COH offering citizens "Alerthouston"

Houston experienced severe weather the past few days that affected Houstonians' lives and property. With hurricane season well underway, the City of Houston is keeping an eye on the Gulf of Mexico for development of tropical storms and hurricanes. Have you done everything you should to prepare in case disaster strikes? One of the best things you can do is avail yourself of information from official sources, like the National Weather Service and your local media.

In addition, the City of Houston Office of Emergency Management invites you to stay informed about tropical weather and other types of emergencies that could impact our community by registering for AlertHouston, the City's emergency e-mail notification system. This tool will provide you and your family with key information that can help keep you safe.

Registration is free and easy! Sign up today at alert.houstonoem.net.

For more information about the City of Houston Office of Emergency Management, visit www.houstonoem.net.

I got them, too. At first, I thought, "Hey, this is cool!" But, after the third one went off in the middle of the night, I got up, went to Settings, and turned that crap off. That's the problem with 'Alerts'. They send too many of them. I don't care the dad who took the baby in Lampassass, or the old man who wandered off in Grand Prairie. If they would limit it to real emergencies affecting only our area, I might turn it back on.

No thanks.

The double-volume U-Verse weather alert is plenty effective in that it awakens the dog, which then awakens the wife, which, well you get the point. And for what? It's as if everyone at the NWS graduated from the UH double-Doppler, cone of uncertainty, dirty-side, on-shore flow, hunker-down school of hyping the weather.

No thanks.

The double-volume U-Verse weather alert is plenty effective in that it awakens the dog, which then awakens the wife, which, well you get the point. And for what? It's as if everyone at the NWS graduated from the UH double-Doppler, cone of uncertainty, dirty-side, on-shore flow, hunker-down school of hyping the weather.

Quadruple-Volume! That thing scares the crap out of me when it goes off.

No thanks to the alert notifications. I know where to go to get information when I need it.

Archived