Fiesta At 1407 Studewood St.

J008

14th St. Fiesta Will Be An Old Folks Home Ughh... I will really miss this fiesta, as nice as some of the new grocery stores are, Fiesta has 90% of what I want, is usually cheaper, and always faster.

Edit: on another note. I posted the words "old folks" and now there is a romney add on the bottom.

http://blog.chron.co...ts-fiesta-mart/

This is sad, I walk and bike to this store regularly. I'll miss the store employees, who seem genuinely friendly and *gasp* say hello and smile when you check out. Kroger could learn a lesson in employee and customer satisfaction, which would be nice now that they have the Heights surrounded.

Hip Replacements: Houston Heights Not Just for Hipsters Anymore!

Too bad. It’s a great local store, friendly people and decent selection of stuff. In addition to a meeting place for local oldsters, they gave part-time and summer jobs to local kids too.

The demographics of aging Boomers will drive more of this type of development in and around the Heights.

I really wish that someone could have taken over the Fiesta and made a go of it at that site as a grocery store. HEB could have done well with a smaller store concept. A lot of people are sick of Kroger and would make a b-line to a new HEB in the neighborhood, even if it wasn't the usual 60-75k sq ft HEB. Maybe HEB is waiting for Fiesta to go under and sell off the W. 23rd store.

On the other hand, an assisted living home might be a pretty good thing for the neighborhood. The company that bought the property does upscale assisted living centers that look more like regular apartments/condos and do not have the institutional look of so many assisted living facilities. 14th and Studewood is a bit of an island for a commercial/retail center and is better suited for residential. As long as they stick with the plan to do 4 stories, it won't be out of scale for the neighborhood. I would think that W. 19th would be a much better location (haven't they been trying to sell the Baptist Temple for years?), but I am sure they will have a van to drive residents up to 19th and down to Kroger and Target to shop. If my parents ever lost their marbles and needed assisted living, it would be a great to have a nice place right in the neighborhood for them.

Well I guess I'm not against nor for this development, as long as it doesn't look like a spawling complex. Sorry Heights folks bout the news. And I hope the Fiesta in Midtown gets bought out as well, hate seeing a Fiesta sign flashing with our skyline in the background off 59. Tacky.

....If my parents ever lost their marbles and needed assisted living, it would be a great to have a nice place right in the neighborhood for them.

Private equity-developed nursing homes are becoming a "big thing", but statiscally patient care suffers compared to non-profits. For-profit institutions are more accountable for patient liabilities when the property owner/developer also clearly owns the operating company (due to exposure of capital assets). So I would be most interested in the business structure before depositing my parents at the corner of 14th and Studewood.

As long as they stick with the plan to do 4 stories, it won't be out of scale for the neighborhood.

The neighborhood scale now includes the Studewood/11th condos, so does that increase the number of stories that are considered in scale?

Reads like it will be a box with Craftsman decor and accountrements:

"The property, which will be built in the Craftsman style to blend in with the neighborhood, will be about 80 units, including 20 independent living, 40 assisted living, and 20 memory care units."

Doing some arithmetic, I figure this thing is going to cost $10-15MM all-in. That is roughly based on 80 units at 800 s.f. each over four floors, basically a 16,000 s.f. footprint with a $2MM land cost and $140/sf construction cost. How are 80 old folks/couples going to pay for that on top of the high operating cost of assisted living? I know on a lease basis these homes can cost a tenant upwards of $15,000/month. I do not think it works unless a prospective tenant owns his bungalow outright and has a real nice pension. So the plan could be to fleece the Heights old-timers on their homestead, flip it for a profit then squeeze Medicaid, Medicare and the pensions to run the place and payback the bank for turning the Fiesta into a future haunted mansion. I wonder if they are hiring.

I'm "eh." I hate to lose the Fiesta. I shop there for odds and ends, but not usually for my grocery list. However, I am really sad for people like my elderly neighbors who walk there for their groceries. There are a lot of elderly and low income that depend on having groceries within walking distance and they will be less independent now. Ironic.

The property, which will be built in the Craftsman style to blend in with the neighborhood, will be about 80 units, including 20 independent living, 40 assisted living, and 20 memory care units.

So...anyone care to opine what an 80 bedroom Craftsman would look like? If they design it to blend in with the neighborhood, does that mean it will be single story in front, with a 4 story camelback in the rear?

Maybe there will be a pudding and juice bar for all the "artificial hip- sters" moving in...

I'm also curious what a 4 story bungalow would look like.... I'm seeing a 4story bungalow totem pole in my mind... obviously that will not be what is built. I hope that they don't need all the extra parking Fiesta had and can sell that parcel of land between the bungalows, or turn it into some green space (Bocce and shuffle board!)

• 4 months later...

that fiesta has been my go to place for the impending zombie invasion for years. Barred glass doors with metal garage doors, that is pretty dang secure, not to mention the supplies. The security was exposed slightly though after that person crashed their car through the wall so easiliy to get in to the pharmacy. (as long as zombies didn't learn to drive it would have still been good).

I wonder if they are going to move all the buggies to other locations, or perhaps just evenly distribute them throughout the neighborhood? (Fiesta is known for picking up their buggies I know)

Yep, definitely missing it already. They had a pretty awesome wine selection (in recent months/years) too. Great place to just run in on the way home. I'll miss that about it. And the music was the best freakin overhead mix I've ever heard in a store. I would have bought a CD of it, ha.

Archived