Shell Woodcreek Campus Phase III At 150 N. Dairy Ashford Rd.

Pleak

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Drove by yesterday and there appears to be quite a bit of work going on at the site. I seem to recall someone saying that there were a couple of low rise office buildings slated for the location, though I cannot find the post, and cannot find the source (big fail all around today).

Does anyone happen to know what the plan is?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For a building that's already on it's 8th floor, there is surprisingly little info about this. Do we know how many floors/are there any renderings? I drive by it often and I was expecting it to be 5-6 stories like the buildings behind it but it keeps going up.

Drove by yesterday and there appears to be quite a bit of work going on at the site. I seem to recall someone saying that there were a couple of low rise office buildings slated for the location, though I cannot find the post, and cannot find the source (big fail all around today).

Does anyone happen to know what the plan is?

The original thread & full HBJ article here...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/26484-shell-close-to-construction-on-two-new-buildings/

Only rendering I've seen is here.

shell-article-lg.jpg

http://www.energycorridor.org/newsletter/article/shell-creates-world-class-facilities-with-new-woodcreek-campus/november-2012

• 2 months later...

It looks to me like they've started construction on the 2nd building, but I couldn't tell *for sure.*

Can anyone confirm?

Yup, the second one is going up, I think they're on the second floor currently. It looks like something is going in between them, not sure if they're going to be connected on the ground level or not.

Was just down the street from this at the Omni last week and was wondering if there are any new higher end hotels/convention centers planned for the Energy Corridor? The Omni is starting to get a little dated inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's another rendering, the architect is HOK

SWC_Final_Sixth-Floor-800.jpg

*Edit* I think this is part of the development as well.

We designed a high-performance computing center for a global energy client at their Houston headquarters. Most of the space is reserved for computers but this is also where incredibly bright geologists will use supercomputers to identify important energy explorations.

We began by defining the right balance and placement of silicone-based versus carbon-based life forms. In other words, where are the machines and where are the people? The team realized that this building could not simply be a hermetically sealed box because it needed to provide a home for the bright scientists and high-performance computing experts that our client employs. The project needed to focus on contemporary issues of workplace while highlighting the company’s innovative research. The result is a building that will ultimately serve as a front door to the campus, which is located on a prominent site in Houston’s Energy Corridor.

final-image2.jpg

http://www.hoklife.com/2013/07/09/qa-peter-ruggiero-design-director/

• 2 weeks later...

Same, it kind of makes you wonder who gives the final approval to decisions like this....Either way, it's a nice addition to the West Houston I-10 area.

Seriously? The site is bounded by a wooded reserve to the North, and a busy interstate highway to the South. Do you really think it made more sense to locate the office buildings on the highway side and keep the nice views for the parking garage?

Having lived in various cities myself.., I think Houston & Dallas are among the few that generally cater to the freeways with commercial buildings. Even some residential complexes are located on freeways in Texas.  I regret the day that my address is "11500 SW Freeway Apt. #101". 

Most cities completely turn their backs to the freeways. (No doubt, the lack of feeder roads in other states have something to do with it). Funny, when a developer here decides to shun the freeway (as with Shell's I-10 campus expansion or Skanksa's 3009 Post Oak) we think it's weird. http://www.3009postoak.com/photogallery.htm

I myself wondered why the parking garage, especially one of that size, was placed where it was, but I didn't even consider the views the tenants have to endure. I was just thinking of it in terms of MY view of the complex from the freeway which I pass every day. Thanks fernz. If I worked in one of those towers I would want the view of the reserve over the freeway any day.

The property is large enough to come up with ways not to have large garage blocking the building. The garage could possibly have been in Between the buildings and the views would have been both (nature to the north and urban to the south-east toward mo city/city centre).

The property is large enough to come up with ways not to have large garage blocking the building. The garage could possibly have been in Between the buildings and the views would have been both (nature to the north and urban to the south-east toward mo city/city centre).

Yep... Personally, I think this is really bad placement on this campus. Had a lot of potential.

Archived