Landscaping Houston's Highways

Actually, I've seen a lot more attention to asthetics over the last few years. There are a lot of trees and plants along the new construction of I-10, for instance. And they've done some nice stuff with the expanded overpasses on 610 and Woodway (Inlaid brick to break up boring slabs of concrete, lighting, those funky spheres, etc.).

Desert areas like Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso beautify their freeways without using any plants, or if there are plants they fit in the xeriscape.

Some of that has been done in Houston as noted by innerloop, and it looks good. Wish it would become the standard.

I oppose planting forests near freeways from a safety perspective, and I really hate the latest trend of planting esplanades with vegetation that gets too high to see over when trying to make a left across the oncoming lanes - Southside Place just completed a new landscaping on rebuilt Bellaire Blvd and it is impossible to see over the plantings in any vehicle that sits lower than a truck.

Yea I've noticed on the newer highway projects, they've done a better job of landscaping. But there are some major pockets of neglect that I feel the city should consider. I'm a sticker for detail because my belief is when you take care of the small things it helps the bigger grander things around look better. I think more should be done along the 59/ Greenway Plaza area. I hate seeing piles of dirt or overgrown dead trees along our highways. Who is responsible in maintaining the asthetics of our freeways?

We've all been at an intersectio in Houston next to a freeway. Why doesn't the city invest more time and money into beautifying our highway system to compliment all the nice new projects?

Because the people in beat up old Crown Vics need somewhere to dump their ashtrays.

In all seriousness - if the city took out the concrete paving or flat carpet grass that exists on a lot of medians, then the maintenance costs would go up. It's cheaper to do nothing (concrete) or mow once a month with a tractor.

Witness the strip between the main lanes and the southbound feeder on the Southwest Freeway from 610 to say Chimney Rock - heavily planted with pines, oaks, etc. - but is also overgrown to about 3 feet high with weeds. Originally covered with mulch and looked nice - but that is long gone. Now a crew hits it with Roundup about once a year which results in 3-foot tall dead weeds for a while till the ones they miss take back over and its a jungle again.

On the plus side, it does catch all the blowing trash and trap it and sort of conceal it.

What would be interesting is what the Updown District does. Partner with local business to adopt an esplanade and they put all sorts of pretty flowers out and mow and they get a nice litte sign showing their corporate benevolence. I think Houston could do this on a much larger scale.

Take the big interchange of 59S and 610. When you go through the HOV lane and take the exit under the interchange, you get to see all the trash that collects in the vortex of weeds there. Not terribly attractive. I say get one of the big, prominent, companies HQ'd in the Galleria area (Marathon, Hines, BHP Billiton) and get them to pay for a crew to landscape and maintain the whole interchange area. It would be a pittance for a company that size. In return, post several well-made large (not billboard, but maybe 3' x 5' ) signs showcasing what company is responsible for beautifying the area. It would be reasonbly cheap advertising and get good citizenship browinie points for the companies and it would cost the city next to nothing to administer if done properly.

That is such a great idea, plus it would relieve the city from the need to maintain that area. Damn now I wish the city would really consider some sort of beautification project partnering with all the powerhouse energy companies. I think the Energy Capital of the World should consider a green initative for the city.

That is such a great idea, plus it would relieve the city from the need to maintain that area. Damn now I wish the city would really consider some sort of beautification project partnering with all the powerhouse energy companies. I think the Energy Capital of the World should consider a green initative for the city.

The thread title makes me think of the Woodall Rodgers Freeway Park. I would appreciate it if the city fixed the major thoroughfares. How do they expect me to enjoy all the aesthetics if I'm busy avoiding potholes and uneven grades.

Couldn't they do like the state highway department does?

"Adopt a Highway" except, adopt a median, or adopt a grassy freeway knoll. tax deductible of course, but I bet a lot of businesses would be interested in giving back to the community in this way, especially if they were given recognition. - I see Pleak said this above, I didn't read it :(

No matter where funding comes from, they need to do this on every freeway https://maps.google....338.81,,0,11.89

It's oleander and palm, skip the palm (expensive) and just put in oleander on every freeway like this, it would reduce noise pollution from the freeway, it looks great all summer, and is at least evergreen in winter, requires very little maintenance at all, it would help fight the heat island effect, if just a little. I'm sure there would be other benefits (regardless of whether it is oleander or something else).

Yeah - something like the Adopt a Highway program is what I was thinking - but raise it a notch or two. Instead of just picking up the trash once a quarter, I was proposing an initial landscaping cost then weekly/biweekly? maintenance. Since it would only be for a limited area (not 2 miles like the Highway program) the costs shouldn't be too hard for Houston's major corporations to absorb.

what's to stop people from going out and buying plants and sneaking out there in the night and planting them. people go out and spray paint buildings illegally all the time, it can't be that much harder to go out and plant a tree in the median, and they'd likely not even notice.

All the trees they planted at the 10/45 interchange and 10/610 interchange look pretty good now that the trees have grown. The Grand Parkway in Cinco is the same way. I noticed a lot more landscaping and building up aesthetics when i was in town recently.

True all those areas have nice trees planted, but I want to see the core, inner-loop area get transformed. I realy like the pass of 59 with all the ivy, really adds to the vibe of the neighborhoods around that area. I love how Houston neighborhoods are so green tho, something we should embrace in this city, the fact that you can just about grow anything in our climate.

The trees that didn't die from the drought look great. In my opinion, Houston really only has vegetation to make our city look presentable. I wish we would make it more a priority to take advantage of our sub tropical climate by mkaing this city even more green.

True all those areas have nice trees planted, but I want to see the core, inner-loop area get transformed. I realy like the pass of 59 with all the ivy, really adds to the vibe of the neighborhoods around that area. I love how Houston neighborhoods are so green tho, something we should embrace in this city, the fact that you can just about grow anything in our climate.

The trees that didn't die from the drought look great. In my opinion, Houston really only has vegetation to make our city look presentable. I wish we would make it more a priority to take advantage of our sub tropical climate by mkaing this city even more green.

Donate. Get involved.

http://treesforhouston.org/

http://www.houstonbeautiful.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived