like something out of a ghetto walmart.

Sometimes a berm is close to a river bend. I don't know about here. But the "Crescent" in New Orleans, the part of the city they built on originally is on the bank of the Mississippi. 

The land next to White Oak on 19th wasn't flooding, but a block south it was, and at 11th it was in houses many blocks deep. So it's not so much about how close land is as how elevated land is. 

On 7/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, Urbannizer said:

Another subdivision plat filed. You'll have to run through the current agenda's spreadsheet to take a look.

https://edrc.houstontx.gov/edrc/login.aspx

I dont know if this will take you to the link directly but its is telling that they will be demoing the exsiting moving / storage company if they move from west to east. 

ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov/2018/Applications//2018-1450/SubdivisionPlatPDF_EastRiverSection1.pdf

On 7/14/2018 at 11:02 PM, Naviguessor said:

Remember. This whole property was already developed by KBR. It's not like this is new or reclaimed land. Flooding has never been an issue. With Harvey, the worst flood event we have ever seen, it still was not an issue. True for vertically all the East side.  That said...a storm surge, from precisely the worst hurricane scenario, could cause a backflow that could greatly impact the Eastern side of the city. 

this I think is key to understand. 

It's not a greenfield, they're not building on pristine land to take away area along the bayou that acts as a natural flood control.

It's brownfield, you go and look at the site, it's actually concrete fields with grass growing here and there. The site is very elevated compared to the flood plane.

Even though the site is right next to the bayou, it is probably one of the safer locations to be in a flood.

I noticed a couple commercial trucks were parked in the middle of the East River development yesterday.  In Section 1 where the warehouse is , workers were moving equipement around, possibly taking soil samples?

That this is going to get done before Regent Square, which is in a much more desirable part of town, will never not be amazing to me.

1 hour ago, Angostura said:

That this is going to get done before Regent Square, which is in a much more desirable part of town, will never not be amazing to me.

As someone who lives maybe a mile from the East River site and has been eagerly awaiting progress on this development, I take offense to your objectively-accurate statement regarding which would be the “more desirable” part of town. :P

On 9/28/2018 at 7:24 AM, Angostura said:

Both of these will develop in parallel. They are similar but have different pulls for campuses. Suburban vs Urban

Yes, Regent Square in the NE is for more of a Suburban environment. I know they want walkable and all of that but they will have plenty of parking and cater to a different group of people. East River will be a destination for people from downtown. It will be geared to a different audience. Thats why i believe that each site will develop differently and in parallel.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Yes, Regent Square in the NE is for more of a Suburban environment. I know they want walkable and all of that but they will have plenty of parking and cater to a different group of people. East River will be a destination for people from downtown. It will be geared to a different audience. Thats why i believe that each site will develop differently and in parallel.

They seem pretty similar to me and appear to cater to the same group of people. Just one company appears to be more ambitious than the other.

I agree that they’re similar. Both look quite urban, judging from renderings. There are highrises/midrises in both and both are pedestrian oriented w/office, retail and residential.  I love the unique opportunities and interactions that exist with the “East River” project literally hugging a long stretch of the bayou. I think this will be a major distinction between the two projects. But I guess final judgement can’t be made until both projects are somewhat built out. 

Much sheeshier demographic targeted at Regent Square, it's next to River Oaks for crying out loud. East River will be more Brooklyn vs. maybe Upper West Side at Regents. I don't expect high end shopping at East River.

6 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Much sheeshier demographic targeted at Regent Square, it's next to River Oaks for crying out loud. East River will be more Brooklyn vs. maybe Upper West Side at Regents. I don't expect high end shopping at East River.

Lol. Is the shopping on West Gray sheeshier? Give me a break. The Eastend is transforming like the Westend in the late  ‘90s. None of these projects will be the River Oaks Dstrict.

Just give us a reason to not pass Downtown to buy some quality work/casual/workout clothes, a solid HEB Market, add some more bars & more quality restaurants.

Oh, and a Total Wine. Shee shee!

12 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Lol. Is the shopping on West Gray sheeshier? Give me a break. The Eastend is transforming like the Westend in the late  ‘90s. None of these projects will be the River Oaks Dstrict.

Just give us a reason to not pass Downtown to buy some quality work/casual/workout clothes, a solid HEB Market, add some more bars & more quality restaurants.

Oh, and a Total Wine. Shee shee!

Why the animosity?

20 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

You don't expect it why? If you're basing it off of the local demographic then I'd say you're wrong.

We were comparing the look and feel of the two projects, not the demographics. But obviously both areas are very different at the moment. But I will say the demographics in EaDo/East End have steadily been evolving in the 9 years I’ve lived in the East End and it will only continue to evolve even more so in time. Many inner loopers who’ve been priced out of the westside and some who also initially made many of the now hip neighborhoods (Heights / Montrose) what they are today, have migrated to EaDo or the East End. This trend won’t stop anytime soon. Compared to the popular westside neighborhoods, the EaDo/East End areas are both affordable (for now) and still just as close to downtown, if not closer  in some instances. 

