The Sovereign At Regent Square: Multifamily At 3233 W. Dallas St.

Urbannizer

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you hear that?

It's not so much what I have been told, but:

Through a pioneering Development Agreement from the City and Tax Increment Zone 5, Regent Square and The Sovereign will be reimbursed for critical improvements to the public infrastructure in the area. These improvements will include burying overhead utilities, upgrading drainage in the area and creating wide pedestrian-friendly sidewalks with mature street trees.

And that the city and JE Dunn surveyors have been marking the poles and lines down W Dallas and Rochow for the last 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally spoke to someone at JE Dunn.

They are not going to bury the lines down Rochow, only down W. Dallas between Rochow and Rosine.

They current road construction on Rochow should be complete in 2 weeks.

They also said that they are going to do a full street replacement on Rochow, but not until Feb '14.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't find this development elsewhere on this site. May need to be merged...either way, something to look out for. This is the first installation of many high-rises by GID in The proposed 9-acre development. Piles going in now for the 21-story multi-family structure with a modest sundry shop at the NE corner of W Dallas and Rochow.

pa2wis7klij1954mln.jpg

Couldn't find this development elsewhere on this site. May need to be merged...either way, something to look out for. This is the first installation of many high-rises by GID in The proposed 9-acre development. Piles going in now for the 21-story multi-family structure with a modest sundry shop at the NE corner of W Dallas and Rochow.

pa2wis7klij1954mln.jpg

here it is

many high-rises? did you misspeak and mean midrises, as in say 6-8 story buildings? It'd be nice if you didn't. Any other info you can give up?

For what it's worth, on W. Dallas and Dunlavy, they have a big collection of rebar. I am assuming they are using this spot as a holding site for the soviergn build. All this being said they are building a small structure on the site...looks like a mock building they sometimes do to show what it will look like.

Is this ALL connected to the soviergn or could they possibly be moving forward with other phases of RS?

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, on W. Dallas and Dunlavy, they have a big collection of rebar. I am assuming they are using this spot as a holding site for the soviergn build. All this being said they are building a small structure on the site...looks like a mock building they sometimes do to show what it will look like.

Is this ALL connected to the soviergn or could they possibly be moving forward with other phases of RS?

Very exciting! It's certainly progress to see something from Regent Square moving forward.

Yes!....and they're working on the next phase which will be built where the brick mock-up ChrisP referred to is located.

Mid-rise apartment and a movie theater and appears to be a different architect for each. Though, there hasn't been official design approval of either...

There sure are a lot of movie theaters coming to the area with this one, the one at River Oaks District, and the Alamo in Midtown. Which exact corner of W. Dallas & Dunlavy will this be going on ?

There sure are a lot of movie theaters coming to the area with this one, the one at River Oaks District, and the Alamo in Midtown. Which exact corner of W. Dallas & Dunlavy will this be going on ?

Inner loop desperately needs more movie theaters. Edwards Greenway and the one downtown are basically your only options.

• 1 month later...

Man that's a clean construction site! I have total faith in this responsible developer (GID Development) and of all the projects going up in Houston over the next few years, this is the one I'm most excited about!! And that includes City Centre, BLVD Place, and the River Oaks District. The only project(s) that come close are what's going on in the "Convention District" downtown. :)

Man that's a clean construction site! I have total faith in this responsible developer (GID Development) and of all the projects going up in Houston over the next few years, this is the one I'm most excited about!! And that includes City Centre, BLVD Place, and the River Oaks District. The only project(s) that come close are what's going on in the "Convention District" downtown. :)

What makes this project more exciting to you than say a BLVD place or new convention center hotel?

By 'this project' I'm referring to the entire Regent Square development and not just this Sovereign residential tower. It's the one current Houston development that I believe adheres the most to conventional urban planning IMO. All others, accept the Convention District projects taken collectively will mostly require driving to a destination, parking, then getting out of your car and meandering around limited boundaries before getting back in you car and leaving.

I believe GID is being careful to blend its development into the surrounding neighborhood strategically enough where casual observers are not exactly sure where the existing neighborhood ends and where Regent square begins. http://www.gid.com/d...ent-square.aspx

Their overall design creates a truly walkable urban streetscape where none exists today - one in which buildings relate to each other and lower levels are built to a human scale allowing ample on-street parallel parking along with wide sidewalks and street trees that encourage and buffer pedestrian activity from traffic. With the exception of Allen Pkwy to the northwest, the streets all involve slower moving traffic which least intimidates pedestrians.

Additionally, I appreciate the fact they're using a combination of 10+ distinct architects in an 'attempt' to avoid creating a homogenous development. They have a 10 year development plan and appear to be sticking to their guns to get things right rather than just throwing something up and moving on. I'm in the construction business and although it seems overly simplistic, I can usually gauge the quality of a developer or builder by the cleanliness and organization of their job sites.

Yeah, super excited about this one! :)

By 'this project' I'm referring to the entire Regent Square development and not just this Sovereign residential tower. It's the one current Houston development that I believe adheres the most to conventional urban planning IMO. All others, accept the Convention District projects taken collectively will mostly require driving to a destination, parking, then getting out of your car and meandering around limited boundaries before getting back in you car and leaving.

I believe GID is being careful to blend its development into the surrounding neighborhood strategically enough where casual observers are not exactly sure where the existing neighborhood ends and where Regent square begins. http://www.gid.com/d...ent-square.aspx

Their overall design creates a truly walkable urban streetscape where none exists today - one in which buildings relate to each other and lower levels are built to a human scale allowing ample on-street parallel parking along with wide sidewalks and street trees that encourage and buffer pedestrian activity from traffic. With the exception of Allen Pkwy to the northwest, the streets all involve slower moving traffic which least intimidates pedestrians.

Additionally, I appreciate the fact they're using a combination of 10+ distinct architects in an 'attempt' to avoid creating a homogenous development. They have a 10 year development plan and appear to be sticking to their guns to get things right rather than just throwing something up and moving on. I'm in the construction business and although it seems overly simplistic, I can usually gauge the quality of a developer or builder by the cleanliness and organization of their job sites.

Yeah, super excited about this one! :)

Well let's just hope their updated plans are what we have been seeing this entire time. I am more confident than not that it is the same or close, however.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived