All Interstates In Texas

Interstates in Texas

Interstate 35 :rolleyes:

This interstate is the main interstate of any throughout all in Texas.

It starts at Laredo, San Antonio, capital of Austin, Temple, Waco.

Then a split of I-35W of Fort Worth I-35E in Dallas, TX.

Then north to Denton then Oklahoma.

Interstate 27

This is the least traffic condition interstate in Texas.

Interstate 10 :D

is the longest 14:30 hour 880 mile interstate in Texas

Interstate 44 :angry:

shortest interstate in Texas 14 miles long

Interstate 40

This interstate is the non seen interstate by far in the north of Texas that reach one metro city in Amarillo.

Interstate 20

the only interstate that goes through 3 metro cities but neither in downtown business districts.

Interstate 30 is a take place in the DFW city limits that actually goes through downtown districts and Arlington of the DFW.

Interstate 37

Just seems to be a shortcut runway to the Gulf of Mexico from San Antonio.

APPROVED INTERSTATES

Interstate 69 B)

is the top approved interstate in Texas

take place of US 59. Yes or No!

Interstate 27 <_< Will it reach other borders and states.

Denver or Colorado Springs, Amarillo, Lubbock, I-10, Del Rio.

Interstate 14 Will US 290 become an interstate......

Junction, Austin, Houston, to Beaumont.

Interstate 44 :huh: It can be proposed two ways

1. Wichita Falls to I-20 in Abliene to Waco or Austin.

2. Wichita Falls to Lubbock to Las Cruces, NM

Will this interstate come futher in Texas to reach other cities.

Interstate 2 :blink: need a 1 digit number interstate of the tip of the US.

Laredo, Mc Allen, Brownsville.

Interstate 41 Will it happen

Waco, Bryan, Collage Station, SH 249 to Houston.

Interstate 32 Could be possible

Ft Worth, Wichitas Falls, Amarillo, I-45 Ennis Texas.

Interstate 33 not possible is it

Mc Allen, San Antonio, Abliene, Wichita Falls.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are these your proposals or the official Federal corridors?

New interstates are rare these days and they have to follow the Federal corridors. spurs and loops can take Interstate names from the approval of the federal body that does this.

If I-97 was possible, I guess I-2 is, too.

Also remember that the interstate numbering system has been violated a number of times in the past, so we're not stuck with the numbers you mention.

For example, I-99 runs through Pennsylvania (formerly US 220).

Interstates in Texas

Interstate 27

This is the least traffic condition interstate in Texas.

Interstate 27 <_<  Will it reach other borders and states.

Denver or Colorado Springs, Amarillo, Lubbock, I-10, Del Rio.

Interstate 14  Will US 290 become an interstate......

Junction, Austin, Houston, to Beaumont.

The current proposal is to combine the I-27 and I-14 proposals to become an interstate that would link the Rocky Mountain region and to the Gulf. The interstate would expand north to Denver, and south to Austin to become that city's first major east-west freeway, then down U.S 290 to Houston.

Also I've heard talk of I-669, an alternative route west around the city of Houston along the Grand Parkway as I-69 would run along US 59 through Houston. The addition of I-669 would reduce commercial thru-traffic by taking them around the city. It would NOT follow all of the GP around the city, just the northwest portions from 59 (69) in SW Houston through Katy and Spring to 59 (69) on the north side of town. This rout was originally planned for I-69. Can anyone confirm this?

I heard from somewhere that Texas is the only state that does not have an interstate connecting the capital with it's largest city.  Can't verify but sounds like it might be true.

Not true -- there's at least one other. Alaska has no interstates, and its capital is connected to other cities and towns only by boat or air. Juneau has no roads that connect it to other areas of the state.

Pierre, SD is also not on an interstate, although one is about 35 miles away. Sioiux Falls is that state's largest city, which is on an interstate (90).

The original list also left off 37, which connects San Antonio and Corpus Christi, and 30, which starts just west of Ft. Worth at 20 and runs east through the Metroplex across Northeast Texas to Texarkana, then up to Little Rock. Then there's also 40, which stretches east and west across the Panhandle and runs right through Amarillo.

Not true -- there's at least one other. Alaska has no interstates, and its capital is connected to other cities and towns only by boat or air. Juneau has no roads that connect it to other areas of the state.

While researching something else entirely, I discovered that Alaska DOES have interstates. A1, A2, A3, and A4. I guess these are the equivalent of the H1, H2, etc... freeways in Hawaii.

Here's a page about it with photos of the Alaska Interstates.

I've actually seen that page before, editor. And while the information on it may be technically correct, to call any of those highways "interstates" seems like a great overstatement. Only a few miles of highway through Fairbanks and Anchorage, and from Anchorage up to Wasilla, are built to freeway standards. I think I've also read somewhere else that the Alaska interstate designations were mainly a political ploy in Congress by that state's representation to secure additional highway funding through the interstate program.

Technicalities aside, even if you count these mostly rural two-lane state highways as "interstates", the fact remains that Anchorage, like Texas, is a state where the largest city and state capital aren't connected by an interstate.

THere was a proposal to extend 27 into San Angelo, but it was voted down. Also to Take 44 down to Abilene, also nixed.

THe best bet for Houston to Austin at the moment would be to make 71 a spur interstate, IH-110 or IH-310 depending on whether folks thought one was possible in El Paso or San Antonio (the numbers go West to East).

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, I post, You decide

Why does it have to be and Interstate. You can get federal funding either way whether it is called and Interstate or not.

