Spirit Airlines

Mr. Mojito

I know this is a backwards way of posting this news but I couldn't find anything exclusively announcing they were entering the Houston market.

Spirit to add five destinations from DFW

http://www.star-tele...stinations.html

Spirit Airlines is growing again at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport.

The low-fare airline, known for its $9 promotional fares and $45 fees for carry-on bags, will announce today that it plans to add five destinations from DFW, including Baltimore and Houston.

The move will make DFW Spirit's second-largest hub, behind Fort Lauderdale, Fla. In a little over a year since it started flying out of DFW.

The Baltimore and Houston flights will begin in September.

Spirit Airlines to add five new destinations out of D/FW Airport

http://www.dallasnew...tion=reregister

By TERRY MAXON

Staff Writer

tmaxon@dallasnews.com

Published: 02 July 2012 11:01 PM

Spirit Airlines Inc. will announce Tuesday that it is beginning service to five more cities out of Dallas/Fort Worth, giving the low-fare carrier 20 destinations from North Texas by next spring.

So we are losing a couple of United puddle-jumpers to College Station and gaining a new competitor on the route to DFW.

Still waiting for the big bad punishment to drop.

(And no - United ending the round to CDG doesn't count either - that route has been losing money since Continental quit Skyteam for Star)

Via TWA902fly on airliners.net

IAH will have 2 flights...

DFW-IAH

NK #832 dep DFW 7:00am arr IAH 8:00am

NK #950 dep DFW 5:55pm arr IAH 6:55pm

IAH-DFW

NK #281 dep IAH 8:50am arr DFW 10:05am

NK #713 dep IAH 7:36pm arr DFW 8:50pm

Not a bad schedule business-wise, if you ask me.

'902

Edited by Mr. Mojito

New airlines and/or destinations are always good news in my book, so I'm glad to hear this. I've never flown Spirit before, but it sounds like it's pretty bare bones. Any personal experiences?

They entered the DFW market fairly recently, and in about a year it's grown into one of their biggest stations (I believe it will be 2nd to Fort Lauderdale in terms of destinations served after these additions). Given that DFW is a fortress hub for AA along the lines of United at IAH, and that Spirit seems to be doing very well there, I wonder if we can expect similar rapid growth and success for them here?

Yeah cause that HSR is doing so well between LA and San Fran.

? There is currently no HSR between LA and San Fran to analyze, I don't see your point.

That corridor is ripe for HSR too, there is just too much sort-sighted political oppostion.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the official release about Spirit. It landed in my junk mail, so I didn't post it when it came through a couple of weeks ago:

Spirit Airlines Liberates Houston Travelers from High Fares

Carrier Announces Nonstop Ultra Low Fare Service Between Houston and DFW

Miramar, Florida (July 3, 2012) – Spirit Airlines is celebrating Independence Day by liberating Houston travelers from high fares. The carrier today announced that it is introducing its popular ultra low fares to customers traveling between Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth. Twice daily nonstop service between Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport begins September 20, 2012, with connections available to six destinations throughout the Americas, including, Baltimore/Washington, Las Vegas, Phoenix/Mesa, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Toluca/Mexico City, and Portland, Oregon.

“The addition of more flights and low fares is always reason to celebrate,” said Houston Mayor Annise Parker. “Bush Intercontinental is a thriving economic engine that continues to offer expanded flight opportunities. The addition of Spirit Airlines will give Houstonians new low-fare options and bring more visitors to our city.” “We are excited to celebrate this Independence week by liberating Houstonians from high fares,” said Houstonian native and Spirit’s Director of Sales Scott Fisher.

“We are committed to offering consumers the opportunity to save money on travel with the super low fares that our growing customer following has come to know and love.”

Customers can check out the insanely low fares offered every day at www.spirit.com and also sign up to receive alerts on Spirit’s email deals and offers.

About Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines (NASDAQ: SAVE) empowers customers to save money on air travel by offering ultra low base fares with a range of optional services for a fee, allowing customers the freedom to choose only the extras they value. This innovative approach grows the traveling market and stimulates new economic activity while creating new jobs. Spirit's modern fleet, configuration and other innovations enable Spirit to burn less fuel per seat than competitors, making Spirit one of the most environmentally-friendly U.S. carriers. Spirit’s all-Airbus fleet currently operates more than 200 daily flights to over 50 destinations within the U.S., Latin America and Caribbean. Visit Spirit at www.spirit.com.

I'm not a fan of Spirit. It always comes up as the cheapest options when searching for flights, but that's because you get nickel-and-dimed for every little thing like choosing a seat. Even carry-on bags have a fee.

About two years ago I booked a MDW-CLT flight on Spirit, and when I found out about all the extra fees and that the seat pitch would be just 28 inches I chose simply not to go and wasted the ticket. Fortunately, it only cost me $29. But normal-sized people simply don't fit into a 17x28 airplane seat.

