Buying a Coffee Maker

RedScare

Well, I was going to buy the Hamilton Beach 2-way coffeemaker for $79, but it cost $88.97 at Target. Not only was it nearly $10 more than at Walmart, it was $9 more than Target's "online price". That severely pissed me off, so I bought a Black & Decker 12 cup model for about $50. It does a good job, but I am still annoyed at the 10 buck ripoff for going to the store, so I will now shop at Walmart just to teach Target a lesson. With marketing tactics like that, it is amazing that the hipsters brag on Target, but like I said earlier, they appear to like to brag about how much they pay for things. In that case, Target would be the store for them.

Well, I was going to buy the Hamilton Beach 2-way coffeemaker for $79, but it cost $88.97 at Target. Not only was it nearly $10 more than at Walmart, it was $9 more than Target's "online price". That severely pissed me off, so I bought a Black & Decker 12 cup model for about $50. It does a good job, but I am still annoyed at the 10 buck ripoff for going to the store, so I will now shop at Walmart just to teach Target a lesson. With marketing tactics like that, it is amazing that the hipsters brag on Target, but like I said earlier, they appear to like to brag about how much they pay for things. In that case, Target would be the store for them.

If you, like me, receive a 20% off coupon from BB&B in the mail even three days, you could probably get it for only $64. Assuming this is the one. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18223562

Also, I think it's funny that anyone would brag about shopping at Target.

If you, like me, receive a 20% off coupon from BB&B in the mail even three days, you could probably get it for only $64. Assuming this is the one. http://www.bedbathan...sp?SKU=18223562

Also, I think it's funny that anyone would brag about shopping at Target.

I think it is funny, too, but they do.

Yes, that is the one. Unfortunately, my old one broke in between the twice weekly BB&B coupon, and I needed my coffee NOW, so Target it was. Pretty sad that even BB&B is 9 bucks cheaper than Target. Maybe if they didn't give so much money to anti-gay referendums...

Sorry for laying a trap, but I did it to prove an important point about a problem I have with Walmart. Walmart pressures manufacturers to make a cheaper version of their product for exclusive sale in Walmart, and sometimes a few other retailers, but sold under the exact same name. The only way to see the difference is to check the model number against the manufacturer's site. On Walmart, the model number is 49980, while on the manufacturer's site it is 49980Z. This is not a typo. Go look up the manuals on Hamilton Beach's site and you will find very subtle differences between 49980 and 49980Z. For example, 49980 advises customers not to use the SANI cycle when dishwashing certain parts of the coffeemaker, which likely means that those parts of the coffeemaker are made of a lower quality material than the real original version.

Now, target.com doesn't tell us the model number, so you'd have to check it in store to see which one it is. But this is the kind of cheating that Walmart does to create the appearance of savings when in fact they're giving you a crappier product that either has fewer features or a lower build quality.

Very sneaky stuff.

The internet is rife with stories of the Walmart version being an inferior product: http://www.rogersplaceblog.com/2007/10/dont-buy-ge-microwaves-from-walmart.html

I am aware of that. However, it does not excuse Target charging 11% more for the exact same model that they sell on the Target website. And, FWIW, the GE coffeemaker that crapped out on me last month was a Target product. The Krups coffee/espresso combo that crapped out that I pulled back out of storage is so old that I do not remember where it came from, so it must have been pretty good, considering that it made it all the way to this past Sunday. I just didn't feel like paying Krups prices, as I do not brew espresso very often..

When it comes to coffee makers, and other nearly disposable appliances, Walmart's price pressure is fine. However, when purchasing more expensive items (such as the flat screen TV I just bought), I go straight to the source. My Sony TV came from the Sony Store. But, that is the point. You go to Walmart when only price matters. You go to other stores when quality matters. No one ever accused Walmart of selling quality goods. Even Walmart doesn't advertise that. But, just as there is a sucker born every minute, there are people who actually believe plastic crap from China that cost more at Target is somooow better than plastic crap from China that cost less at Walmart.

For those who don't know, Home Depot and Lowes do the same thing Walmart does. So does Best Buy. I'm sure Target also does, I just haven't looked to see. Pretty much all big box retailers have a cheaper version of whatever name brand product you want. That is not always a bad thing, but if you need the quality, don't get it there.

I am aware of that. However, it does not excuse Target charging 11% more for the exact same model that they sell on the Target website.

Unless: Target feels comfortable selling the legitimate product in-store, 49980Z, where they have a captive audience already, and sells the budget product online to compete with other online retailers. Have to check the model number in store to see if it is the exact same model. And really I guess we couldn't confirm, because Target's website doesn't say.

I wish Walmart had been open Sunday. My coffe maker burned out, and Walmart's price for the replacement was a full $9.00 cheaper than Target for the exact same machine.

Spend a few extra $ and buy a Bunn. (I believe BB&B sells them)

I had mine for 10 years before it gave up the ghost. We "punished" it in those 10 years, making 1-3 pots a day. Best part; it makes a 10 cup pot in 4 minutes!

bogr10b.jpg

Now if money is no object, the $280 Technivorm Moccamaster is unsurpassed in build-quality and performance. My current unit is 8 years old.

