The Sovereign At Regent Square: Multifamily At 3233 W. Dallas St.

Urbannizer

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Just what the city needs to spend billions on.. Burying power lines. I agree it looks nicer but the city doesnt exactly have an abundance of money and has bigger problems than power lines

Besides looking nice, what about hurricanes and trees bringing them down? There's got to be a cost for that.

Besides looking nice, what about hurricanes and trees bringing them down? There's got to be a cost for that.

The city tried to convince us that burying lines wasn't good because Houston floods. Then Ike came along and all the neighborhoods with underground utilities never lost power. Uptown for example. Meanwhile the rest of us went without for a week or more.

Admittedly that's a great point that I overlooked. Don't get me wrong, I wish the city would bury the lines, I'm just more of a realist and realize we don't have the extra money for something like that when we have bigger fish to fry.

I googled this question..and it seems after ike it was a hot topic..basic it a trade off anyway you go...below ground cost more to construct...but are less likey to go out during a storm..however when they do go out they can take longer to repair and the source of the damage can be harder to locate

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's new for sure. Urbanizer and I were talking about it. He noticed the Sovereign label says phase I and phase II is labeled just below it. However, that sovereign design does not look like what's actually being built (looks like there is space on the north side between the tower and west side apartments). And isn't there an apartment complex just south of it that they'd still have to acquire and demo? It hasn't been announced in the media, at least, that it's been acquired. And that doesn't look like the best place for the phase II that we think is coming - a theater. Makes me wonder if it's the most recent site plan.

Lockmat, I think this is the most recent site plan. The gap between the Sovereign's tower and west apartments appears to be just the on the 7th floor amenities deck and not actually on the ground floor (so its still all connected, as currently built).

It was my understanding that GID has always owned the older apartment section just south of the Sovereign and it looks like they've relocated the previously released rendering of the tallest glass residential tower to the site as well (far right tower rendering here: http://www.gid.com/development/).

Additionally, the next phase that was (is?) slated to break ground before the end of the year housing the 35K SQFT Alamo Drafthouse could only be located in the stand alone building on the central park with the pool on the roof. All of the other retail/restaurant space is located in very thin (linear) first floor retail strips with residential above.

Still excited about this project - It will be Houston's most well designed quasi-urban district IMO!

Lockmat, I think this is the most recent site plan. The gap between the Sovereign's tower and west apartments appears to be just the on the 7th floor amenities deck and not actually on the ground floor (so its still all connected, as currently built).

It was my understanding that GID has always owned the older apartment section just south of the Sovereign and it looks like they've relocated the previously released rendering of the tallest glass residential tower to the site as well (far right tower rendering here: http://www.gid.com/development/).

Additionally, the next phase that was (is?) slated to break ground before the end of the year housing the 35K SQFT Alamo Drafthouse could only be located in the stand alone building on the central park with the pool on the roof. All of the other retail/restaurant space is located in very thin (linear) first floor retail strips with residential above.

Still excited about this project - It will be Houston's most well designed quasi-urban district IMO!

I've heard phase II won't start until 2015 or 2016. Makes sense because Allen House is still giving out 12 month leases.

It was my understanding that GID has always owned the older apartment section just south of the Sovereign and it looks like they've relocated the previously released rendering of the tallest glass residential tower to the site as well (far right tower rendering here: http://www.gid.com/development/).

I was thinking something similar concerning the gap. But that entire north side is residential, so why isn't it labeled?

Also, what gives you the impression they relocated the glass tower. The site plan for its "old" location seems unchanged.

Have y'all noticed that there are townhomes directly west of the Sovereign? Per the renderings and site plan, they will be totally engulfed by this project. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing for them. I think their back windows will be facing a parking garage. At least the front view will be better. Maybe it's not so bad after all.

edit: I take back what I said about the north side of the Sovereign. I took a closer look and you're right, your explanation seems plausible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I happened to be driving by the Dunleavy construction office yesterday and one of the supervisors was crossing the street and I asked him how much longer before they top this one and he said they have one more floor to go and it will be topped out.

Archived