Sign in to follow this  
rci2145

Aperture Coffee (Coffee Groundz) Closed

I went to Aperture Coffee (formerly Coffee Groundz) yesterday and a note was on the door saying that they were locked out by their landlord for not paying the rent on their lease. It looks like yet another coffee shop in this location has bitten the dust.

There was a different coffee shop there before Coffee Groundz that failed. Also, the original owner of Coffee Groundz sold the business to an Asian family who eventually remodeled it into Aperture.

When JR Cohen managed it, it was great. It went downhill fast when he left. I think this must have been a failure of management, not anything to do with the location.

The best place in this location was back several years ago before Aperture, Coffee Groundz, and Pilgrim's Cleaners. It was called Midtown Bagel. They had excellent food (bagels, pizza, etc) and great coffee in a casual atmosphere. I loved hanging out there and walking over there from what was Jefferson Midtown (Amli, Metro) apartments way back.

Coffee Groundz was great when they first opened serving wine and Gelato. I sure hope someone comes in and drastically changes the place. I really want a great coffee house / bagel shop / wine bar within walking distance. They should model it after Brasil over at Westheimer @ Dunlavy.

The best place in this location was back several years ago before Aperture, Coffee Groundz, and Pilgrim's Cleaners. It was called Midtown Bagel. They had excellent food (bagels, pizza, etc) and great coffee in a casual atmosphere. I loved hanging out there and walking over there from what was Jefferson Midtown (Amli, Metro) apartments way back.

Loved that place! They had the best bagels in Houston.(at the time) I recall the owner stating that it took 2 years to break even and the final nail was a pizza place opening up right after they started serving pizza.

The other place I miss is Kolache Kafe. Best Kolaches ever. Still have not found a place that serves a better Kolache.

My idea for a coffee shop there would be to open a New Orleans themed cafe with fresh beignets, jazz music, and even Community Coffee.

The problem with Aperture is that it did nothing to set itself apart. I loved the space for doing work but their food offerings were horrible and you can get the rest of their stuff at Starbucks.

My idea for a coffee shop there would be to open a New Orleans themed cafe with fresh beignets, jazz music, and even Community Coffee.

The problem with Aperture is that it did nothing to set itself apart. I loved the space for doing work but their food offerings were horrible and you can get the rest of their stuff at Starbucks.

There is an issue with beignets - they have no shelf life. They must be eaten almost immediately after coming out of the deep fry (cooled enough not to burn one's tongue of course). Cafe du Monde sells beignets successfully because it has a steady stream of customers around the clock.

I believe it was Crescent City Beignets that opened a shop in the Clear Lake area a few years ago near the corner of Bay Area Blvd. and El Camino Real. The pastries themselves were fine but when business picked up it wasn't possible to fry the beignets fast enough to please the average Shipley-shopping suburbanite*. And, of course, you can't "stock up" on these things. In fact, I wouldn't even dream of taking them home if I lived more than a short (3 minute max.) walk from the shop.

Still, jazz and Community coffee sounds great to me and if the clientele can appreciate waiting a few minutes for a plate of beignets (they are so wonderful right out of the fryer) then so much the better.

*No slight meant to Shipley doughnuts (Do-nuts); I like them too.

A Catalina Coffee in Midtown would be nice, but I'm not sure how their "slow pour" would work in the drive-through line.

However a drive-through beignet place near downtown would be nice.

However a drive-through beignet place near downtown would be nice.

That would be great but I'd make such a mess of my car's interior with the powdered sugar! :(

Crescent City still does great on Westheimer across from Lamar High School. I think they have Community Coffee as well.

I do go there on occasion and, yes, they are doing great. I suppose their customers don't mind waitng a few minutes for their beignets.

There was a place at Buffalo Speedway and Bissonnet (in the strip center that was demolished for the new HEB) that served beignets. The owner was a grouch but he told me he had much better business in the evenings than in the early morning.

Tiff's Treats in going in next door to this location.

I think the exact spot where aperture use to be will be Federal Credit Union

"CENTRAL

Arhaus, Centre at Post Oak,  across from Houston Galleria
Frida Mexican Kitchen, 3452 Ella Blvd
Sears Home Appliance, 3277 Southwest Freeway
Kobecue, 1001 Main, downtown
Primeway Federal Credit Union, The Plazas at Midtown, 2503 Bagby"

Edited by DrLan34

I guess it is because IF Ministires is moving their corporate HQ's to Primeway's office on Main Street (3303 Main St, Houston, TX) .

Edited by DrLan34