WaterWall Place: Multifamily At 2801 Waterwall Dr.

now why couldn't they have added some sort of retail component to this? how perfect would it have been to have a restaurant or cafe directly overlooking the park??? to me it just seems like a no-brainer in this type of setting. this area is already very dense, only getting denser, and the pedestrian traffic would be phenomenal. c'mon, houston!

Good point. That area is just starving for some decent retail.

• Like 1

Hopefully someone from Hines in a position to make decisions regarding retail for this project reads this blog :) and reconsiders retail here because it really does appear to be a no brainer.

I wonder if parking considerations factored into any decision not to include retail here. The retail spaces would almost be forced to rely on the Galleria or Transo's parking garages because the 518 spaces in Waterwall Place's parking deck would hardly accommodate 322 residences and their visiting guests (1.5 cars per unit is somewhat standard for these type developments) let alone additional retail visitors.

Personally, I know I have a difficult time finding on-street parking whenever I visit the Waterwall Park.

I don't really think that is a very good retail spot at all. The Waterwall doesn't get terribly too many visitors and besides that, the place is kind of cut off from everything else despite being next door to the galleria. That corner really doesn't have much visibility.

I don't really think that is a very good retail spot at all. The Waterwall doesn't get terribly too many visitors and besides that, the place is kind of cut off from everything else despite being next door to the galleria. That corner really doesn't have much visibility.

That shouldn't matter to post-modernist aesthetes.

I used to eat lunch at the waterwall a lot when I was young. I would take girls from work there. This is one place in Houston where street level retail might work. The empty street level retail under apartments one street over has probably convinced the developers that it doesn't work in the Galleria though. I think they may be wrong in this case but the people who develop these projects are not walkability geeks like many HAIF people. They do the studies, see what works in the area according to statitisics and go home to their families. It's just a job, they want to make money, go home and forget about work.

Personally, I know I have a difficult time finding on-street parking whenever I visit the Waterwall Park.

That's because there is none.

And one whole block away is free covered parking. (It's this small little development called the Galleria.) And there was even a sidewalk connecting the two until construction started.

But I guess the walkability geeks who are always complaining about Houston not being walkable actually mean they want to park at the curb of their destination and walk the 25-feet to the Waterwall.

And then they wonder why Wal-mart has to have scooters.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i heard from a decent source (nothing concrete, mind you) this weekend that Hines has added a retail component to the ground level of this project. didn't say w 100% certainty but that's what i was told when we discussed this project. hope it's true bc i stand by my assertion that a restaurant/cafe/coffee shop in this location would do well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...