MorningStar At River Oaks: Senior Living At 2315 Richmond Ave.

It's not quite going up yet, but I'm confident it will be soon as there have been recent reports about their plans including this one from this past Friday. We can change the title once it is announced.

From the article:

Houston-based Hines, which recently broke ground on a luxury apartment complex near Williams Tower, is making plans for another project inside the Loop.

The site is near the Upper Kirby and River Oaks areas, but the company won't reveal the exact location until it closes on the property, said Kevin Batchelor, managing director and leader of the firm's southwest region multifamily operation.

The article also mentions that other potential locations are the Med Center, Energy Corridor, downtown and even suburban locations like The Woodlands and Sugar Land.

http://www.chron.com/business/sarnoff/article/Sarnoff-Ashby-high-rise-developers-request-first-3832588.php#photo-3396224

• Like 1

The article also mentions that other potential locations are the Med Center, Energy Corridor, downtown and even suburban locations like The Woodlands and Sugar Land.

After moving to the Braeswood area, I've noticed that there are a ton of properties along South Main (across from Reliant) that would be perfect for newer developments due to the proximity of the Medical Center. There are a lot of run-down apartments along there (and car washes), that would allow Med Center, Downtown, and Galleria workers a very fast commute (straight up Main). Plus, the parcels are huge.

• Like 1

any bets on the location?

I'm betting a penny on the block at West Main, Kirby, Colquit, and Lake Streets. There just aren't that many sizable pieces of land that people would be willing to part with.

I wouldn't doubt if the current location of "Roak" might be swallowed up.

The club has been open for a bit over a year and probably has made its money by now and is probably starting to wane.

• Like 1

Near R.O. and Upper Kirby seems to be developer speak for parts east, i.e. Montrose. What about the parcel on Westheimer and Hazard across from Firkin and Phoenix and Lanier ? I don't think its much smaller than the parcel the Belle Meade was built on.

Also -- the strip center on Alabama across from the theater that has Ruchi's and Roeders. I believe a number of those lots have been purchased to be packaged for sale as a large parcel -- could be a possiblity.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle
  • Like 1

My bet is it's the site of the older Avalon apartments on Westheimer between Shepard and Kirby. I love all the new redevelopment inside the loop however I just wish developers would target more run down strip centers and empty lots. If the goal is to get more residents living inside the loop, then tearing down older complexes and replacing them with newer ones really mutes the population gains.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-hines-gets-planning-commission-approval-on-two-mid-rise-projects/

Hines obtained variances from the Houston Planning Commission on two mid-rise projects–a four-story multifamily north of Greater Heights, and a seven-story senior living tower in the Upper Kirby District.

The two projects came before the commission February 14, both with recommendations for approval from city staff.

The Upper Kirby Senior Living project is to be located on a lot at the southeast corner of Richmond Avenue and Revere Street.  The project site is currently the home of an auto dealership, Momentum Audi at 2315 Richmond Ave., and extensive demolition of existing structures will be required. There is also a Momentum Volkswagon of Upper Kirby dealership directly west of the project site in this mixed commercial neighborhood.

However, higher density residential has also been developing. Just to the north at 2300 Richmond Ave. is the five-story UK apartment complex.

Hines requested a reduction of the building line to 5 feet from the standard 10 feet for this neighborhood.

“Because of the unusual physical characteristics affecting this site, particularly the unusually large amount of public right-of-way that has been previously dedicated, the applicant is unable to make reasonable use of their land without requesting a variance along the southern property line to allow for a five-foot setback.

“Since the original rights-of-way were dedicated, the subject tract has lost over 18-percent of its total volume due to public right-of-way dedication along Richmond, Revere and Portsmouth.”

The architect, Munoz Albin, drew up an odd-shaped ground floor plan that looks like a backward “J” with serif. Although the upper floors would be at 5 feet from the sidewalk along Richmond Avenue and Portsmouth Street, there would be an open-air plaza off the southwest corner of Revere and Portsmouth. The parking structure is within the south side of the building, with an entrance ramp on Portsmouth.

HPCFeb14-UpperKirby-Sr-Living-siteplan.p

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...