Interfaith Ministries For Greater Houston At 3303 Main St.

TGM

Correct. We moved here. My point is that there is no reason the neighborhood cannot... should not change. Numerous neighborhoods in countless cities have undergone transformations. Some for the worse and some for the better. Why can we not change this area for the better? For what reason should we let this sort of irresponsible citizenry (Interfaith Ministries) continue? Sure, they have every right to set up shop anywhere they can purchase the land and we have every incentive to get them out of our neighborhood.

There is no reason midtown should continue to be a prime radiant for the homeless or their supporting cast (IM). We simply want them out. People babble on and on about how charities should locate to where their is a central core of public transportation. I say nonsense. It's not like the homeless have the funds to simply get on the bus. And besides. Where the heck would they go to? The mall? Please. The bottom line is that nobody wants them here. Period.

Honestly I think a good portion of the problem is that HPD pales in comparison to Austin, Dallas, Phoenix, etc PD. There are issues, some serious in Austin, but I have never experienced the "why are you wasting my time with this" attitude the I get from HPD. We do have some good officers in Houston, and when I do find them and talk to them I find that they are usually working towards a different career. (law school is usually what I hear the most)

The other problem is that spineless leaders have been so bullied by homeless groups that they're afraid to act. So these leaders sit stunned and try to convince everyone that not asking the homeless to leave is the same as being compassionate. Now if you happen to object and suggest the homeless move elsewhere they say "well you oppose having your taxes raised to house them" Damn straight I oppose it! I don't go to work to pay for someone else's home. "But they just need to get back on their feet" Yeah, and the first thing they do when back on their feet is look for a place to sit.

• Like 2

To be a bit more clear. My orginal post main point is that Social Work Alley is on the East side of the light rail. Yes, midtown has changed over the years in great ways. It just seems that the west side is getting all the love (Glorias, Alamo Draft Theatres, and a new greek place just to name a few) and the east side gets more social services and that simply just SUCKS! WITH the exception of Mongoose Vs. Cobra as of recent. Clearly, i'm on the wrong side of the tracks.LOL. I'm not at all aware of what is in the pipeline for the East side of midtown besides IM (which feels more like Midtown is going in the wrong direction) and Camden Atps, and some other apts to be built off Webster. Hope any project adds even a small amount of glamour.

I never argued about where to put any charities. I do know that one of the prevailing themes of HAIF is that Houston should become a more walkable city, and that's why Midtown is so wonderful and all, with the rail and all it's new developments is because it's one of the more walkable hoods in Houston. Maybe that's one reason it's so "sticky" for the homeless. Seeing as it was mentioned above that they can't even afford mass transit - maybe they need a walkable neighborhood also. So by creating the desired perfect neighborhood for yourself - your also creating the perfect environment for them.

It was mentioned shipping them out to Katy or somewhere - but it's pretty much universally agreed on here that the burbs are not especially walkable - I think they would end up eventually migrating back to your lovely pedestrian friendly area. Y'all have just made it too darn attractive for them.

In all seriousness - I think the charities and accompanying homeless will over time be driven out as the $$ continue to come in.

Honestly I think a good portion of the problem is that HPD pales in comparison to Austin, Dallas, Phoenix, etc PD. There are issues, some serious in Austin, but I have never experienced the "why are you wasting my time with this" attitude the I get from HPD. We do have some good officers in Houston, and when I do find them and talk to them I find that they are usually working towards a different career. (law school is usually what I hear the most)

The other problem is that spineless leaders have been so bullied by homeless groups that they're afraid to act. So these leaders sit stunned and try to convince everyone that not asking the homeless to leave is the same as being compassionate. Now if you happen to object and suggest the homeless move elsewhere they say "well you oppose having your taxes raised to house them" Damn straight I oppose it! I don't go to work to pay for someone else's home. "But they just need to get back on their feet" Yeah, and the first thing they do when back on their feet is look for a place to sit.

But, but, but - isn't HPD the department that throws Hispanics into bayous? And arrests mouthy sign-holders for no reason? You're telling me they're afraid of a couple of homeless groups?

• Like 1

But, but, but - isn't HPD the department that throws Hispanics into bayous? And arrests mouthy sign-holders for no reason? You're telling me they're afraid of a couple of homeless groups?

Like any other job in the world when your boss has weak knees you know he or she may not always have your back depending on the issue and resulting media attention.

Because of law enforcement apathy, pressure from homeless groups, and Houstons economy, we have become a sanctuary city for the homeless.

Is this based upon real numbers or just observation of the Midtown neighborhood?

Because of the downturn in the economy in the last few years, homelessness has gone up nationwide. That doesn't equate to Houston being a santuary city for the homeless.

If you want to see what a real homeless sanctuary city looks like - go to San Diego. Downtown, Gas Lamp District, whole place is full of homeless. Every corner has someone sleeping and you will trip over them if you are not paying attention. The reason is the climate. They will never freeze there.

Is this based upon real numbers or just observation of the Midtown neighborhood?

Because of the downturn in the economy in the last few years, homelessness has gone up nationwide. That doesn't equate to Houston being a santuary city for the homeless.

Houston has had a net positive influx from other cities and it is growing faster based on the poor economy. The personal observation is the number of cars with out of state plates parked outside of places like Pacesetters, and the various bunkhouses in Midtown.

If you want to see what a real homeless sanctuary city looks like - go to San Diego.

The reason is the climate. They will never freeze there.

Same here. No one is going to freeze in this city. If the forecast even gets close to 32F you know it's going to be the Channel 2 BIG STORY featuring the usual shots of blanket loading, command centers, sand checks, and over the top pleas to stay off the freeways!

