500 Crawford: Multifamily At 500 Crawford St.

lockmat

What we are seeing is the tipping point for downtown. This is what the central core has needed to sustain growth and bring in more retail, and service oriented businesses. Its kind of a chicken and egg situation and in this case without the density no need for retail.

I also think that for Midtown even though it has seen an incredible amount of infill over the last ten years, that once the MId Main and the MATCH centers both get built this will take Midtown to a new level. We will the start to see mid rises and hi rises being developed in the area. It won't be long before there is no gap between downtown and the Med center.

I happened to be at Reliant for a cougars game a few weeks ago and when I reached the top ramp looking North through the med center from Reliant up to Downtown, and noticed what a truly remarkable view it has become and you really can see how it is starting to fill in .

• Like 1

He is being serious and I tend to agree. This project, and the Hines Residential, will do MORE for downtown than 609 Main (or even BP Place) ever could. You can go ahead and print that and come back in 5-10 years

A vibrant residential component will bring synergy to downtown....a pedestal office tower that empties out at 5PM and is closed on the weekend is limited on what it can bring to downtown.

Of course a true downtown should have a mix of both but YES this project is definitely a game changer. it symbolizes downtown as a residential neighborhood...a title downtown started to lose in the 1920s/30s.

^ Gets it.
  • Like 1

He is being serious and I tend to agree. This project, and the Hines Residential, will do MORE for downtown than 609 Main (or even BP Place) ever could. You can go ahead and print that and come back in 5-10 years

A vibrant residential component will bring synergy to downtown....a pedestal office tower that empties out at 5PM and is closed on the weekend is limited on what it can bring to downtown.

Of course a true downtown should have a mix of both but YES this project is definitely a game changer. it symbolizes downtown as a residential neighborhood...a title downtown started to lose in the 1920s/30s.

He was actually trolling like he always does, but other than that I agree.

• Like 1

What we are seeing is the tipping point for downtown. This is what the central core has needed to sustain growth and bring in more retail, and service oriented businesses.

I agree.

The 500 Crawford complex isn't going to be a game changer, the game has already changed. This complex is just one player in the game.

I am anxious to see what the two near Market Square does to activity there. Park Place was an immediate upgrade to the convention district. Market Square already has some nice activity in terms of restaurants, bars and of course the park, so it will interesting to see what new potential will be realized.

As for the 6 complexes joining Houston House in SE downtown, the change that can happen there is just too much for me to imagine.

Edited by HoustonIsHome

• 3 weeks later...

There's been a lot of work actually. They've been making the entire property level after they had to break up the foundations of the earlier buildings on the northern portion and I noticed they added in a "rock road" this week near the center. Trust me, I drive by this thing everyday and they are definitely moving at a good pace. Maybe I can take pics tomorrow... maybe.

• Like 1

There's been a lot of work actually. They've been making the entire property level after they had to break up the foundations of the earlier buildings on the northern portion and I noticed they added in a "rock road" this week near the center. Trust me, I drive by this thing everyday and they are definitely moving at a good pace. Maybe I can take pics tomorrow... maybe.

Awesome news! Sorry for jumping the gun, I've just passed by the site 5 or 6 times since the ground breaking ceremony and couldn't tell that any real progress had been made! Good to hear things are preceding, just can't wait for the crane to go up and this thing to start going vertical.

• 2 weeks later...

It is going to be incredible to see residential butting up to MMP. Not that it would be the same but I just love how in places like Boston/ Chicago, etc where the stadiums cozy up with the community around them. I hope this is the beginning of the same for MMP.

I'd take Astro HR ball in my living room any day.

• Like 1

More likely the other teams homerun ball but still pretty cool

Winning and losing comes in cycles my friend. Hopefully we are coming out of a losing cycle and into a winning one :) perfect timing for these residents seeking Astro HR balls

Marvy is a genius ;p

• Like 2

Winning and losing comes in cycles my friend. Hopefully we are coming out of a losing cycle and into a winning one :) perfect timing for these residents seeking Astro HR balls

Marvy is a genius ;p

Hopefully one of them will get a historic baseball that could help subsidize their insane rent ^_^  haha

• Like 1

Great pics.

It's a little difficult to tell from this photo but there is actually a massive pit that they've dug this week. That black Dodge truck and the other construction truck are right at the edge.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Great pics.

It's a little difficult to tell from this photo but there is actually a massive pit that they've dug this week. That black Dodge truck is right at the edge.

Yes, I forgot to point that out. They don't have a lot of workers or equipment on site right now, but what they do have has been busy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two things that really piss me off about the project. 

1. The faux cornice will diminish downtown views from the ballpark. Architects could have and still can omit the roofline elements and preserve the line of sight aesthetic. I am not talking about the whole building, just across the street from the ballpark!
  2. There will be no rooftop seating to watch the game from across the street like at Wrigley Field. This is one perfect example of why Houston sucks. A missed opportunity of making something quirky, unique and fun like in Chicago. Even if it is a bad idea, ambiance and cheap beer would make up for it. City hall can get anything done in this city. It would be one more gimmick, one more selling point to attract business and residents downtown. 
  3. Something going across the street from one of the crown jewels in Houston screams "cheap" compared to what developers would implement in other cities.

I am sorry for being a Debbie Downer guys and I know how most of you like to stay positive in this forum, but I just had to get this off my chest.

^^^ you think that's bad, wait til the apartment owners start selling advertising on their roof once the AAstros improve....

oh yeah, wait.... lol

One thing I would be okay with is large reprographics on the building. Los Angeles has a lot of this visual pollution but I find it more tasteful than billboards. I know there is a ban on ads like this inside city limits, but a small amount by this venue could make an edifice more attractive if done tastefully. 

Oh, you spelled Lastros wrong, lol.