9555-300.jpg

Spend a few extra $ and buy a Bunn. (I believe BB&B sells them)

I had mine for 10 years before it gave up the ghost. We "punished" it in those 10 years, making 1-3 pots a day. Best part; it makes a 10 cup pot in 4 minutes!

bogr10b.jpg

Now if money is no object, the $280 Technivorm Moccamaster is unsurpassed in build-quality and performance. My current unit is 8 years old.

9555-300.jpg

How fast is the Moccamaster?

I love the buns, but I find it extremely annoying that they are not programmable....I set my maker to be ready when I get up, I cant wait 4 minutes!

I used to get pissed at stores that had cheaper prices online. But if you think of the brick-and-mortar and online stores as separate entities, it makes sense: it's cheaper to sell online. If you want to touch and feel stuff, and immediate gratification, you should be willing to spend a little more.

How fast is the Moccamaster?

I love the buns, but I find it extremely annoying that they are not programmable....I set my maker to be ready when I get up, I cant wait 4 minutes!

The Moccamaster is not as fast as the Bunn (which holds water at a constant temperature, insuring a fast brew), but it's still pretty darn fast. You can also steal a cup with the Moccamaster if you need to.

The Technivorm is made in the Netherlands and is seriously overbuilt. (The power cord is a thicker gauge than on my Miller Mig welder, the thing is a beast!)

I don't know if they have a programmable model, but check out their site. www.technivorm.com

The Moccamaster is not as fast as the Bunn (which holds water at a constant temperature, insuring a fast brew), but it's still pretty darn fast. You can also steal a cup with the Moccamaster if you need to.

The Technivorm is made in the Netherlands and is seriously overbuilt. (The power cord is a thicker gauge than on my Miller Mig welder, the thing is a beast!)

I don't know if they have a programmable model, but check out their site. www.technivorm.com

{Dutch tourist information}

The Dutch take coffee making and drinking very seriously. I've yet to drink a bad cup of joe in the Netherlands, regardless of whether it's made at someone's home, some random cafe on the corner, or a restaurant (well, I've not actually ordered coffee in a coffee shop, but then the coffee shops aren't known for their coffee).

When you visit, there are shops devoted to selling just coffee equipment in each little town, from a simple drip machine to espresso machines to all the necessary stuff for espresso, tampers, knock boxes, you name it, they have 50 different brands to choose from.

Granted I've never been to a Starbucks in the Netherlands, actually, thinking about it, I've never seen one there, but I bet if they have them, they're just in the tourist areas.

{/Dutch tourist information}

{Dutch tourist information}

The Dutch take coffee making and drinking very seriously. I've yet to drink a bad cup of joe in the Netherlands, regardless of whether it's made at someone's home, some random cafe on the corner, or a restaurant (well, I've not actually ordered coffee in a coffee shop, but then the coffee shops aren't known for their coffee).

Agreed.

Even their vending machines give good coffee. One job I had over there, I talked to the guy servicing the vending machine (which would make your coffee approximately 1,435,568 different ways) about the brand of coffee used and where I could buy it. He ended up giving me 3-4 bricks to bring home. Alas, apparently I threw the last package out thinking I still had more - so I could not do an internet search to try and order anymore. It was the best office coffee by far I have ever had.

Agreed.

Even their vending machines give good coffee. One job I had over there, I talked to the guy servicing the vending machine (which would make your coffee approximately 1,435,568 different ways) about the brand of coffee used and where I could buy it. He ended up giving me 3-4 bricks to bring home. Alas, apparently I threw the last package out thinking I still had more - so I could not do an internet search to try and order anymore. It was the best office coffee by far I have ever had.

You could try that Dutch store in Old Town Spring. My guess is that it is a blend of coffee from one of the former Dutch colonies in Indonesia (Java, Sumatra, Celebes, Timor, Flores, Bali, etc), a little Ethiopian Yirgacheffe or Yemen Mocca, and possibly a little Columbian or Brazilian for good measure.

But to stay on topic, Target sometimes carries the current Cup of Excellence winners in their Archer Farms brand coffee. The farmers who wins the contest are acknowledged for their fine coffees and are able to command a super-premium amount of mulah for his or her coffee at auction time. This money is re-invested into the farm, childrens education, etc. The market dynamics have also caused 2nd-5th place coffees to command a premium. This is my kind of "Fair Trade".

www.cupofexcellence.org

Sadly, the coffee offering at the Little Dutch Girl is very slim, only Douwe Egberts blend, which is really tasty, but isn't worth the trip up to Spring. TGM is right on the types of beans to scour for when trying to find something that's going to fit the flavor you'll find in the Netherlands. Personally, I just scour for a light roast Sumatra and consider myself lucky if I find it..

That's good info about Target offering the Cup of Excellence winners, I don't think I shop there regularly enough to put it on my list of things to look for.

Archived