2012 (should have been Houston) London Olympics

RedScare

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what kind of buildings they had to tear down to build all these venues?

Not sure, but I have heard that the Olympic Village will be repurposed as housing for the very ethnically diverse location it sits.

After the Games

After the Games, the Olympic Village will be a lasting legacy of essential new housing for east London. It will be transformed into 2,818 new homes, including 1,379 affordable homes and houses for sale and rent, and will create a new residential quarter to be known as East Village.

The communities that develop in the area after the Games will be supported by new parklands, open space, new transport links and community facilities. These will include Chobham Academy – a world-class new education campus with 1,800 places for students aged 3–19 – and a new health centre, which will provide medical facilities to existing local communities and the residents of the Village after 2012.

The accommodation will range from one bedroom apartments up to four- and five-bedroom townhouses. Temporary partitions needed during the Games will be removed to form the final living spaces and bedrooms. Kitchens will be installed, along with new carpets or timber floors.

http://www.london2012.com/venue/olympic-village/

Hey, that kid has clothes and shoes. As slums go, you gotta pick your battles.

I have friends that went to Rio. A kid threw dog poop on one of their shoes. After he refused to pay the kid to clean it off, hoodlums appeared out of nowhere with pipes. They had to run for their lives.

I have friends that went. A kid threw dog poop on one of their shoes. After he refused to pay the kid to clean it off, hoodlums appeared out of nowhere with pipes. They had to run for their lives.

As a tourist, I've only ever been menaced by violent criminal activity once, in pre-Ike Galveston late at night in a bad part of town by someone that lacked a firm grasp of reality and that kept crying out about all the devils that are around. But that's par for the course in Galveston. I get that, how it would happen.

The London Dog Poop Mafia...I don't get that. It must be an English thing.

God Bless America.

As a tourist, I've only ever been menaced by violent criminal activity once, in pre-Ike Galveston late at night in a bad part of town by someone that lacked a firm grasp of reality and that kept crying out about all the devils that are around. But that's par for the course in Galveston. I get that, how it would happen.

The London Dog Poop Mafia...I don't get that. It must be an English thing.

God Bless America.

Nope, it was Rio dog poop.

Was the Galveston thing that boy that thought he was a vampire?

Nope, it was Rio dog poop.

Was the Galveston thing that boy that thought he was a vampire?

Oh, well all the same. The Rio Dog Poop Mafia should form a band that does covers of Frank Zappa's sarcastic songs.

The Galveston guy was an elderly black man with a switchblade knife that was having psychotic episode. Whatever he was intending to do, I think that he meant well.

high population cities in 3rd world countries are always sketchy, and usually very exciting places to visit.

my experience in this realm delves only into Manila in the Philippines, I'd go back, but I couldn't imagine a place like that hosting the Olympics.

Would yall rather have a gold medal or hold a world record?

Gold medal and/or Olympic Record. The thing about world records is that they're sometimes deceptive. Using swimming as an example, world records can be held for an attempt that used a speed suit while the Olympics has stricter requirements about the type of suits you can wear. When an Olympian misses a WR, you can always say to yourself, "Yes, but he wasn't wearing a speed suit."

http://www.examiner.com/article/london-olympics-2012-swimming-speed-suits-out-track-speed-suits-in

Gold medal and/or Olympic Record. The thing about world records is that they're sometimes deceptive. Using swimming as an example, world records can be held for an attempt that used a speed suit while the Olympics has stricter requirements about the type of suits you can wear. When an Olympian misses a WR, you can always say to yourself, "Yes, but he wasn't wearing a speed suit."

http://www.examiner....-speed-suits-in

Swimming is the obvious exception. How many other WR's are deceptive though?

I'd take the bling. Records are continuously broken.

True, good point. But I think I might lean towards a world record. I may not have the bling but to say that at one point in time I was the best/fastest at something in the world, I think is pretty cool. Of course, someone can "take that away" from you by breaking it and they can never take away the medal. But still. Tough choice.

I was about to say the same basic thing.

I'd take the bling, even though the gold is only worth $650, the silver, $335 and bronze $5. Plus you have to pay taxes on your "Prize". That's BS!

The last time solid gold medals were handed out was Stockholm in 1912.

since they're letting that guy without legs compete in track and field events, I think that will be deceptive as well, he's going to have the same competitive advantage as the people using the special swimsuits had previously.

having the medal and having the WR are pretty much the same thing, imo (if you leave the money on the side, which a true athlete does, since all they care about is the competition and being the best, that's their real drive).

Personally, I have competed in sports (if you want to call them that) that are far less known than even some of the Olympic sports (10 meter air rifle for example), and have been a champion, as well as holding records. Records get broken, new champions are crowned, you either stay competitive and break your own records and maintain being a champion yourself, or relegate yourself to the history books (or if you are in such obscure sports as I have competed in, you relegate yourself to the memories of those you competed against).

I'd take the bling. Records are continuously broken.

Agreed. Plus the Olympics is a bigger audience by far than most other sporting competitions for the smaller sports. If you are looking to cash in on endorsements etc - the Olympics is where you need to be.

How many people watch Olympic swimming vs. the 2011 World Championships or some other match where a world record is broken?

The river that runs through London is as brown as our bayou water. I know the Buffalo Bayou Partnership already knows they are assets, I hope developers are taking notice too.

Yes, but theirs has cache. Mostly because it is the River Thames, as opposed to the Thames River. Note that no one has even heard of the Thames River, which is in Connecticut. In order to give cache to the Buffalo Bayou, I propose we begin calling it the Bayou Buffalo.

Wow I love love love London. It's really a great city with so much to see and do. I kinda hope the Olympians have a chance to get out when they're done competing. I was there for a mere 2 days last year, but if I ever go back I want to spend a whole week just in London.

Just watched the interview with Aly Raisman, I think she is a robot. I've never heard anyone who speaks with less emotion in their voice. It's not a big deal, good for Google for making a robot capable of winning gold in the Olympics, now work on making it sound more human.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived