The Sovereign At Regent Square: Multifamily At 3233 W. Dallas St.

Urbannizer

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Any way you can get a detailed description of which portion of the apts that is? I called a few weeks ago and they were still leasing.

Swamplot listed it on their daily demo report here. They call it "Building 14". It looks like it is the eastern-most building, leaving the units at Dunlavy & W. Dallas untouched. Here where the photos seemed to have been taken:

OIPLb.jpg

Swamplot listed it on their daily demo report here. They call it "Building 14". It looks like it is the eastern-most building, leaving the units at Dunlavy & W. Dallas untouched. Here where the photos seemed to have been taken:

OIPLb.jpg

Thanks Sam.

I didn't see the demo work today, but was going to say that I'm almost positive it was the building(s) that you pointed out. They've been doing some minor demo work or prep work on these building(s), which are the ones that are immediately south of where the old JE Dunn trailers and parking lot used to be (the trailers used to be on that small grassy spot near the tip of the arrow).

Of course, they removed the JE Dunn trailers a while back, but I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that the former trailer lots have been filled with trucks of workers who have been doing work on these building(s) (south of the former JE Dunn trailer lot). Looking at it on a map, it makes sense that they would be knocking out these Allen House buildings, and apparently leaving the others in tact for now. If you look at where the covered parking is, combined with the old trailer lot and the area where these structures are being torn down, I think it gives a pretty good idea of where the rough footprint for this building will be (correct me if I'm wrong).

Here's hoping that things will progress quickly from this point forward. Could be a lot of construction going on around here over the next year or so with this and the Finger lot (one block east of this site on W. Dallas) looking primed to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in this building. According to the property manager, they are only demolishing the front 12 units of the building at 3203 W. Dallas. The rest of the units will remain in tact, and the resident and visitor parking lots will be relocated.

I found this online http://issuu.com/ericaf/docs/2011_05_31_sd_w_added_floor_estimate_-_proposal_bo - I don't think it is exactly what will happen, but pretty sure it's not too far off (see last page)

I live in this building. According to the property manager, they are only demolishing the front 12 units of the building at 3203 W. Dallas. The rest of the units will remain in tact, and the resident and visitor parking lots will be relocated.

I found this online http://issuu.com/eri...e_-_proposal_bo - I don't think it is exactly what will happen, but pretty sure it's not too far off (see last page)

page 2 mentions retail space

• 3 weeks later...

sovereign-1.jpg

I think somebody should post a picture of the rendering on each new page that way we don't have to flip through pages to find it. Kind of annoys me when I have to do that.

I believe the old forum format had the option to keep the first post on each page. It is missing now.

• 2 months later...

And construction has BEGUN!!!

New Rendering:

628x471.jpg

http://www.chron.com...p#photo-3329887

A long-delayed residential project near downtown, primarily targeting well-paid professionals with upscale apartments and condos and a cluster of retail, entertainment and offices, is finally under way.

More than five years after announcing plans for the 24-acre Regent Square project off Allen Parkway, GID Development Group has begun construction on the first building, a 21-story apartment tower called The Sovereign.

It represents an important milestone for GID, which had planned to break ground before the national economy went into a tailspin.

"We went through a tough cycle in the real estate market and the overall economy," said James Linsley, president of Boston-based GID.

The project was one of several that were shelved or canceled as demand for space dried up and lenders stopped financing major commercial real estate projects.

GID said it remains committed to Regent Square, which is to go up in multiple phases on land abutting Allen Parkway near Dunlavy and Dallas, on the site of the old Allen House Apartments. The development could take 10 years to complete.

Plans include about 400,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment space; more than 1,500 residential units; and 250,000 square feet of office space in what the developer refers to as an "urban district" where residents can walk to everything. The walkable nature of the project extends beyond its borders, Linsley said, with a pedestrian trail around Buffalo Bayou and high-end shops and a new Whole Foods a short distance away.

Additional construction could begin in about a year as the company is "moments away" from signing up a major retail tenant, Linsley said.

The project is being built with financial assistance from the city of Houston, through the Memorial Heights Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone, or TIRZ.

City assistance

In the spring of 2009, the Houston City Council voted to assist the project with up to $10 million in reimbursements for public improvements the developer agreed to make. At that time, the project was being pitched as an $850 million development.

The agreement was later amended to include the public infrastructure around The Sovereign. Linsley said that includes burying overhead utilities, upgrading drainage in the area and creating wide sidewalks with mature street trees, but he would not discuss the monetary details.

Mayor's support

In a statement, Mayor Annise Parker expressed her support.

"This project is yet another reflection of Houston's economic upturn, which the rest of our nation is still trying to achieve after a severe recession," Parker said. "It shows the city's dedication to continuing to bring jobs and economic growth to Houston."

The apartment tower will be built at 3233 W. Dallas and include 290 units. It was designed by Houston-based Ziegler Cooper Architects to achieve a LEED Silver rating from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Initial occupancy is slated for March 2014.

The apartments will start at the ground level to help create a pedestrian-friendly environment at the sidewalk. Units in most high-rise buildings start above the garage.

The developer said the apartments will have top-of-the-line finishes, such as kitchens with wine refrigerators. The eighth floor will be The Sovereign Club and include such amenities as a yoga studio, a massage room, a catering kitchen and private dining rooms.

Unit sizes will range from around 590 square feet for a studio apartment to 1,415 square feet for a two-bedroom unit. The average size will be around 1,000 square feet.

GID would not say what it plans to charge for rent.

"We will be priced near the top of the market," Linsley said.

"The primary market audience will be well-paid 25- to 45-year-old professional singles and couples renting as a lifestyle choice," he said. "They may be a little bit averse to homeownership."

Construction has begun at The Sovereign, one of the buildings planned for the Regent Square development on Allen Parkway and Dunlavy.

There's a full discussion of Regent Square here:

But since The Sovereign was underway, it seems finally worthy of its own thread for people to post pictures in, etc...

I wonder how this will stack up against other towers along allen parkway.

Per an internet search, towers on or within the Montrose - Dunlavy & Memorial - W. Clay rectangle:

RESIDENTIAL

The Royalton: 33 stories, 360 feet

Legacy at Memorial: 25 stories, 315 feet

The Sovereign: 21 stories, (unknown height)

COMMERCIAL (all in American General Center)

America Tower: 42 stories, 590 feet

Wortham Tower: 25 stories, 337 feet

Woodson Tower: 15 stories, 208 feet

Riviana Building: 15 stories, 208 feet

• 3 weeks later...

Archived