2012 (should have been Houston) London Olympics

RedScare

The river that runs through London is as brown as our bayou water. I know the Buffalo Bayou Partnership already knows they are assets, I hope developers are taking notice too.

Yes, but theirs has cache. Mostly because it is the River Thames, as opposed to the Thames River. Note that no one has even heard of the Thames River, which is in Connecticut. In order to give cache to the Buffalo Bayou, I propose we begin calling it the Bayou Buffalo.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 1

Wow I love love love London. It's really a great city with so much to see and do. I kinda hope the Olympians have a chance to get out when they're done competing. I was there for a mere 2 days last year, but if I ever go back I want to spend a whole week just in London.

Just watched the interview with Aly Raisman, I think she is a robot. I've never heard anyone who speaks with less emotion in their voice. It's not a big deal, good for Google for making a robot capable of winning gold in the Olympics, now work on making it sound more human.

• 2 weeks later...

Or build a retractable roof for every sport facility we have or will build for the games. ;)

Not a retractable roof necessarily, but the Houston plan had the bulk of events in climate-controlled facilities. Reliant Stadium MinuteMaid Park and the Astrodome. Plus of course a good number of summer games are indoors at all host cities (e.g., gymnastics, swimming, diving, etc.)

• Like 1

Summer or not, I'm thrilled that the Olympics weren't awarded to Houston. A lot of money spent for no particularly valuable outcome.

Agreed. If we are going to spend that amount of money, I would hope it would be put into pure infrastructure - roads, rails(freight & passenger), airports, ports, parks, utilities. The results would do more to long-term transform Houston than any disused hulking sports facility. We already have one of those.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-18780003

http://www.businessinsider.com/2004-athens-olympics-venues-abandoned-today-photos-2012-8?op=1