Energy Center Three, Four, & Five At 935 N. Eldridge Pkwy.

Fortune

Cool. I like how these towers keep springing up right along I-10. Can't wait for 10 years or so down the line, it's going to look great from Highway 6 to the Beltway. Although the traffic at this intersection is already pretty awful at quitting time, and this certainly won't help. I think this is also really close to the site that Skanska bought and is planning on redeveloping, although that's slightly further south and not directly on the highway.

• Like 1

Nice building, but these belong inside the loop. I guess someone forgot to close the gate and all the horses got out?

The second part of your comment is pretty accurate. It seems to me that almost all of the significant office construction is occurring outside the loop at the moment.

• Like 1

Nice building, but these belong inside the loop. I guess someone forgot to close the gate and all the horses got out?

Yeah, I've said for years that all those office buildings in Dallas belong in Houston. I don't understand how or why people keep building them or why other people keep leasing them up there. It's obviously not about an agglomeration of specialized labor. Perhaps I-45 is to blame? Or perhaps its their proximity to Canada. We could blame Canada. Why not, with their beady little eyes and flapping heads so full of lies... ;)

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 4

The free market appears to disagree with you.

Hahaha, I'll write a reply after I finish laughing. Yes, the free market that built this 64 lane freeway. The invisible hand of the market set all the rebar and poured all the concrete. I wonder what the net tax flow from the loop to Katy is.

• Like 1

Hahaha, I'll write a reply after I finish laughing. Yes, the free market that built this 64 lane freeway. The invisible hand of the market set all the rebar and poured all the concrete. I wonder what the net tax flow from the loop to Katy is.

Interstates are paid for with taxes on gasoline. The gasoline was bought to get people to Katy where they want to live. If you can get everyone to agree to live downtown and ride bikes the funding for highways will disapear. It could be done. Everyone can live inside the loop. If we could just corral them all up in some kind of Katy to downtown forced march then all our problems would be solved. It's always those stuborn people who don't want to obey that get in the way.

• Like 1

Yes, I would consider building a 20 store building in the location considered best as the free market acting. BTW, the development of the Energy Corridor predates the widening of the Katy Freeway. (BP built a 20 story building there in 1992), so I'm not sure that I understand the relevance of your post. Shame on us for allowing people to live and work where they want!

Yes, you've just explained how the government builds freeways. It levies a tax, gets additional funding from other agencies and other taxes, then elected officials get together and direct an agency to put together a plan, then after environmental studies and public comment periods, it's built or enlarged or whatever. Total 100% free market. I believe you.

Edited by woolie

Interstates are paid for with taxes on gasoline. The gasoline was bought to get people to Katy where they want to live. If you can get everyone to agree to live downtown and ride bikes the funding for highways will disapear. It could be done. Everyone can live inside the loop. If we could just corral them all up in some kind of Katy to downtown forced march then all our problems would be solved. It's always those stuborn people who don't want to obey that get in the way.

No. Partly, yes. Just like public transportation is partly paid for by farebox recovery.

LOL, we sure derailed this thread pretty quick didn't we?

Edited by mfastx
  • Like 1

No, there's no shame involved. It's just a choice I'll never understand. I don't like sitting in traffic, and I don't care how many fake gables my house has. I get bored in totally homogenized places.

I understand your personal choice and appreciate that. Still doesn't explain to me why there shouldn't be construction in the Energy Corridor. Many people choose to live outside the loop. Many companies choose to locate their facilities close to those people. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I'm going to drop out of this conversation, because it's just going to become "your neighborhood is shit." Although I love these conversations, this thread isn't the right venue.

I'll just make my point more explicit before I leave, and that is that the idea of a pure free market for real estate is a fiction. The value of a property is deeply entwined in the level of public investment made in an area. It's the real history of any city. The reason any of this dirt has value is infrastructure, and the communities around it built for decades on the back of yet more infrastructure. It's my opinion that high density uses should be clustered together to maximize infrastructure investment.

• Like 4

No they don't.

My lord... Your posts are painful. Is there nothing more you can add to the converstaion?

Personally, I think this is great for the city. The continuing emergence of the Katy/energy corridor is a help to the image of the city. At least where freeway asthetics are concerned. Houstons a big damned city, and thinking that it all should remain inside the loop is ludicrous. It's not the natural condition of it's unique layout.

• Like 4

While I would like to agree, at the same time, I sure plot size and cost played a huge role in it's location, as well as it's proximity to the Energy Corridor.

• Like 1

No they don't.

My lord... Your posts are painful. Is there nothing more you can add to the conversation?

Which is exactly why LTAWACS still has a negative post reputation on his profile page. And we have not had them on HAIF for years.

Says something about the person in general.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Wow, the Chronicle had a plethora, no, treasure trove of new developments listed this morning. Here is one of them:

Energy Center Three

Developer: Trammell Crow Co./Principal Real Estate Investors

Address: 935 N. Eldridge Parkway

Size: 20 stories, 546,000 square feet

Project cost: More than $150 million

Architect: Kirksey

There is a rendering, but was couldn't capture it. Here's the link. It's the first rendering in the list. Not much to see honestly...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/07/the-lowdown-on-the-projects-in-the-energy-corridor/#6207-1

• Like 1