i don't know what makes you think exxon owes anyone any explanation to anybody whatsoever. you can speculate all you want but their keeping mum means nothing at all.

edit: and i assure you nancy knows less than many posters on this site.

I didn't mean to imply that Exxon 'owed' me or anyone any explanation, but thanks for giving me permission to speculate swtsig.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again guys I hate to dash anyone's hopes of ExxonMobil's HQ relocating to The Woodlands, but I will. Per EM's rules I cannot post direct quotes from employee communications, but for the most part work groups have already been informed as to whom will be occuppying the new satellite offices in The Woodlands. Those groups include the IT department, HR, Tax and a couple other groups. They were under the impression that they would be relocated to the new campus with everyone else, but when the decision was made to lease the satellite offices and they were informed there was a little sigh of relief let out by some employees, especially the ones that live in the Sugar Land area since their move to the new offices is delayed a little. Also, just to reiterate, $125,000 is average for an EM employee.

You're not dashing any hopes TBooze.., Exxon has never said Irving will be the HQ until Jesus returns. So as soon as Rex retires I (and many others) fully expect that the HQ will move to The Woodlands.., mark my words! :)

And maybe it's just me, but while I want all 3 HQ's to relocate to Houston at some point (Exxon, Chevron, and BP) I'd much rather prefer the Exxon HQ.., sibling rivalry. Until then we will welcome the additional jobs!

If your hypothesis is correct, they will secure the lease of the remainder of the second building.  For security reasons, no way they allow that space to be occupied by others.

Security can easily be maintained with multiple tenants in one building, it's done all the time.

You're not dashing any hopes TBooze.., Exxon has never said Irving will be the HQ until Jesus returns. So as soon as Rex retires I (and many others) fully expect that the HQ will move to The Woodlands.., mark my words! :)

Not to mention, over the course of the past couple of years, Exxon spokesmen have put out some pretty contradictory statements regarding their plans for consolidation or non-consolidation, or whatever the message is this week.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This morning I put this picture on my Facebook telling my friends that it is my "new office," and my Facebook has been blowing up! People absolutely love this. I have to admit the detail is amazing! One person even thought it was actually a picture, not a rendering.

post-194-0-25559100-1403714604_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize two of the new research forest lakeside buildings were already built until I saw them today. They look very nice.. Are they the tallest of the group?

the last information made public was that all of the additional buildings at research forest lakeside would be shorter than the first, tallest building.  as we know, things are always subject to change.  i think one of the companies outgrew its space shortly after moving in (repsol maybe?).  the research forest lakeside buildings are much more appealing than the howard hughes co. product across the lake.  it's embarrassing actually.  locals are disgusted with the direction howard hughes is going (ugly buildings, less mixed used structures...)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not to mention, over the course of the past couple of years, Exxon spokesmen have put out some pretty contradictory statements regarding their plans for consolidation or non-consolidation, or whatever the message is this week.

They are moving some very unusual departments to the new space in the Woodlands - heavy on the administrative functions without being the corner suites. It seems rather unusual for them to split their work groups like that. Commuting back and forth would be a pain.

BP is not going to move to the US, but they are spinning off part of the company to a new Houston-based entity. Chevron's still got that Australian gas works to deal with before they start developing additional office space here in the States. I could see Exxon splitting in much the same way ConocoPhillips and Occidental split. That part of the company could end up in Houston. The other company would remain in Irving. 

They are moving some very unusual departments to the new space in the Woodlands - heavy on the administrative functions without being the corner suites. It seems rather unusual for them to split their work groups like that. Commuting back and forth would be a pain.

BP is not going to move to the US, but they are spinning off part of the company to a new Houston-based entity. Chevron's still got that Australian gas works to deal with before they start developing additional office space here in the States. I could see Exxon splitting in much the same way ConocoPhillips and Occidental split. That part of the company could end up in Houston. The other company would remain in Irving.

Not sure what you mean by imagining that Exxon could split in much the same way ConocoPhillips and Occidental split. Those were two very different splits. 

ConocoPhillips was a vertical split, where they spun off the downsteam business and kept the upstream.  Occidental was a horizontal split, where they spun off California E&P assets into a separate company.

In any event, if Exxon were to do either kind of split, I'm not sure what "company" would remain in Irving, given that there are zero operations in Irving; only executives.  If Exxon were to do a split, maybe one of the companies would maintain its headquarters in Irving, which would mean a down-sized headquarters.  It seems more likely that Irving would get left behind altogether.  

I could see E&P coming to Houston, while R&M stays up north. That's essentially how Marathon split its operation.

That's if the whole kit and caboodle doesn't come to Houston. I found it significant that the IT, HR, tax and accounting departments are all rumored to be moving to the Woodlands. The only people who would be left in Irving would be Tillerson and his immediate lieutenants. If Tillerson weren't wed to his ranch in Fracking Hell, the whole company would be in Houston already.

I could see E&P coming to Houston, while R&M stays up north. That's essentially how Marathon split its operation.

That's if the whole kit and caboodle doesn't come to Houston. I found it significant that the IT, HR, tax and accounting departments are all rumored to be moving to the Woodlands. The only people who would be left in Irving would be Tillerson and his immediate lieutenants. If Tillerson weren't wed to his ranch in Fracking Hell, the whole company would be in Houston already.

That's just it.  R&M can't stay up north, unless it is already up north.  R&M is not up north, but is currently being relocated from Virginia to Houston.

Archived