Park Place | River Oaks: Mixed-Use Development At Westheimer Rd. & Mid Ln.

lockmat

Would have to do San Felipe, Richmond and possibly Bissonnet and Bellaire too.  Seems inevitable.   

LA Did this recently along the Alameda Corridor from their Port to Downtown.  Much busier corridor though...surface and rail.   

the trench? i completely agree, San Felipe and Richmond need it too, and it does seem inevitable.. not sure how the traffic is on Bissonnet and Bellaire around the tracks though, and making the trench extend that far south may prove to be too costly.

Mainline rail lines a very limited in the grade that the tracks can be built, unlike Lightrail.  Ever see the rail line approaches to the the Huey P Long Bridge in NOLA? They go on for Miles on either side of the Bridge.

The issue here may be that once the tracks go under Richmond, they may not have enough distance to be at surface level by Bissonnet.  I may be wrong...and don't know much on the subject, but once in the trench...it takes a lot of distance to come back out.   

• Like 1

I think it should be eliminated entirely. I mean, why is there a train in the middle of this and other areas???

Right of way ceded to rail companies a long time ago and the state will never have enough money to buy it back?

Impossible to rezone and re-route because of companies that benefit from its current route, and therefore exert political pressure to have it remain?

Who the hell knows, but it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait.. According to the information urbannizer posted, they are only building the 8 story and 17 story apartments, before selling off the whole property to someone else to develop the southern portion..? Who knows how long before the rest of the property finally gets developed..

And I thought the 17 story was breaking ground the same time as the 8 story..?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The AT&T building is actually a predecessor to a data center.  Back when telephone switching equipment took lots of space, they had to build buildings like this just to handle telephone calls.  There's a similar one downtown, too.  Nowadays the switching equipment is much more compact, so I guess these buildings could be converted to data centers.  Usually companies like to have data centers be much less prominent, though.  I have no idea what all this building is being used for now.  I'm sure some of it is still used for switching, but I think that wouldn't occupy the whole building.  It used to have a bunch of antennas, I think for microwave frequencies, on the roof, but they are all gone now.

The AT&T building is actually a predecessor to a data center.  Back when telephone switching equipment took lots of space, they had to build buildings like this just to handle telephone calls.  There's a similar one downtown, too.  Nowadays the switching equipment is much more compact, so I guess these buildings could be converted to data centers.  Usually companies like to have data centers be much less prominent, though.  I have no idea what all this building is being used for now.  I'm sure some of it is still used for switching, but I think that wouldn't occupy the whole building.  It used to have a bunch of antennas, I think for microwave frequencies, on the roof, but they are all gone now.

From what I have been told, and I don't remember the technical terms, it's a hub for internet and phone service in that area. The similar building in downtown serves the same purpose.

• 3 weeks later...