2012 (should have been Houston) London Olympics

RedScare

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just amazed at the stuff that came from there. Sure, everyone remembers the 60s and 70s rock icons, but then the punk, dancehall, ska, hip hop, and disco/club music had me in awe.

The Queen parachuting into the stadium gets 2 thumbs up, too.

No wonder we didn't win the bid. Using renovated facilities and TSU and UH for the village??? I could be wrong, but it seems like China and London had all new facilities and the villages are/ were probably in less dangerous areas.

Reliant is great for football, but I can't see an opening ceremony taking place there.

No wonder we didn't win the bid. Using renovated facilities and TSU and UH for the village??? I could be wrong, but it seems like China and London had all new facilities and the villages are/ were probably in less dangerous areas.

Reliant is great for football, but I can't see an opening ceremony taking place there.

I guess you didn't watch the opening ceremony. If you had, you would have heard countless references to how the Olympic stadium and village were built in a ratty, rundown section of London.

Third Ward qualifies as dangerous? It's not College Station, but it's not the south side of Chicago, either.

Red, I missed it. That really surprises me though.

JLWN, I would agree with you in its placement of "dangerous." But I still thought they'd want them to be a "less" dangerous place. But as Red points out, I"m wrong. That's what I get for thinkin.

And maybe Londom, Beijing and Athens all used renovated facilities too? But from the pictures and architecture it just doesn't look like it. Would loved to be shown wrong in that aspect too, bc that would mean Houston's bid wasn't so underwelming.

I guess you didn't watch the opening ceremony. If you had, you would have heard countless references to how the Olympic stadium and village were built in a ratty, rundown section of London.

So in 16 days there's going to be some shiny buildings in a ratty, rundown section of London?

Houston's bid was underwhelming, the older I get, the less I want the Olympics to be held in Houston. So I'm glad it was underwhelming.

I see the male swimmers are not wearing the full body suits anymore. Did they deem them illegal? No speedos either, which is fine by me.

Yep. The full-body suits on males were ruled illegal in 2009. Just read an article in Popular Mechanics about the tech used in the Olympics. They also made them change the material in the body suits. So the companies responded by redesigning the swimmers goggles and head coverings to reduce drag.

Here's the link:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/technology/olympic-science-the-gear-of-the-2012-games-9989520?click=pp

Some parts of the opening ceremony were very cool. I really liked the demonstration of the transition from an agrarian society to the Industrial Revolution, and the forging of the rings. Other parts I thought were kind of lame, like the relationship in the digital age, or whatever it was.

It's obvious now that China has set the standard. I don't think 2008's opening ceremony will be topped for decades.

I'm really glad Houston didn't get the Olympics. From what I've seen, I don't like what they do to cities. Poor Vancouver.

How many billions of dollars are spent building the structures that are used for their intended purpose for only 16 days?

Give me light rail, the big dig, and other great projects to spend the money.

It was faked.

In general, entertainment is better when it's not meant for everybody. It should be made for me and people like me. Otherwise, it is objectively wrong.

Really? Are you sure about that? It looked like the same dress. I think you just don't want to believe it could have been true. Why would they fake something like that in front of millions of viewers?

Olympic cities end up with facilities that have to be maintained, renovated, or wasted after the Olympics leave. China's Water Cube ended up as an indoor waterpark. That might make sense in a country where the State has so much control over the economy, but doesn't make sense here. COH operating a waterpark? Weird.

Rio? Barf. Rio is the nastiest city on earth. The slums there make the 4th ward look like River Oaks. Something about the use of the word 'ugh' is very telling about one's taste in cities and pre-qualifications to judge nastiness and international-ness. If they ever have an olympics in Texas, it will certainly be in Houston.

slums.jpg

rio.jpg

Really? Are you sure about that? It looked like the same dress. I think you just don't want to believe it could have been true. Why would they fake something like that in front of millions of viewers?

Now that was an entertaining response. Thank you.

Archived