Fiesta At 1407 Studewood St.

J008

Yep, definitely missing it already. They had a pretty awesome wine selection (in recent months/years) too. Great place to just run in on the way home. I'll miss that about it. And the music was the best freakin overhead mix I've ever heard in a store. I would have bought a CD of it, ha.

I'll miss it a little. However, the new Kroger is only a few blocks further for me, and the parking and layout of the Stidewood Kroger is very easy...much better than the Shepherd Kroger. And, the customer base is much better looking at the Studewood Kroger. The grumpy Heights residents don't go there. It is already my favorite grocery store.

Fiesta has pretty much let its stores inside the loop fall apart while looking to the burbs for their market. With a little investment and some imagination, that W14th store could have been packed with shoppers. But Fiesta decided that inside the loop was not their market. It is too bad because it is now 3 Krogers (practically 4 if you count River Oaks) v. a tired HEB on 18th, another neglected Fiesta on Shep, Walmart and Whole Foods. The lack of competition from HEB, primarily, is not good for the neighborhood. And there are very few, if any, opportunities for a new store to go in anywhere in the Greater Heights. I won't miss Fiesta on W14th that much. It was about 20 years past when it should have been upgraded/renovated. But, I will miss the opportunity for some competition to the Kroger saturation.

I loved that Fiesta, and everytime I went there the parking lot would be fairly full and their would be plenty of people inside. I think the profit margins are simply higher in the burbs and that is where they are going with their stores. To valuable dirt sitting under this one. As far as Kroger goes... I will take the Kroger on studewood or 11th over HEB anyday. I used to go to HEB all the time, but the past 2-3 years their selection has got continually worse (HEB Brand duplicates of everything don't equal more choices), their prices aren't as good as they were, and their produce is downright pathetic (the new walmart has better). My experiences have been with the bunker hill and the west alabama one.

[...]It is too bad because it is now 3 Krogers (practically 4 if you count River Oaks) v. a tired HEB on 18th, another neglected Fiesta on Shep, Walmart and Whole Foods. The lack of competition from HEB, primarily, is not good for the neighborhood. And there are very few, if any, opportunities for a new store to go in anywhere in the Greater Heights. [...]

...not to mention the Kroger on 43rd. Since they've basically missed the boat in the Heights, HEB would be wise to build something in the GO/OF area sooner rather than later.

I realize the rumors of a Central Market/HEB replacing the Sears on Shepherd were unfounded, but they'd probably do well there.

I've been told by the staff at Trader Joes that they are looking at opening 15 stores in Houston. One would think/hope that the Heights would be ideal for a TJ'S. That Fiesta may have been too large, but who knows.

I've been told by the staff at Trader Joes that they are looking at opening 15 stores in Houston. One would think/hope that the Heights would be ideal for a TJ'S. That Fiesta may have been too large, but who knows.

But can you really do all your grocery shopping at Trader Joes? I haven't been to the Houston store yet, but from what I remember in Lake Tahoe (my only TJs experience) it was more convenience foods and dry goods, but not meat, produce and basics.

But can you really do all your grocery shopping at Trader Joes? I haven't been to the Houston store yet, but from what I remember in Lake Tahoe (my only TJs experience) it was more convenience foods and dry goods, but not meat, produce and basics.

They do carry meat and produce, but, yes, in general they carry many fewer PLU's than a typical grocery store.

Also, if they come to the Heights, it will almost certainly need to be outside the dry area, since they do a brisk beer and wine trade.

TJ's is pretty good if you are entertaining and want to serve a variety of appetizers that taste okay without breaking the bank. Then again you could always go with Spec's in Midtown, but that would require going to Midtown.

Also, if they come to the Heights, it will almost certainly need to be outside the dry area, since they do a brisk beer and wine trade.

I suggest the old Eckerd's location at Studewood and 20th/Cavalcade. Modern building, decent parking lot and it's wet.

Plus, they could catch all of the people on their way home from the two bars we're supposedly getting in the area.

That "5-points" intersection is crying for development. It would be great to have something to balance all the activity on the south end of Studewood. Decent restaurants come and go further north on Main, and an anchor would stabilize the commercial potential. There's a block-sized residential development just underway at 23rd and Main, accelerating the recent trend in that northeast quadrant.

I suggest the old Eckerd's location at Studewood and 20th/Cavalcade. Modern building, decent parking lot and it's wet.

Plus, they could catch all of the people on their way home from the two bars we're supposedly getting in the area.

I thought exactly the same thing. However, it seems that Trader Joes prefers to be in or very close to existing strip mall developments. Even though they would probably print money if they took over that location, I have a feeling that it would be too far outside their corporate box when it comes to chosing locations.

