• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CB&I is constructing a 6-story, 150,000 sf building on the East side of Lake Woodlands, just south of Research Forest Drive.  Here is an article:

http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/the-woodlands/woodlands-township-approves-abatement-for-$35-million-cb%26i-expansion/

A crane has been erected on the site and construction has begun.

With this addition, there are currently 5 buildings under construction on the north end of the lake. 

6-story CB&I 

8-story Research Forest Lakeside Office Building

8-story Hughes Landing I

8-story Hughes Landing II

8-story Hughes Landing Residential

add more SF and an additional building plus another mid-sized deal for a different company in another building.

Yep, 600,000 SF in two buildings. Who's the different company for the mid size deal?

Jebus, more Exxon? 

im confused. why would exxon build a new corporate campus with 20 buildings (assuming they over built to accomodate future growth) only to split their employees up again in seperate buildings a few miles away? I call bs.

exxon wanted a separate location for their back office employees - administrative and the like. they were initially going to keep them at greenspoint but believed it created too great a divide between their employees to have the operations side in a class A++++ facility and the back office side in the slums of greenspoint. thought it would create a class warfare type environment.

this is not an uncommon strategy for large corporate users.

I haven't seen the rendering; but, based on the location, I expect the garage to be adjacent to the building rather than stacked.  All of the other buildings around the lake, including the first two Hughes Landing buildings are designed this way.

exxon wanted a separate location for their back office employees - administrative and the like. they were initially going to keep them at greenspoint but believed it created too great a divide between their employees to have the operations side in a class A++++ facility and the back office side in the slums of greenspoint. thought it would create a class warfare type environment.

this is not an uncommon strategy for large corporate users.

I wonder why they want a separate location for their "back-office" employees.  Any idea of the thinking behind this?

I wonder why they want a separate location for their "back-office" employees.  Any idea of the thinking behind this?

Read the writing on the wall folks.., this location will be for 'front office' staff (C-suite). Since when did 'back office' staff average $125,000 annually?

"Sadler asked what employees would be at Hughes Landing location, but Alexander said the company still is sorting that out. It will be professional people, IT … some real estate department will be there …” he said. “We tend to move people around. We are excited.”

Also from a company press release in 2012...,

"Exxon Mobil corporate headquarters in Irving and XTO [Energy Inc., an Exxon Mobil subsidiary] in Fort Worth will not be relocated to the new campus,” said Kimberly Brasington, a company spokeswoman.

As structured and calculated, as they tend to be, if Exxon is still sorting this out, then my name is Billy D. Williams. Staying mum is a clever strategy that keeps the Irving folks at bay for now but soon the company will be referred to as "The Woodlands, Texas based ExxonMobil Corp."

With only around 400 employees at its corporate headquarters in Irving, where could the 1,400 employees relocating to Hughes Landing all of a sudden be coming from?  Well, it just so happens there's around 1,000 located at Fort Worth's XTO offices. 

Shhhhh...., I'm excited as well!  :D 

Read the writing on the wall folks.., this location will be for 'front office' staff (C-suite). Since when did 'back office' staff average $125,000 annually?

"Sadler asked what employees would be at Hughes Landing location, but Alexander said the company still is sorting that out. It will be professional people, IT … some real estate department will be there …” he said. “We tend to move people around. We are excited.”

"Exxon Mobil corporate headquarters in Irving and XTO [Energy Inc., an Exxon Mobil subsidiary] in Fort Worth will not be relocated to the new campus,” said Kimberly Brasington, a company spokeswoman.

As structured and calculated, as they tend to be, if Exxon is still sorting this out, then my name is Billy D. Williams. Staying mum is a clever strategy that keeps the Irving folks at bay for now but soon the company will be referred to as "The Woodlands, Texas based ExxonMobil Corp."

With only around 400 employees at its corporate headquarters in Irving, where could the 1,400 employees relocating to Hughes Landing all of a sudden be coming from?  Well, it just so happens there's around 1,000 located at Fort Worth's XTO offices. 

Houstonian, my first response to your post is that the theory you put forward is way off, since we've been told that Headquarters will "remain in Irving". I work for ExxonMobil and that's what has been communicated to us. However, I am not certain that things won't change, so I won't be hasty to discredit what you've theorized. On the other hand I can tell you that $125,000 is not far above the average salary at ExxonMobil across all positions. If the top executive's salaries were to be included in these number's, that $179 million in salaries would be much higher, almost double to venture a guess.

Yeah, when I read about the $125,000 average salary this morning, I too thought this is probably not just a "back-office" facility.

Why do I feel Nancy's article here is a direct response to our speculation? http://www.chron.com/ Ok, it could be just a coincidence.

Until ExxonMobil gives a good reason why they are choosing to move different groups off campus to The Woodlands proper, I'll stick by my statement..., somethings brewing!

With no confirmation from the Exxon spokesman regarding the XTO folks in Fort Worth, maybe its just that group making a move.

There wasn't a direct link to the article. Maybe I missed it on the home page because I'm on my phone.

Hopefully Nancy knows something we don't. If all of these significant investments of new major campuses and employee consolidation are anything to go by, it's only a matter of time before both Exxon and Chevron move HQ to the Houston area. I give it about 5 years. Shall we place bets? Heh

Archived