Interfaith Ministries For Greater Houston At 3303 Main St.

TGM

I would be curious what percentage of property in Midtown is exempt from taxation given the ever increasing number of charities and non-profits that are drawn to the area. Actually I'm not all that curious, I saw the writing on the wall when multiple charities and agencies made plans to move or expand their presense in Midtown and decided it was the time to cash in and leave. Many of these agencies do good work for those willing to change their lives, I just think that Midtown has crossed the tipping point as more see Midtown as the de facto zone.

Good thing that we have a Board governing the Midtown TIRZ that brags about buying and holding cheap housing for indigents and promoting homeless shelters/charities.

It must be part of their diverse neighbor initiatives, because a neighborhood without disorder is a boring neighborhood.

Good thing that we have a Board governing the Midtown TIRZ that brags about buying and holding cheap housing for indigents and promoting homeless shelters/charities.

Midtown does not do this. First, they are required by law to provide cheap housing as part of being setup as the Midtown TIRZ. They HAVE to spend a certain % of their money on this as a requirement by law. They buy land on the other side of 288 for this purpose because it's cheaper and not in the district. The land they own in Midtown is to promote development in the district and increase tax revenues (i.e. the Superblock park coming soon). Trust me... they are not happy with losing tax revenue on properties to non profits. Problem is that they are powerless to do anything because Houston has no zoning. Any non profit is free to buy whatever expensive piece of property they want.

Midtown is also upset with this because they hire extra police to patrol the neighborhood. The Constables are one of the biggest chunks of the budget. Problem is that the increased non-profit presence requires more Constable and HPD patrols, yet the non-profits are not paying taxes to support those extra patrols. That's why I said earlier in another thread that non-profits like the San Jose Clinic are fine when they maintain their property and have the place secure. The problem is when they allow loitering and do nothing to be a good neighbor by tolerating loitering, trash, drug dealing, etc.

• Like 1

I feel bad for those who bought property near there. It's kind if sad that Midtown is the only pedestrian friendly urban neighborhood but is also the most most homeless friendly neighborhood.

It's a bit of an unfortunate coincidence of location and popularity. Midtown generally has more people and activity than downtown and is closest to most of the homeless population. The homeless know where to pandhandle and steal . . . where the people and the money are. Midtown's a shorter stumble than Montrose/Washington/Upper Kirby/etc. so that's why we have to deal with it. Is what it is, unfortunately.

Midtown does not do this. First, they are required by law to provide cheap housing as part of being setup as the Midtown TIRZ. They HAVE to spend a certain % of their money on this as a requirement by law. They buy land on the other side of 288 for this purpose because it's cheaper and not in the district. The land they own in Midtown is to promote development in the district and increase tax revenues (i.e. the Superblock park coming soon). Trust me... they are not happy with losing tax revenue on properties to non profits. Problem is that they are powerless to do anything because Houston has no zoning. Any non profit is free to buy whatever expensive piece of property they want.

Midtown is also upset with this because they hire extra police to patrol the neighborhood. The Constables are one of the biggest chunks of the budget. Problem is that the increased non-profit presence requires more Constable and HPD patrols, yet the non-profits are not paying taxes to support those extra patrols. That's why I said earlier in another thread that non-profits like the San Jose Clinic are fine when they maintain their property and have the place secure. The problem is when they allow loitering and do nothing to be a good neighbor by tolerating loitering, trash, drug dealing, etc.

Exactly. This is why I keep saying they should move the charities out to Katy, Woodlands, Sugarland, etc. We do not want them here. Perhaps if we all simply stopped giving to charities... they will pack up and leave.

The question is, why would they buy expensive land in Midtown when they can buy cheaper land elsewhere? I think the answer is, the light rail. Every time I've used the light rail downtown, it's nothing more than a transportation system for vagrants who don't pay. There are very few professionals who ride it from midtown to downtown. The light rail is also right next to the Greyhound Station. Because of this, the area around Main will always be dangerous and loaded with vagrants.

It's a free market. Outbid the charities and buy the land and put up more cheesy townhomes.

What's really funny is about 20 years ago, the only people in Midtown were the homeless and the charities who took care of them. It was an unwanted wasteland that everybody quickly drove through to get to downtown. But then it became cool and hip and now the people that were living there (the homeless) are a problem.

• Like 1

It's a free market. Outbid the charities and buy the land and put up more cheesy townhomes.

What's really funny is about 20 years ago, the only people in Midtown were the homeless and the charities who took care of them. It was an unwanted wasteland that everybody quickly drove through to get to downtown. But then it became cool and hip and now the people that were living there (the homeless) are a problem.

They were always a problem. The thing is, now they are "in your face" and tend to get in the way. Relocate.

After reading the article, I think we should all calm down. From this distribution center, Meals on Wheels will deliver meals to home bound needy people. It's not like they will be passing out food to bums walking around on the street. Also, the building looks nice and will improve the aesthetics of the block.

I feel bad for those who bought property near there. It's kind if sad that Midtown is the only pedestrian friendly urban neighborhood but is also the most most homeless friendly neighborhood.

Well, since homeless are so often pedestrians, it actually makes perfect sense.

The question is, why would they buy expensive land in Midtown when they can buy cheaper land elsewhere? I think the answer is, the light rail. Every time I've used the light rail downtown, it's nothing more than a transportation system for vagrants who don't pay. There are very few professionals who ride it from midtown to downtown. The light rail is also right next to the Greyhound Station. Because of this, the area around Main will always be dangerous and loaded with vagrants.

