Meyerland Plaza: Shopping Center At 4700 Beechnut St.

VicMan

Houston Public Library Children's Book Sale

Date: September 9-10, 2005

HISD Doris Miller Center, 5216 Feagan (near Memorial Drive and

Shepherd), Houston

Annual Sale of Children's Books

Friday, September 9, 2005

11am - 6pm

Saturday, Saturday 10, 2005

10am - 4pm

This years annual sale will feature the same excellent selection of

Childrens Booksabout 9,000that Houston parents and educators come

for. Most books are $1 - $2, but prices start at 50 cents! The selection

includes picture books and readers, books in Spanish, Caldecott and

Newbery books, encyclopedia sets, and history and science project books.

Cashiers accept checks and cash, no credit cards please. Educators,

bring your tax-exempt ID.

www.hpl.lib.tx.us/hpl/ <http://www.hpl.lib.tx.us/hpl/>

http://www.friendsofhpl.org/childrens_sale_2005.pdf

www.friendsofhpl.org/sales.html <http://www.friendsofhpl.org/sales.html>

The Meyerland Borders closed? Must have happened quickly and very recently. When I was over there Labor Day Weekend it was open and there were no signs it was shutting its doors soon.

I typically shop at the Borders on Kirby though. I think it's a lot nicer. And sometimes I do Half Price Books, but my main complaint with them is that it's hit or miss. They may have what you want, and they may not. That's just the nature of any business that focuses on second-hand and closeout merchandise.

I do wish Houston had a large independent bookseller like Austin's Book People or Denver's Tattered Cover.

I found out they aren't closed but must be leasing half their store to another company. Because I saw people walk in and out of there...but yet there is a big "FOR LEASE" sign on the side of the building. Weird!

The closet book store to me is Barnes and Nobles and Half Price.

However, Half Price is used books and don't carry some newer books I'd like to own that a bigger bookstore might have.

I don't live near Meyerland but I go there alot. (With Target there, perhaps the books are cheaper then Borders) -or some of the books (as well as music)

Maybe the rent is costly and Borders needs another company to help with the cost of leasing.

I would like to see Half Price Books open a location in Meyerland. The closest one to there is the one in Rice Village that has a parking problem if you go on weekends or during peak lunch and after work hours. BTW, anyone the history of the building the half Price Books is in at the Rice Village location?

I love it when old buildings are saved like that. The Book Stop on Alabama is a classic example. They managed to save that theater structure and the sign out front which is a Houston icon.

Meyerland does not offer a historic building to a used book store but it does have tons of customers who would stop in when at the location and probably buy something. These people would not otherwise get in the car (With $3 gas) and go to the village to just browse.

I've seen how 1/2 price books tends to lease in areas that have either high income, education, cultural areas, or high traffic areas and a combination thereof. It's time they came to Meyerland to tap the market in that area and surrounding communities like Westbury and Bellaire.

This would be bad for Borders but hey they had a good run.

When Service Merchandise closed I was hopeful that Sears would move in and shut down the Westwood Mall store. I sometimes have to go there to buy tools and it's very creep in westwood. Sears is the only store there so there is little traffic in the lot. They would in no way be allowed to have an auto Center in Meyerland so that may have been the problem.

They could have gone to the space MARS left next to Lowes a few years ago where the Hobby Lobby is by. A Sears with a full line of Craftsman stuff over there in a safe and clean area would be awesome!

Half Price is here near Kirkwood/Westheimer! :) next to a jack in the box. I love that store!! :) They got cheap computer games!!!

and great books. One book I saw the day was, "How to speak cat" using the vowels and syllables. (sp?). You want to tell me someone REALLY had nothing to do other then try and speak cat and write about it! LOL!

half price books in the village used to be a bank. it also has flooding issues when it sprinkles, and apparently there are certain creatures that visit from next door...(ewwww)! the rent is really high, but it is their most profitable store in houston.

i am pretty sure you will only see hpb's further out from now on. there is a used book store on beechnut i beleive, near the chevron at the loop, but from what i hear the selection is kind of slim...

