Interfaith Ministries For Greater Houston At 3303 Main St.

TGM

Quite the contrary, Kyle. As a taxpaying, productive member of society my hard earned dollars went towards that sidewalk. The non-taxpaying (likely tax leeching) homeless person can make no such claim of contribution or productivity.

I can tolerate homeless wandering around if they don't utter a word to me other than "hello" and mind their own business, don't urinate on the sidewalk (as I watch most of them do), and don't give people a hard time. But considering the fact that there is only one "regular" bum I see who minds his own business every time I see him, I believe that type to be the exception and not the rule. Most do beg for money and some hassle you for it, most do urinate and defecate on the public infrastructure you say we all have no claim to, most are just drunken trouble makers. As harsh as it may sound that's the cold hard reality of it, these people are leeches and contribute nothing positive to society. Forgive me for not shedding a tear for them.

Asking for money is an exercise of free speech. If you're talking about harassment or violence, we have statutes to cover those, and people should report offenses to the police.

Edited by kylejack

Asking for money is an exercise of free speech. If you're talking about harassment or violence, we have statutes to cover those, and people should report offenses to the police.

Asking for money certainly is free speech, pestering me for money when I'm just trying to enjoy a night out is an annoyance and disgraceful. Especially after I've already answered and made it abundantly clear that I won't be catering to their demand.

As for the militant type bums, HPD couldn't care less, and quite frankly it isn't the police's job to deal with that all the time. My 90lb Chow-Chow almost got a mouthful of the last bum who took a swing at me, HPD certainly wasn't there to protect me.

Point is if people would quite giving these assholes a dollar every time they ask then maybe they'll find somewhere else to panhandle. Some for the charities, if the charities weren't in this area they'd go somewhere else. I've got no issue with the charities at Gray/59 as long as they keep the area in good shape. But anyone saying the "like having bums around" is either lying or a bum themselves.

• Like 1

As is criticizing vagrants and the sham operations that enable them.

• Like 1

As is criticizing vagrants and the sham operations that enable them.

Sure is!

Always love the vagrants that hang out by the entrance to CVS. On my way in the always ask me if I can get them some change while I'm in there to which I reply, "Do you have any for me?" They generally have no answer.

Except for the one who went after my fiancee then claimed I wasn't a "real man" because I wouldn't give him the $3 in change she had in her hand. Apparently working and earning a living is no longer being a "real man" in the progressive, vagrant friendly society we have today . . .

You are not supposed to give them money. Also, I believe there is an ordinance that prohibits them from pursuing (asking more than once). If this happens, report it.

I noticed a sign on a poll outside Frank's Pizza window yesterday. I wish I'd have taken a picture. It's pretty blunt and to the point about no begging, etc.

Jos. A Bank in the Park Shops has a sign on their door that says, "We Have No Change, No Phone, No Restroom". Thought it was pretty funny.

I hate the bums in midtown that 'help' you park your car, regardless of how easy it is to fit in a spot, then ask for money to 'protect' it. What a joke.

Impose? Suggest is more accurate.

Their lack of property ownership, does not entitle them to de facto "ownership" of a sidewalk.

I'm thrilled search has housing arrangements, maybe they can be courteous neighbors and place their patrons in one.

In Katy.

I hate the bums in midtown that 'help' you park your car, regardless of how easy it is to fit in a spot, then ask for money to 'protect' it. What a joke.

Yeah they're the worst, it's funny because I just breeze past them on the way to my own home, yet they still want to "help" me park. Idiots . . .

Of course for those coming from outside midtown, what are you to do? You don't give the guy a couple bucks and he points out your car as the one to break into? Lots of broken glass along Pierce/Victor behind Front Porch/Komodo.

you guys must be unlucky, or I must be really lucky. I have lived around midtown for the last 8 years, I walk everywhere. No one has ever taken a swing at me, asked me for money more then a few times before getting the picture, or threatened me in any way. The most annoying is when they start with the stories to get money for the bus, but again they always give up in less than a minute. I deal.

I used to go to the old Sammy's (Main and Pierce) and get the 'help you park' every time i drove. I never paid, and though there is a chance of getting broken in to there I doubt there is a correlation between these homeless guys and the people breaking in. Yeah, they may have some big scam going, then there's nothing you can do. But if someone is going to break in to your car i doubt the guy you either gave $2 to or not is going to prevent it or point out your car. The thieves will go for the ones they know how to get in to, can easily move components, or see stuff just laying out visible asking to be taken.

the only thing I have every given homeless people are my leftovers or bottles of water in the heat. And apparently that's illegal now?

anyways, I like living in an urban environment. that's what most of the people on here and the ones that move to midtown are looking for to some extent. With that comes problems. If you want to close all the charities and move them to the suburbs, good luck. But I bet the homeless will still be out in midtown, and the numbers will vary due to other factors, not the charities. They'll just be a few blocks over.

Edited by skwatra
  • Like 4

you guys must be unlucky, or I must be really lucky. I have lived around midtown for the last 8 years, I walk everywhere. No one has ever taken a swing at me, asked me for money more then a few times before getting the picture, or threatened me in any way. The most annoying is when they start with the stories to get money for the bus, but again they always give up in less than a minute. I deal.

Yeah you must be, haha. I still love midtown, it just gets annoying. I walk a lot and even when at home I can't get away from it, I had a bum ring my doorbell and ask for money because he saw me through the window. It just gets frustrating, I don't do bothering them asking for shit, wish they'd extend the same courtesy.

Oddly enough, I did always wonder why some of the black bums never seemed to ask other black people for money. I did get my answer one day at CVS. Whereas most of us just give a quick "no I don't have anything" and carry on, I saw a bum approach a really well built black guy and ask for money. I heard some pretty thundering yelling and cussing, I guess that's why they don't ask hahaha. Just need to be forceful enough.

Oddly enough, I did always wonder why some of the black bums never seemed to ask other black people for money. I did get my answer one day at CVS. Whereas most of us just give a quick "no I don't have anything" and carry on, I saw a bum approach a really well built black guy and ask for money. I heard some pretty thundering yelling and cussing, I guess that's why they don't ask hahaha. Just need to be forceful enough.

Probably because they assume that white people have a greater chance of having "white guilt" than black people.

Of course this is asinine statement, but then again so is the concept of white guilt. The term is actually pretty darn racist because it categorizes success by race and implies that race, not hard work is the most important factor. When someone plays the white guilt angle you should feel angry not guilty as whether you know it or not you are essentially being asked to take on the role of "white master" in this modern kabuki dance for your change. Channel this anger into a statement that confronts the game. Tell them that you respect them as a human being, which is why you cannot give them money when they disrespect themselves by playing on old stereotypes. Or you could just yell at them like the well built black guy above..

Your more likely to give money to someone of the same race as yourself than someone of a different race.

I'm more than likely to give money to nobody, no matter their color.

Race doesn't matter to me, I'm not reinforcing someone's poor choices in life simply because he or she happens to be the same color as me.

Me too. I've worked in downtown since 1996, been all over downtown and midtown. I am as white as one can get, have never had a bum yell at me or even remotely try to get violent. Heard all the stories, have counseled a few to keep it short and sweet, rarely give them money, and never have problems.

I have often wondered what it is that some people do to get so much trouble from the same bums that never give me or my friends an ounce of trouble.

• Like 3

I wonder how many folks on this thread consider themselves to be good Christians?

Apparently being a good Christian today means belittling the less fortunate, lacking compassions for others, and eating bland chicken sandwiches...

No, I think everyone on here is a good Muslim, and I believe you have just offended the prophet.

• Like 1