As an almost daily user of the light rail for the past several years, I can tell you it absolutely isn't true. Vagrants not paying may exist, but they are not even close to the majority (much less the sole users of the system, as you allege). You might see one or two per ride, while the others are people going to work, the hospital, Rice University, or the park and ride.

You're right about one thing, though: Homeless charities understand that their best place to locate to help the homeless is where all the transit systems that they might use meet: Rail, city buses (Downtown Transit Center), outbound buses to other cities, and international buses.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 2

After reading the article, I think we should all calm down. From this distribution center, Meals on Wheels will deliver meals to home bound needy people. It's not like they will be passing out food to bums walking around on the street. Also, the building looks nice and will improve the aesthetics of the block.

I agree, also are their corporate offices in Montrose currently home to bums walking all over the place or is it simply just that, corporate offices?

I don't know the answer and I am curious, if anyone lives by the current IM offices let us know what you think.

Edited by DrLan34

When the "always behind on their taxes" organization known as Cloudbreak was attempting to convert the old Days Inn property on Main to an SRO for homeless vets only (at the time) local community members contacted Metro as this was across from their Wheeler station. Metro passed on weighing in on it. It turns out that one of the people behind the Houston end of the project was married to the then Metro CEO's daughter and had skin in the game to put it lightly. This same person is now running for the Harris County Constable Precinct 1 seat. This person is Alan Rosen.

IM in Montrose has vagrants and drug heads all around it. This could also be because of the halfway houses near IM. Most folks with homes in the area will tell you they want IM and the halfway houses out for this reason (in fact people with homes fairly far away from IM still want them gone because the nomads will roam to steal).

• Like 1

IM in Montrose has vagrants and drug heads all around it. This could also be because of the halfway houses near IM. Most folks with homes in the area will tell you they want IM and the halfway houses out for this reason (in fact people with homes fairly far away from IM still want them gone because the nomads will roam to steal).

great... i'm hoping it's because of the halfway houses...

I call Midtown "Social Work Alley" ( from 1-45 to museum district along San Jac, Fannin, Main and Caroline)...pretty much anything East of light rail is SOCIAL WORK ALLEY...fantastic bars...but the male prostitutes ruin the area! No people, they are not just walking or waiting for the bus...make eye contact and they will show you their junk. Great house, great neighbors, great location. But you do get tired of the vagrants real fast....daily i question if I made a mistake about buying in the area....I don't know anything about IM but i hope its not another place where vagrants hang out like lord of the streets, greyhound, pace setters, search, baldwin park...etc

I call Midtown "Social Work Alley" ( from 1-45 to museum district along San Jac, Fannin, Main and Caroline)...pretty much anything East of light rail is SOCIAL WORK ALLEY...fantastic bars...but the male prostitutes ruin the area! No people, they are not just walking or waiting for the bus...make eye contact and they will show you their junk. Great house, great neighbors, great location. But you do get tired of the vagrants real fast....daily i question if I made a mistake about buying in the area....I don't know anything about IM but i hope its not another place where vagrants hang out like lord of the streets, greyhound, pace setters, search, baldwin park...etc

Good luck. IM is yet another place where vagrants are going to hang out like lord of the streets. As I mentioned in another thread around here... it boggles my mind when people donate to these charities.

Pretty much the reason I left. I purchased in 2000, and I figure I must have made at least one call per day to HPD, Precinct 5, or Metro PD for the next 12 years. Adjusting for vacation and a few severe weather days that's over 4000 calls for the aforementioned issues and they (MMD, Tirz, CoH) continue to keep their heads in the sand about this. But don't ever complain to the MMD, they don't really want to hear it, much too busy building parks the homeless will enjoy.

I agree with above about the parks. The Superblock park looks like homeless paradise. I doubt there are going to be families with their kids dipping their toes in those miniature pools like they show in the pictures. A homeless guy passed out with a 40 in a paper bag is a more realistic vision.

• Like 1

How are they going to relocate when that is where they are from?

They are NOT from midtown. They weren't born there. They likely werent raised there. That's just where they hang out. All day. Drinking and smoking and harrassing others and panhandling and urinating on peoples' lawns and breaking into vehicles and stealing trees and puking on the sidewalk and being an eyesore. I'm sure most of the residents there wish they would just get lost. For good.

If they walk around all day looking for mischief.... why can they not just keep walking? Preferably west.

They are NOT from midtown. They weren't born there. They likely werent raised there. That's just where they hang out. All day. Drinking and smoking and harrassing others and panhandling and urinating on peoples' lawns and breaking into vehicles and stealing trees and puking on the sidewalk and being an eyesore. I'm sure most of the residents there wish they would just get lost. For good.

If they walk around all day looking for mischief.... why can they not just keep walking? Preferably west.

Were you born in midtown? Were you raised in midtown?

They were there in the 70's-early 90's when the place was dead and nobody wanted anything to do with it. Old abandoned (very cool-looking) houses. Broken streets. No cute train. Only thing around there was the Sears store, a Fiesta which I used to shop at when I went to college and fire-sale stores.

Why do you think large parts of midtown in the 70's became Little Vietnam? Because it was cheap real estate and nobody cared when the Vietnamese refugees bought it. They could afford it, and stick together and be generally left alone. Everybody was happy because nobody else wanted the property back then (except the bums). It wasn't until much later that people figured out that the Vietnamese could cook pretty good and it became a cool to go get your bacon-flavored pho.

Oops. Wrong thread. :P

• Like 1