Part of it may have been a bank at one time, but the majority of the building's original use was as a department store. My mother who grew up near the area has verified this, and the original terrazzo entrance to the store confirms it. When going in the main entrance of Half Price Books you still walk over the original "Meyer Brothers - White House Store" terrazzo.

Yes, you are right. I was thinking that's where HPB was but was going to have to drive by to confirm it. I was in there about 20 years ago and there was an antiques shop in that space. I remember being struck by the Mezzanine and curved staircase along one side and asked the proprietress what it had been and she said a Meyer Brothers.

That was probably the only time I was ever in a Meyer Bros.

• 6 years later...

I too believe the trend toward medical service centers began before passage of the ACA but its implementation will certainly accelerate the building of these centers.

On a side note, does anyone know what is going in to the space once occupied by B&N and Pesce at the southeast corner of Kirby and Alabama?

http://swamplot.com/...aza/2012-07-18/

where are there other examples of medical biz setting up new facilities to cash in on the affordable care act? Either in previuosly underserved areas, or currently well served areas?

So true. They are also likely cashing in on the poor saps who don't take care of themselves. I'm sure the baby boomer population may also play a role.

• 2 years later...

This is right on the fringe of transformation of this area, and will be a nice sight too see as the areas around here begin to redevelop.

The area around Meyerland Plaza is full of million dollar mansions so I would say it's well beyond redeveloped. This shopping center is the only thing lagging in this area.
  • Like 2

The area around Meyerland Plaza is full of million dollar mansions so I would say it's well beyond redeveloped. This shopping center is the only thing lagging in this area.

Although the previous renovation job on Meyerland Plaza is outmoded, I don't think many of the stores there are suffering for lack of customers. Even people who live in million dollar mansions shop at places like Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, SteinMart, etc. Anyone who wants upper-end merchandise will find plenty of options just a short drive away in the Galleria, Highland Village and adjacent shopping districts.

• Like 2

Although the previous renovation job on Meyerland Plaza is outmoded, I don't think many of the stores there are suffering for lack of customers. Even people who live in million dollar mansions shop at places like Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, SteinMart, etc. Anyone who wants upper-end merchandise will find plenty of options just a short drive away in the Galleria, Highland Village and adjacent shopping districts.

Sorry, I was trying to say that the demographics of the area will easily support even more retail in this area. The current options are great but the center itself feels tired and the layout is built around the car. I'd also love to see more restaurants and retail fill up some of the concrete sea around it.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I couldn't find a rendering of the planned H-E-B Meyerland Plaza, but I can't wait to see how the design looks. Meyerland Plaza is prone to flooding, so I'm wondering why there will be first floor parking? Wouldn't it be more feasible and better in the long run (due to the area's known flooding problems) to leave the first floor has a loading area with a ramp leading to second floor parking? The grocery store could be on the second floor too or on a third floor (or both!).

From a layman's point of view, I avoid areas like Meyerland Plaza were the surface parking lot is known to flood during big and fast-moving rain storms. On the off chance I'm caught out in a torrential rain while I'm inside shopping or if I worked there, I'd feel safer knowing my car would be less likely to receive flood damage in an elevated parking structure. I think developers of retail, regular apartments, and mid-to-hi-rise residences should eliminate underground (like the Calais at Cortlandt Square in Midtown), surface, and first floor parking and focus on elevated parking with Houston's flooding in mind for future projects.

Ha. Although that would be nice I'm sure the last thing developers are worried about is keeping your car dry. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Retail Wrap: Meyerland Plaza gets $93 million loan for refinancing

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Meyerland-Plaza-gets-93M-loan-for-refinancing-12293372.php

A joint venture of Fidelis Realty Partners has obtained a $93 million loan to refinance Meyerland Plaza, an 860,308-square-foot retail center at the southwest corner of the West Loop South and Beechnut. JLL Capital Markets, led by Tom Fish, Jimmy Board and Molly Leinsdorf, secured the loan through John Hancock. Tenants include a J.C. Penney store, Palais Royal, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Ross Dress for Less, Marshall's, Best Buy, Chick-fil-A, Saltgrass Steakhouse and Beck's Prime. Fidelis, in partnership with BlackRock, acquired the property from Ronus Properties in 2013. The 1957 center was redeveloped by Ed Wulfe in the mid-1990s.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...