Premium Draught Beer Shop At 733 Studewood St.

heights_yankee

I can hear the parking complaints starting already, meanwhile I look VERY forward to swinging by on my bike/skateboard and picking up a growler of fine brew on the way to happy fatz or dry creek.

Indeed. They were craaaanky on FB about parking but this isn't going to be a sit and drink establishment. Beer is to-go only, so the parking needs should be about the same as the kwik-e-mart next door, whose spaces are always available.

Indeed. They were craaaanky on FB about parking but this isn't going to be a sit and drink establishment. Beer is to-go only, so the parking needs should be about the same as the kwik-e-mart next door, whose spaces are always available.

I don't understand your math. The spaces are available for kwik-e (Woods) mart. I guess someone looking for a pack of smokes better head down to the Conoco because it was tough already trying not to door-ding a mini Cooper having a latte to-go.

Excuse me but... what is a growler? And how can one have beer to go in Texas???

A growler is typically a 32 or 64 ounce resealable glass container (other sizes too maybe). Typically used when you want to transport >1 pint but <1 keg of beer somewhere. They sell them at many places that offer beer on tap - Whole Foods has them, Hay Merchant, and sometimes restaurants with an onsite brewery (outside of TX though, right? someone correct me - I think the beer laws in this state are kinda funky. Maybe it's just Harris County).

You can usually buy a growler for $5-$10, and refill them for about the same, depending on the beer. For example, I have a 32oz growler from Whole Foods on Montrose. The growler cost me $6 (one time fee), and I can take it in and get a refill of various TX beers for anywhere from $4-$15 on any given day (they have ~8 beers on tap). I take it home, drink it up, wash it out, and take it back for a refill another time. Some places offer a growler exchange program so you don't have to wash it yourself.

Think about it this way - it's the beer drinker's version of a refillable propane tank :-)

I don't understand your math. The spaces are available for kwik-e (Woods) mart. I guess someone looking for a pack of smokes better head down to the Conoco because it was tough already trying not to door-ding a mini Cooper having a latte to-go.

Maybe they should do like they do in Arizona and have drive through liquor (or beer) stores.

Yankee, you got me thinking, so I looked up their TABC permit (number BG801235). That BG designates the following license:

WINE AND BEER RETAILER'S PERMIT (BG)

Permit authorizes the holder to sell for consumption on or off the premises where sold but not for resale, beer, ale, malt liquor and wine not more than 14% or 17% (depending on type of local option election). Requires adequate seating area for customers.

(emphasis mine)

So I don't know about this to-go only thing. Did you read that somewhere? This could be another beer joint, not that there's anything wrong with that. Except for the PARKING!

Here's a TABC list of license types:

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/licensing/license_and_permit_description.asp

Maybe it's changed, but the guys at Woods would call the cops if you parked in their spots. Of those 5 or so spaces in front, there would be 1 or 2 cars at the most any time I was there. The problem with the people who drive there is usually that they make their own spots, double parking next to or on the sidewalk.

As far as the permit, I was with a friend and we stopped to read the permits in the window. She said their permit said that it was to-go. I was standing right there while she was reading it, so I guess I didn't think that was 2nd hand information, but now I realize I might need to ask her where she learned to read <_<:lol:

In either case I'll be walking up, but it makes sense that they would have a "dine-in" option to sample the brews before toting off a half-gallon. Local beer names are easier to remember than foreign, but I am still suffering from long-term loss of short-term memory. I had a Karbach "Sympathy for the Lager" at Zelko on Friday and only remember that one because I saved the can for the lyrics. But I had to sneak the empty can out of there because their license doesn't have the correct prefix! Prohibition still has its fangs in Texas.

Talking to another restaurant owner in the Heights last night, he thinks they'll have to be a take away only place because a bar needs more parking spaces than a restaurant for permitting purposes and the City is really, really over board about parking. It's one of the top factors, according to this guy, in restaurant developments stalling.

Talking to another restaurant owner in the Heights last night, he thinks they'll have to be a take away only place because a bar needs more parking spaces than a restaurant for permitting purposes and the City is really, really over board about parking. It's one of the top factors, according to this guy, in restaurant developments stalling.

Bars currently need 10 spaces per 1000 s.f., which the city would like to increase to 14 per 1000 s.f.

I appreciate that in certain parts of the city parking by bar patrons has an impact on surrounding residential areas, but shouldn't we be discouraging people from driving to bars instead of subsidizing it?

Our parking regulations aren't the only thing impeding increased walkability and public transportation, but they certainly contribute.

Bars currently need 10 spaces per 1000 s.f., which the city would like to increase to 14 per 1000 s.f.