Look at Mississippi, they are currently coverting several US and State highways to full blow freeway standards connecting all of there population centers. Arkansas is doing something similar, they were able to add interestate designations to theirs because Clinton was in office.

But my point is that it doesn't have to be designated as an interstate.

Why does it have to be and Interstate.  You can get federal funding either way whether it is called and Interstate or not.

Look at Mississippi, they are currently coverting several US and State highways to full blow freeway standards connecting all of there population centers.  Arkansas is doing something similar, they were able to add interestate designations to theirs because Clinton was in office.

But my point is that it doesn't have to be designated as an interstate.

That's a good point. West Virginia was doing the same thing when I lived there in the 90's. With the exception of an extension of I-66, there is no logical need for an interstate highway in West Virginia. But there is a great need for some large scale intrastate highways to connect its population centers, and WV is too poor to pay for them. Fortunately (for them, not the rest of the nation) they have senators Rockefeller and Byrd on their side -- two of the most powerful members of congress when it comes to dispensing money.

Byrd started the West Virginia corridor system -- the state's own network of superhighways. I lived near Corridor G, but traveled on several others. They were as wider and smoother and better maintained as any highway I've ever traveled in the world. Imagine something like the Hardy Toll Road, but wider, free, and with many gentile curves sweeping through rugged mountains. Of course, where the freeways end you're in the middle of dirt-poor Appalachia, where you can't get gas if you have the wrong license plate. (I had New York at the time, "You cain't have gas heuh. Thems Yankee taygs." I had to drive to Pikeville, KY to get gas).

I only remembered this because of your post. If West Virginia can start its own freeway system, why can't Texas? I guess the state is taking that initiative with the Trans Texas Corridor plan, but until I can drive on it, I won't believe it's happening.

Why does it have to be and Interstate.  You can get federal funding either way whether it is called and Interstate or not.

That's very true. I think there are some slightly different funding mechanisms though depending on whether a route is classified as an interstate or not. And what I said about the reason for the Alaska "interstates" was a rumor I had read online, and well, we all know you can't totally trust everything you read on the Internet...

Changing topics slightly. Anyone here know of the two 3-digit interstate spurs in Texas that are officially recognized by the government but not signed by TxDOT?

ssullivan,

would love to hear the answer to your question.

Louisiana had two for years in the New Orleans area number 910, and 510. I-510 was finally assigned. I-910 is still hanging out there.

ssullivan,

would love to hear the answer to your question.

Louisiana had two for years in the New Orleans area number 910, and 510.  I-510 was finally assigned.  I-910 is still hanging out there.

I'll give it a little time to see if anyone can guess the correct ones. No cheating!

Nobody had any ideas?

Anyway, they are I-110 in El Paso and I-345 in Dallas. Both of these were built and still exit. I-110 functions as somewhat of a long exit ramp, and only runs for about aa mile. It is not signed as I-110.

I-345 connects the official end of I-45, at the interchange with I-30 just south of downtown, and the official start of US 75, at the interchange with the Woodall Rogers Freeway on the north end of downtown. There are no I-345 signs on this freeway segment, and I've only once seen a map that identified it. As you drive north from I-30, there are signs indiciating the end of I-45, and start of US 75 to Sherman. driving south, a similar thing happens. Signs indicate the end of US 75 and that you are driving onto I-45 south toward Houston. Exit numbers along I-345 continue the exit numbers from I-45, and exit numbers don't start back over with Exit 1 until you reach the Woodall Rogers interchange. At this point the exit numbers for I-45 end and the numbers for US 75 start. Logically it would have made sense for I-345 to be officially identified as US 75, and for the southern terminus of US 75 to be at the I-45/I-30 exchange, not the Woodall Rogers exchange. However, that's not the case, and I-345 exists to connect the two routes.

I've seen the I-110 on many maps before, but haven't been there in person.

I understand the reason for not signing I-345 because of the confusion it would cause. It is also very technical. I-45 could pass I-30 and just end at another freeway. It technically needed a name. I guess they didn't also sign it because it is so short and really doesn't have any exits.

And, from a really technical standpoint, I-45 can't end at just another freeway. Interstates are supposed to end at another interstate on at least one of their ends. Since there's obviously no other interstate in Galveston at I-45's southern terminus, it needs to end at another interstate in Dallas, hence it ending at I-30.

As for I-345, I suppose in the mid-1980s when US 75 was decommissioned in Texas south of the Woodall Rogers interchange they could have decommission I-345, and set the southern terminus of US 75 at the I-30/I-45/I-345 interchange, but they didn't. However, this is essentially how TxDOT has signed the freeway.

I think I've seen I-110 in El Paso on a map before as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I think it's pretty asinine that we don't have an interstate highway from the largest city in the state to its capitol. We don’t even have a non-stop state highway!

Why doesn’t 290 go around Giddings?

Yes, I never thought of that before! IH-35 connects San Antonio/Dallas/Fort Worth with the capital Austin. But, like you said, the largest city Houston doesn't connect with the capital. That doesn't quite add up.

I think they should cancel this TTC thing because its pie in the sky and all we are doing is blowing money on the EIS's. We shoud use our money to improve the roads we have maybe turning 290 into a freeway. Then when thats done whatever's left can be used to study high speed rail. The Texas TGV is long dead but the planned routes made a lot of sense and using those would be a good idea.

There is a proposal to make U.S. 290 IH-10 North, and make the current IH-10, IH-10 South. Heard about it in SSP. It would have also been nice if 71 was a freeway.

That sounds logical. That would be similar to IH-35W and IH-35E up in Dallas/Fort Worth. What is SSP?

Archived