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You don't expect it why? If you're basing it off of the local demographic then I'd say you're wrong.

Developers as well as investors (buyers) and retailers (potential tenants) look at demographics at 1, 3, and 5 mile radii, sometimes 10 mile for a large project. You will have high income residents in this project and downtown of course, but across those radii there is no comparison with the Regents Square location. They also look at existing retail in the area for proven success. I think this will be a great project and I personally like it better than Regents but I do not expect the same kind of retail as at Regents.

4 hours ago, intencity77 said:

We were comparing the look and feel of the two projects, not the demographics. But obviously both areas are very different at the moment. But I will say the demographics in EaDo/East End have steadily been evolving in the 9 years I’ve lived in the East End and it will only continue to evolve even more so in time. Many inner loopers who’ve been priced out of the westside and some who also initially made many of the now hip neighborhoods (Heights / Montrose) what they are today, have migrated to EaDo or the East End. This trend won’t stop anytime soon. Compared to the popular westside neighborhoods, the EaDo/East End areas are both affordable (for now) and still just as close to downtown, if not closer  in some instances. 

Exactly! There have been a number of changes (all for the better) in the four years I’ve been in Second Ward. It’s exciting to think of what this area will look like in ten years. Projects like East River (although technically Fifth Ward) will go a long way to expediting the growth and development in this area.

11 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Why the animosity?

Just an exchange of opinions. Just think it’s silly to say a development with such shee shee rents for an Alamo draft house would dwarf in anything midway could do in a sea of +$300k townhomes. Except Midway doesn’t have any competition like RSquare does on West Gray. Which is nothing to scoff at either. Despite being at the front door of river oaks. 

http://swamplot.com/last-kbr-warehouses-getting-out-of-east-rivers-way-with-the-help-of-teardown-crews/2018-10-17/

A COUPLE OF drive-by shots from Clinton Dr. show the state of demolition at the former Kellogg, Brown and Root campus, part of the effort to transform it into the new shopping, eating, working, and living complex that developer Midway has dubbed East River. Since beginning Friday, the teardown work has targeted the pair of warehouse buildings at the west end of the site, where their truck-docking holes front Jensen Dr. The 2 structures are the sole remnants of a much larger warehouse complex that once sat within the bounds of the 136-acre bayou-side site. Most of those industrial buildings were demolished between 2011 and 2012, leaving a swath of open space in the middle of the property — between the complex of office buildings that borders Hirsch Rd. to the east and the warehouses that now look to be goners.

In between those 2 bookends, a new black tarp has been added to portions of the construction fence along Clinton Dr., reports a reader. That’s where a multi-block colony of townhomes is planned; they’re shown in yellow on the map Midway put out over the summer:

More in link

I drive by it most days. The area they are demo'ing is the first area to get built out I believe. At least there was online plans submitted for approval for this section.

Happened by today and saw the clearing of the western portion by Cherry Demolition, this has to be a promising sign.

Np2cZv7.jpg

• Like 7

Some activity observed on the west end of the site this week. Lots of stakes with colored flags placed, well east of the demo’d warehouse. And, today, and excavator and dozer were working where the warehouse was. It’s the first heavy equipment on the site since demolition. 

Waiting for Midway’s annual report to come out. Maybe there be some more info in that. 

• Like 2

I saw that. I believe the red flags are survey flags where the electricity will go. I believe the flags are where townhomes will go. I actually have land in the area. Ive heen waiting to see more activity in the area, and then i will build my properties there. 

I noticed this also. Im jot sure what it means.

20190104_095741.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/26/2019 at 9:55 PM, Eric.kelly said:

I saw that. I believe the red flags are survey flags where the electricity will go. I believe the flags are where townhomes will go. I actually have land in the area. Ive heen waiting to see more activity in the area, and then i will build my properties there. 

I noticed this also. Im jot sure what it means.

20190104_095741.jpg

That is just a construction stormwater permit. Means they have authorization to start disturbing soils and they have a plan in place to prevent sediment or contamination from discharging offsite during construction. The permit has to be in place from the initial point of land disturbance and ends when the have stabilized the area using grass or concrete etc. If you could see the reference SWPPP you would be able to see their construction timeline and what is included in this portion of the construction. Of course they could have a poorly written SWPPP that provides no details. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Two port-a-potties onsite, near Bayou Street, which is quite a ways East of the demolished Warehouse site. 

• Like 1

Two port-a-potties onsite, near Bayou Street, which is quite a ways East of the demolished Warehouse site. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric.kelly said:

It looks like february 28  2019

Screenshot_20190129-184255_Gallery.jpg

Hell yeah here we go guys! With this along with Hanover in Montrose, Lower Heights District and Buffalo Heights, this is going to be a GREAT year for development in this city! Midtown is going to change drastically along with the Heights and TMC. This is amazing!

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3