Do you know how the city defines a bar versus a to-go package establishment? If it uses the TABC license designation, then to get city permits Premium Draught will need five to ten new parking spaces.

Do you know how the city defines a bar versus a to-go package establishment? If it uses the TABC license designation, then to get city permits Premium Draught will need five to ten new parking spaces.

I have no idea but even if it took all of Antidote's spaces, it would have 6. I think Kaboom books had 3 when it was there, although they let Antidote customers park in their spots. The market does not.

They have their own website if you want to take a look: http://premiumdraught.com/

The concept is for growlers to go. My guess is there isn't room or parking for onsite drinking.

The people at Antidote have said that the space next door (previously Kaboom and Premium Draught in the future) has two parking spaces.

The confusion in the liqour laws, I think has to do with breweries not being allowed to sell beer to go on site if they also want to distribute in stores and outside bars/restaurants. That should not be an issue for this place, which I think is only going to sell other's beers. There are bars, such as Petrol Station and Hay Merchant who sell beer to drink onsite and beer to go. Antidote also mentioned to me recently that they sell their beer to go. Restaurants in Texas also allow you to cork your wine and leave with it, so effectively, they sell wine to go. Finally, several wine shops sell retail bottles and sell wine to drink at the shop.

There is a lot of misinformation here and elsewhere about Texas liqour laws.

The business plan is retail to-go only; they'll santize Premium Draft growlers on-premise and fill any clean growlers you bring, currently waiting on City Permits....http://lushtastic.co...remium-draught/

Given the location they have chosen, I found this sentence from that article rather interesting: "As an admitted homebody, Orr grew tired of having to hassle with finding parking (a notorious problem in this town), fighting crowds..."

They have their own website if you want to take a look: http://premiumdraught.com/

The concept is for growlers to go. My guess is there isn't room or parking for onsite drinking.

The people at Antidote have said that the space next door (previously Kaboom and Premium Draught in the future) has two parking spaces.

The confusion in the liqour laws, I think has to do with breweries not being allowed to sell beer to go on site if they also want to distribute in stores and outside bars/restaurants. That should not be an issue for this place, which I think is only going to sell other's beers. There are bars, such as Petrol Station and Hay Merchant who sell beer to drink onsite and beer to go. Antidote also mentioned to me recently that they sell their beer to go. Restaurants in Texas also allow you to cork your wine and leave with it, so effectively, they sell wine to go. Finally, several wine shops sell retail bottles and sell wine to drink at the shop.

There is a lot of misinformation here and elsewhere about Texas liqour laws.

I don't think there is a lot of misinformation here. The link you posted is in the OP and is almost useless. Every bar in Houston with a BG license (hunderds if not thousands of licensees) can sell both drink-in and to-go,e.g. Antidote, Jimmies, but not the liquor bars. The interview link and earlier posts explain that city permit wrt parking is the real problem, so the owner's plan is to sell to-go only and not sell drink-in to avoid the parking requirements of the city permit, his TABC license is fine. I wish him luck with the CoH.

Given the location they have chosen, I found this sentence from that article rather interesting: "As an admitted homebody, Orr grew tired of having to hassle with finding parking (a notorious problem in this town), fighting crowds..."

I'll say! He's going to have a problem finding a parking spot for his own car, let's hope he bikes to work,

I don't think there is a lot of misinformation here. The link you posted is in the OP and is almost useless. Every bar in Houston with a BG license (hunderds if not thousands of licensees) can sell both drink-in and to-go,e.g. Antidote, Jimmies, but not the liquor bars. The interview link and earlier posts explain that city permit wrt parking is the real problem, so the owner's plan is to sell to-go only and not sell drink-in to avoid the parking requirements of the city permit, his TABC license is fine. I wish him luck with the CoH.

I think it may be a little more convoluted. D&Q recently had their growler service shut down by TABC with a claim that they had the wrong license. He's got a sign up now where he's applying for the new permit. He only sells beer to-go, so I don't know why growlers should be a distinction.

I think it may be a little more convoluted. D&Q recently had their growler service shut down by TABC with a claim that they had the wrong license. He's got a sign up now where he's applying for the new permit. He only sells beer to-go, so I don't know why growlers should be a distinction.

Yeah, I read that about D&Q in the Premium Draft thread on BeerAdvocate.com where one of the rumors was proximity to a school, so who knows. TABC has so much power they can just about do anything and they keep track of everything, police calls, fights, noise complaints....reach a certain limit and you're shut down.

D&Q did NOT have an on/off premises license such as a BG license. They have a BF license (BF635429) which is off premises only, and no open container (growler being filled) is allowed in such an establishment.

• The title was changed to Draught House To Open Next To Antidote
  • The title was changed to Premium Draught Beer Shop At 733 Studewood St.

Archived