Shell Woodcreek Campus Phase III At 150 N. Dairy Ashford Rd.

Pleak

Other than what we read previously, I wonder if they have other future plans for this location. Maybe the awkward placement of the eyesore parking garage will some how make sense once the entire "campus" is realized? I am reaching I know. Just trying to understand the decision to put the pg within the line of sight of hundreds of thousands of travelers daily. I would think to create a positive image toward Shell, a more asthetically (sp?) pleasing layout would be in order.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think putting the garage on the noisiest part of the site, and with the best vehicular access makes complete sense. Putting a garage "in between the buildings" as suggested makes no sense, it kills the whole idea of a campus. Shell should be aiming to create an inviting campus in order to attract top talent, not in providing a nice view to the people on the freeway. If they were concerned about that, they could build a nice facade on the feeway-facing side of the garage - there are plenty examples of really nice garages in urban settings. I wouldn't be surprised if that was suggested by the architects but the idea was dropped in favor of using most of the budget on amenities for the employees.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all. Thanks for backing me up. I don't always know the names of the properties nor the businesses inhabiting them, BUT I do have, IMO, one of the coolest commutes (if one has to commute over 30 min one way, LoL) and just report what I see daily. I am very glad we have this sort of forum, which, thanks to many of you, helps me link the names with the places. Again, thanks.

ugh. thats 1.4 million square feet, not counting however much sq ft are in Buildings 1 & 2.. with all the sqare footage they have/are building, they could of built a huge skyscraper somewhere.. hell, it could be in Memorial City for all i care, to "be closer to the amenities" or w/e reasoning people are using for having large employment centers out in the burbs. i just dont understand the point for having 6 boxes spread out across a campus when they could go vertical and have everyone under one roof.

will the design of 5 and 6 be the same as 3 and 4? theyre pretty boring..

While I understand that most of us would like to see companies like Shell expand closer to the cities core, I don't understand why some here have such an issue with market demands, and the obvious fact that these companies know what they're doing. It's been explained on this forum many times by those that understand the business.

I also don't understand why some here don't realize the makeup and layout of the city of Houston. This is not Chicago or New York. Houston will never be like those cities and is not designed as such.

i understand, and i should of reworded my post, because frankly i wouldnt care if they built a tower on this plot in the energy corridor, it would just be more visually striking to see a skyscraper out there than a cluster of 12 story boxes that blend in with everything else.. even a couple neat 20 something story buildings with a few skybridges, but i guess they didnt want to make a statement. ah well, the walk across campus is better for the employees rather than taking an elevator in a tower.
sorry, i let my skyscraper aficionado mentality take over in my posts sometimes.. i realize we cant have skyscrapers everywhere.

i understand, and i should of reworded my post, because frankly i wouldnt care if they built a tower on this plot in the energy corridor, it would just be more visually striking to see a skyscraper out there than a cluster of 12 story boxes that blend in with everything else.. even a couple neat 20 something story buildings with a few skybridges, but i guess they didnt want to make a statement. ah well, the walk across campus is better for the employees rather than taking an elevator in a tower.

sorry, i let my skyscraper aficionado mentality take over in my posts sometimes.. i realize we cant have skyscrapers everywhere.

A group of small towers costs less than the same amount of square footage in a tall one.

ugh. thats 1.4 million square feet, not counting however much sq ft are in Buildings 1 & 2.. with all the sqare footage they have/are building, they could of built a huge skyscraper somewhere.. hell, it could be in Memorial City for all i care, to "be closer to the amenities" or w/e reasoning people are using for having large employment centers out in the burbs. i just dont understand the point for having 6 boxes spread out across a campus when they could go vertical and have everyone under one roof.

will the design of 5 and 6 be the same as 3 and 4? theyre pretty boring..

I think that the value of having everyone under one roof is greatly overstated anyway, especially when talked about in comparison to a campus setting.  There are certain departments in any company that talk to each other on a daily basis, but there are also plenty of departments that only see each other weekly, monthly, or frankly, never interact at all.  As long as you can have the people that interact frequently with each other under the same roof, there's really no disadvantage to having others 100 yards away.

Besides, in most skyscrapers, the buildings are already partitioned by the elevator system anyway.  You can't go from the 60th floor to the 20th floor.  You have to take the elevator to the lobby, switch elevators and then take another one back up to 20.  Is that really that much better than walking to the building next door?

• 2 weeks later...

Your looking at the wrong location. The daycare, while Shell's, is in front of Conoco Phillips West of Dairy Ashford. The crane is on the Shell campus which borders Dairy Ashford and runs east.

Sorry about the mix up! So many cranes in the EC it'll make your head spin.

I think that the value of having everyone under one roof is greatly overstated anyway, especially when talked about in comparison to a campus setting.  There are certain departments in any company that talk to each other on a daily basis, but there are also plenty of departments that only see each other weekly, monthly, or frankly, never interact at all.  As long as you can have the people that interact frequently with each other under the same roof, there's really no disadvantage to having others 100 yards away.

Besides, in most skyscrapers, the buildings are already partitioned by the elevator system anyway.  You can't go from the 60th floor to the 20th floor.  You have to take the elevator to the lobby, switch elevators and then take another one back up to 20.  Is that really that much better than walking to the building next door?

When I worked at Conoco over on Dairy Ashford, it was always a pain walking 1/4 mile to get to someone's office. Especially when it was raining, cold, or just hot as hell, since the walkway was exposed and uncovered.

Same thing when I was at HP on 249. At least there, the skywalk was enclosed.

Where I am now the shortest distance between all 7 buildings is 270 feet - unconnected. So one has to walk (or run) in the rain, cold, or the crushing humidity to get to any one of the other buildings. By the time one gets to the lobby of their destination building they look like the cat dragged them in.

So, yeah. It's not always a good thing to have everyone in these boring buildings on a campus. I'm not sure that "Why, you could just walk to the building next door!" is as simple, easy, or should be as big a pro as one might think.

When I worked at Conoco over on Dairy Ashford, it was always a pain walking 1/4 mile to get to someone's office. Especially when it was raining, cold, or just hot as hell, since the walkway was exposed and uncovered.

Same thing when I was at HP on 249. At least there, the skywalk was enclosed.

Where I am now the shortest distance between all 7 buildings is 270 feet - unconnected. So one has to walk (or run) in the rain, cold, or the crushing humidity to get to any one of the other buildings. By the time one gets to the lobby of their destination building they look like the cat dragged them in.

So, yeah. It's not always a good thing to have everyone in these boring buildings on a campus. I'm not sure that "Why, you could just walk to the building next door!" is as simple, easy, or should be as big a pro as one might think.

Aren't you one of the biggest proponents for making Houston more walkable and urbanized?   And then you show up here complaining about having to walk 270 feet between buildings because it might be raining, cold, or humid??

Archived