The bank would remain there for a year or the homeless would remain there for a year?

I belive the correct term in a high-density environment like Midtown is: "Townhomeless"

"Midriseless" is also appropriate.

Downtown prefers the term "Loftless" to call attention to its historic buildings.

In Upper Kirby and the Galleria the term is "Highriseless", "Condoless", or "Penthouseless"

In the HAHC controlled sections of the Heights, you must first present your idea of what you feel your home should look like before you can call yourself homeless.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone from IM reads these forums...it would be nice to find out what they are feeling? Especially, seeing how much IM is not wanted in midtown. I think what is not wanted are more vagrants out-and-about. Perhaps if its really just a corp office and the plans are NOT to have lines of people waiting for food or appointments then it really wouldn't cause a fuss. But if they are then I can understand why its not welcomed with open arms.

I wonder if anyone from IM reads these forums...it would be nice to find out what they are feeling? Especially, seeing how much IM is not wanted in midtown.

Most don't really care how the surrounding communities feel about their operations. Those that do engage do so only for the purpose of identifying the key "trouble makers". Any sort of compromise will consist of "we'll take it under advisement", "we'll look into it", or a volunteer commitment to the community they have no plans on keeping. Cloudbreak had promised Midtown 80 hours of volunteer work a month from its residents at the Days Inn. I guess they must count all the panhandling that occurs outside their location as part of that 80 hours.

• Like 1

This is one of my points. IM and their ilk do not care about the community in which they insert themselves. The people who work there come from Katy and other far flung places to midtown only to wreak havoc.

Yup, they come in, do "G_d's work" then leave. What cracks me up is that all of these groups are so focused on hunger, when it's conflict resolution skills/needs that really need to be taught/met.

That being said, even though I lived near the squalor I was opposed to the city feeding ordinance. While I hated to see the trash and the clueless volunteers contributing to it I was opposed to giving the city the power to further regulate who can and who cannot feed the "homeless". The city has existing laws they choose not to enforce. Make do with those before you ask for even more power.

Just to add to this dialogue. My townhome near Bremond and Helena was broken onto over the weekend while my girlfriend and I were sleeping. They took a bunch of stuff but thankfully we are ok. I have an alarm system but it wasn't turned on. My girlfriend's car has been broken into twice over the past two years as well.

Just to add to this dialogue. My townhome near Bremond and Helena was broken onto over the weekend while my girlfriend and I were sleeping. They took a bunch of stuff but thankfully we are ok. I have an alarm system but it wasn't turned on. My girlfriend's car has been broken into twice over the past two years as well.

Wow, that's one of the nicer sections of midtown. Surprising.

I have a friend who works for IM, I was speaking to her about this when it came up in another midtown thread:

http://www.houstonar...ts/page__st__30

I had stated there that this is not a soup kitchen, and it was pointed out in the article linked in this thread as well. They provide food to home bound seniors. There will be no handouts at their site. The only people that come on site are refugees that are scheduled to come for assistance, but the State Department, by appointment.

I didn't realize that the few people here that are worried represented midtown as a whole, and midtown would rather have an empty building and lot over IM.

Edited by skwatra

...The only people that come on site are refugees that are scheduled to come for assistance, but the State Department, be appointment.

Huh?

I didn't realize that the few people here that are worried represented midtown as a whole, and midtown would rather have an empty building and lot over IM.

Yes. Just ask any sane and reasonable person who actually lives in midtown and not some do-gooder from the distant suburbs.

LTAWACS, you'll need to be more specific with your question. Though i realized i had a typo, it should have said "by appointment". Original post corrected.

And I consider myself sane and reasonable, and live in midtown.

Edited by skwatra

LTAWACS, you'll need to be more specific with your question. Though i realized i had a typo, it should have said "by appointment". Original post corrected.

And I consider myself sane and reasonable, and live in midtown.

Ah... I too find myself living there for the time being. I must say however, that I'm fairly certain that you are in the minority wrt this issue (IM and other charities setting up shop in midtown).

We should not have to deal with the rampant crime, nauseating odors, seeing our landscape peppered with litter, or feel threatened by the vagrants that exactly this sort of establishment attracts – no that word is not strong enough – encourages to come to midtown. We don’t want them here. They should leave. Period.

Remember I'm only talking about IM here, not the other charities (though I don't have a problem with them either in theory, but I haven't done much research on them). IM is moving exactly 1 mile. They don't encourage vagrants, they are upgrading one building, adding conference space, and building another building.

I suggest you take your fight up with the Greyhound station. The vagrants have been here long before IM, and when you live in an urban district it is something you have to deal with.

I suggest you take your fight up with the Greyhound station. The vagrants have been here long before IM, and when you live in an urban district it is something you have to deal with.

The relocation of Greyhound would be a major win, we tried for a decade with many promises and false hopes. I came to the realization that no matter what we did, at best all we could do is wait it out or move out.

The Greyhound station receives a weekly dump of parolees from Huntsville thanks to an agreement with TDC and the city of Huntsville. No matter where you are ultimately headed, Houston is your first destination. We have always wondered if there was another agreement that made Houston the first stop. Ironically Greyhound's parent company is based out of Dallas. (I believe this has been mentioned before on this board)

For those wanting to take up this fight, I would recommend asking your representatives why Houston is forced to receive these criminals, I'm sorry, rehabilitated persons.... first?

Even with Greyhound gone you still have to contend with the neighbor bad stewards such as Search, Lord of the Streets, Cloudbreak, the Center, etc, etc.