Mapojeong Restaurant At 602 Studewood St.

fwki

I saw that Venture Commercial and Bryan Danna posted their real estate sign in front of the Conoco. These are the same developers of the former Burroughs property on the north side of White Oak (D'Amicos etc). HCAD Tax records still show the Burroughs trust as owners, but that data base is not current. Anybody hear anything about the site being in play?

The property falls under the original Norhill Addition deed restrictions, but it is one of the originally designated commercial lots in Norhill Addition wherein the residential limitations did not apply. I do not know what commercial deed restrictions exist, if any, so a nice tall tower would really spark the forum!

• Like 1

City records show transactions for two properties closed on April 11, 2012 from Burroughs Trust to 602 STWD LP (GP being NAV-Retail, LLC). The Conoco tract is 18,237 SF and the Ready Room tract is 9,768 both classified as commercial real estate. That is a nice chunk of land.

• Like 1

Would there be MTBE contamination issues? I would guess that no one would be interested in keeping it as a gas station once Kroger opens up its gas station down the street. But with or without MTBE remediation costs, it will not be cheap to take out the gas tanks and get a clean bill of health from an enviro engineer. The other issue is that the Studewood side has that weird merge lane that cuts Studewood NB down from two lanes to one. Not a deal killer, but it would not be a feature that a fast food restaurant would want in front of its main driveway. I suspect it will be a while before someone takes a shot at redeveloping this parcel. There are other similarly sized parcels in the Heights that do not have as much baggage.

• Like 1

Compared to the cost of the property and rebuilding, the tank removal or abandonment is cheap - about $5,000-$10,000 per location. Since 1998 all tanks in use had to meet modern standards which is why we saw many old stations close in the early 90's. No doubt the purchaser did his enviromental due-diligence in any case. However, these guys didn't lift a brick for two years after purchase of the D'Amicos tract, so don't expect any action soon.

Gas stations are repurposed routinely. Not only is it not a deal killer, it is not even a deal inhibitor. Given the limited number of parcels eligible for liquor permits (this site has had two), it won't be hard to turn that lot.

How about a Heights version of Petrol, but with a real kitchen.

I think something similar in size to the development on 11th and studewood would fit nicely there. But really i just want a sushi or indian restaurant.

Off topic but a lot of people don't know that Thai Spice on 19th has sushi. It's not a huge assortment, but it has always been fresh and it's BYOB.

...as does (I think) Dragon Bowl on 11th.

and don't forget Kroger....heck, I think the Conoco serves sushi now ever since the WHCA wrote it into the deed restrictions as "compulsory fare" along with the no new garage apartments clause.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Let the Margarita wars begin! I hope it's a traditional Mexican cantina in keeping with the historical knife and gun play at that location. Plus I like the traditional Mexican cantina rules......from Wikipedia:

In rural Mexico, cantina traditionally refers to a kind of bar that is normally frequented only by males for the purpose of imbibing alcohol and partaking of botanas (appetizers). Some cantinas are also known for being places where people gather to play dominoes, cards or other table games. Cantinas can often be distinguished by signs that expressly prohibit entrance to women (mujeres) and children... Also, some cantinas explicitly prohibit entrance to dogs (perros) and men in police or military uniform (uniformados). Some of the traditional restrictions on entry to cantinas are beginning to fade away. However, in many areas it is still viewed as scandalous for proper ladies to be seen visiting a genuine cantina.

Yes. According to the HAHC's Unwritten Rules of Historical Designation, dueling grounds and locations of judicial combat are to be preserved in their entirety including areas of participation, secondee activity and observation.

From the article:

"I will actually be adding on to the existing Conoco building and adding about 5,000 more square feet of restaurant and outdoor patio space." He admits to being chagrined about having to demolish the old Redi Room, but when has time not marched on in Houston?

So, they will repurpose the gas station and demolish the old bar. Interesting. Petrol Station did a great job repurposing an old gas station. But, that Conoco station is a different story. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.