Did anyone else receive the "Save $25 on any $50 purchase" Fiesta coupon this week? I decided to check out the Fiesta on N. Shepherd as it has been at least 15 years since I've been in there. I was surprised to see that many items were more expensive than at Kroger. Furthermore, the selection was not as good as at Kroger (but this is understandable as it is a much smaller store).

One item that I did find was angel hair pasta nests, which Kroger stopped carrying several years ago. Unless I get another $25/$50 coupon, that will probably be the only thing that takes me back to Fiesta.

Fiesta has always been more expensive than Kroger. I only went there for convenience, and only for a few items. For real grocery shopping, I always go to Kroger. And, HEB is not really cheaper either. Only on a few items. What I have found is that some people have used their anti-Kroger bias to convince themselves that HEB is better. I haven't seen it, even though I'll shop at either.

In the past I always would find Fiesta to be cheaper on produce items, but more expensive on everything else. I stopped buying produce there because no matter what Fiesta location I would visit there would always be a serious issue with flies in the produce section. I never experienced this at Kroger, HEB, or Randall's. The occasional fly or bug is normal, but at Fiesta I was expecting to hear Charlton Heston to yell "Let my people go" at any minute.

• 4 months later...

http://www.bridgewood.us/property-detail.html

It is a pretty crude computer generated rendering, but it is pretty disapointing.  Looks like an updated urban version of Century Village.  And the "Village of the Heights" just reminds me of "Village of the Damned". 

Wow this is depressing.  The initial press release implied some craftsman style village, now the rendering literally has an ambulance out front.

Wow this is depressing.  The initial press release implied some craftsman style village, now the rendering literally has an ambulance out front.

If you do not expect old folks homes to look like Craftsman bungalows, you'll find that you don't get depressed when they end up looking like old folks homes.

If you do not expect old folks homes to look like Craftsman bungalows, you'll find that you don't get depressed when they end up looking like old folks homes.

The developers were the ones who put the idea of it having craftsman inspired architecture in the media.  But even if they had not, this is a complete dud compared to the other finished projects on their website. 

"The property, which will be built in the Craftsman style to blend in with the neighborhood, will be about 80 units, including 20 independent living, 40 assisted living, and 20 memory care units. Completion takes 16 to 18 months."

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/08/new-use-in-store-for-heights-fiesta-mart/

For all I know there are facilities like this that are "craftsman style to blend in with the neighborhood".

Why would someone feel compelled to make the above statement knowing it is completely false.

I am just curious why people would rather have you believe something false than just tell the truth, or just not say anything at all.

Maybe they plan on using square head nails and asbestos.

No insulation in the walls.

J008, for all we know, they may still intend to honor that statement. Remember, that is barely even a rendering, and we know that few completed buildings look like the renderings. But, as JJ points out, there is nothing wrong with the design on that website. It is an old folks home, not an architect's headquarters. If it was too cutting edge, the residents would have heart attacks.

No insulation in the walls.

J008, for all we know, they may still intend to honor that statement. Remember, that is barely even a rendering, and we know that few completed buildings look like the renderings. But, as JJ points out, there is nothing wrong with the design on that website. It is an old folks home, not an architect's headquarters. If it was too cutting edge, the residents would have heart attacks.

The rendering has a lot of architectural detail in it.  Granted, the computer graphics stink, but it definitely comes from architects and not someone in sales/advertising. 

You make be ok with "there is nothing wrong with it" as being the standard for architecture in the Heights, but I would dare to hope for something better for my neighborhood.

And my parents have started looking at their options for assisted living in the next few years should the need arise.  Architecture is a major consideration for them.  They do not want to live anywhere that looks institutional.  Compared to the other designs on that company's website, the "Village of the Heights" rendering looks too plain and institutional.  The same company has shown in its other projects that they can do better.  I would want them to do better for the Heights and for the old folks who will pay plenty to live there.

.... If it was too cutting edge, the residents would have heart attacks.

And rookie ambulance drivers would just zoom right by it.  But why live in an old folks home when you can live in an old home for the same price?  As soon as all these new young couples adopt a couple of kids, it's off to the burbs rather than fight the HAHC and HISD at the same time.  The empty nesters can move right back in and wait to die authentically.

I should buy up a block in Independence Heights and retro fit all the shacks to be "seasoned individual" friendly.  I could market it as Independence... an assited living community.

Hrm... that started off as a sarcastic... now the wheels are turning...

• The title was changed to 14th St. Fiesta Will Be An Old Folks Home
  • The title was changed to Fiesta At 1407 Studewood St.

Archived