500 Crawford: Multifamily At 500 Crawford St.

lockmat

I mean I guess I kinda get it. Just from a personal standpoint, I have been in the area of Crawford and Texas way, way more often than I am ever in the vicinity of HP (which is only if I am actually purposefully going to HP [ie HoB] I guess), It may have to do with where I live as going to the East part of downtown to the Astros, soccer, warehouse live, or Lucky's etc takes me into the area from I10 via 59 or mckee, theres no real route or destination (besides HP itself) that I ever takes that drives me by HP, which I guess isnt necessarily the case for everyone.

Edited by JJxvi

Wait, what? White Sox?

I think you meant Cubs, the other Chicago team that sells out despite being losers. Or, maybe you meant the Red Sox?

Or the Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants, Yankees, or any number of other high attendance teams. In fact, as bad as the Astros are, the White Sox are only 3 places ahead of them in attendance.

Congrats, Niche, on proving that you pay absolutely no attention to baseball. Not, that anyone would have pegged you for a baseball fan...but the White Sox? But, you DID spell SOX correctly.

The Astros better turn the corner before Marvy turns the Golden Shovel. My kids would only go to Friday games this year, and the Fire Chief might have a hard time signing a fireworks permit right next to a residential development. But seriously, look at what the city gave up for the downtown stadiums primarily to enable this type of development, and I am glad we haven't lost focus. And with that Reliant monstrosity sitting next to the Harris County Hemorrhoid to remind us why we gave all those incentives, I predict more on the way.

I think I counted seven stories - but I couldn't get it to expand any larger. Is that what it shows? If so - that's a nice amount.

Yes, 7 stories. I think it's a good density for the property. The design is even fairly inoffensive. it's just too bad the old Ben Milam is going to come down.

Edited by largeTEXAS

Thanks to LT, we now know we're lookin at a 7 building that takes up the entire site. I still think its possible the upper units near Preston/Crawford end may get views to atleast the infield & home plate ...but some new advertising signage is now in the way. Almost reminiscent to the Wrigley Rooftop/Tribune Co Battle with Spite Signs.

Will be interesting to see if the new advertising at MMP will be moved in light of Marvy's new addition next door.

Hey now, my posts have been on topic; the responses to them have been tangential. Low-attendance baseball games adversely impact the development potentials for retail opposite a baseball stadium. That was my point.

Just ribbing you, brotha.

Looks to be a nice addition... It's definitely a step in the right direction. with the rail, dynamo stadium and the future convention hotel/development I think we're going to continue to see these types of developments in this area. The city is obviously pushing hard to encourage this so it only makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Was reading in the Chronicle today (while I was bored sitting in a seminar) and read that Marvey Finger is planning a new 380 unit complex near GRB. Anybody know anything about this?

...The only residential project of note has been One Park Place, a tower of 340 luxury units at the western edge of Discovery Green.

"I took a big risk," said Marvy Finger, president and CEO of the Finger Companies. "Every banker and every mortgage lender said, 'He must be out of his mind to do a downtown development.'" He received no city incentives to build there, but he could see Discovery Green as a great front lawn. "It really was the park that kicked off everything that's going on in east downtown."

He recently purchased land in front of Minute Maid Park for a project that will have 380 luxury units. Finger is receiving the equivalent of about $2 million from the city of Houston, which has abandoned and granted a portion of Prairie Street in front of the ballpark for his development.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took a little time to take a few shots of the site before they started work, but it seems like they are doing some demo already.

I'm assuming they're going to knock down that building there?

DSC09845.jpg

DSC09849.jpg

DSC09850.jpg

It will be a pity to lose this building. The Old Bells and Whistles place...not so much.

DSC09846.jpg

• Like 1