With all the extra fees added in by Spirit, getting a ticket on a real airline wasn't that much more expensive.

That just shows how ripe the corridor is for HSR.

If someone comes forward with a credible plan that doesn't involve massive subsidies (i.e. the state buying the right of way), I'm all for it. Passenger rail loses money nearly everywhere it operates and airlines pay for themselves occasionally.

You can not build infrastructure in this country without political support and you'll have organized and well funded NGO opposition fighting you no matter what it is you want.

If someone comes forward with a credible plan that doesn't involve massive subsidies (i.e. the state buying the right of way), I'm all for it. Passenger rail loses money nearly everywhere it operates and airlines pay for themselves occasionally.

Sorry but tha't simply not true. Most HSR lines around the world make money. And over time they cover the capital cost.

Even in the US the Acela Express makes a profit.

You can not build infrastructure in this country without political support and you'll have organized and well funded NGO opposition fighting you no matter what it is you want.

Sadly, that's true as of today. Gone are they days where massive public works projects (Interstate system, etc.) are supported and people get together to build something that would benefit the region as a whole.

The California HSR line seems to be on track and moving along (albeit at a snail's pace) and hopefully that much needed infrastructure improvement gets built.

Can you provide links or sources for either or both of those claims?

Well, my first claim should be obvious. But a simple google search should provide the answers for you.

But anyway here's a link that clearly gives not only examples that the Acela Express trains turn a profit, but that other HSR systems in countries like Great Britian, France, and Japan, among others, generate profits.

Also, if you look at Amtrak's budget, it clearly shows that not just the Acela Express, but also the Northeast Regional, turn large profits. Amtrak loses money on long distance routes.

Anyway, trying to get back on topic, I wonder if Southwest was lobbyign against this, since it's direct competition for them.

Well, my first claim should be obvious. But a simple google search should provide the answers for you.

But anyway here's a link that clearly gives not only examples that the Acela Express trains turn a profit, but that other HSR systems in countries like Great Britian, France, and Japan, among others, generate profits.

Also, if you look at Amtrak's budget, it clearly shows that not just the Acela Express, but also the Northeast Regional, turn large profits. Amtrak loses money on long distance routes.

Anyway, trying to get back on topic, I wonder if Southwest was lobbyign against this, since it's direct competition for them.

That was a pretty weak article that merely repeated your conclusions, without any backup information or even clarity as to what they mean by profit. I know I could spend time researching. You made the claim, I presumed you would have done the research and have some sources.

It appears the article is talking about operating profits. And they are presuming that because companies compete for the rights to operate some lines in Europe, therefore, those lines are profitable. The problem is, from that description, we know nothing about the bidding. What is the government providing in those contracts? Sure, the operator is apparently making a profit, but how much is the line being subsidized?

Do you have anything at all that shows that any of these HSRs are covering their capital costs, as you also claimed?

If it were true that high speed rail lines all over the world are operating profitably and even covering their capital costs, we wouldn't have to be waiting on huge government infrastructure projects to get HSR in this country. It would already be under construction by the profit-seeking private sector.

From what I can find, it appears that there are exactly two HSR lines in the world that claim to have had profits sufficient to cover capital costs.

http://www.economist...-speed_trains_0

Edited by Houston19514

That was a pretty weak article that merely repeated your conclusions, without any backup information or even clarity as to what they mean by profit. I know I could spend time researching. You made the claim, I presumed you would have done the research and have some sources.

I have done the research, and I've done extensive research at that. I've looked at Amtrak's budget personally so I know what I am talking about. I have also looked at operating cost/revenue of various HSR systems around the world. I have the sources, I'm just too lazy to go and hunt for them. Sorry but I don't have numerous sources favorited, lol.

It appears the article is talking about operating profits. And they are presuming that because companies compete for the rights to operate some lines in Europe, therefore, those lines are profitable. The problem is, from that description, we know nothing about the bidding. What is the government providing in those contracts? Sure, the operator is apparently making a profit, but how much is the line being subsidized?

I would assume that initial construction is financed by government, and operation of trains are run by individual companies. This is very similar to our airport system here in the US.

Do you have anything at all that shows that any of these HSRs are covering their capital costs, as you also claimed?

Not at the moment, but simple math says that over time, operating profits add up and could theoretically pay for initial construction eventually. Now whether the cost of construction is actually being paid back, or if the companies are keeping the profits for themselves, is another issue.

If it were true that high speed rail lines all over the world are operating profitably and even covering their capital costs, we wouldn't have to be waiting on huge government infrastructure projects to get HSR in this country. It would already be under construction by the profit-seeking private sector.

Private sectors don't usually finance initial construction of rail lines. That is mostly done by the government. But there are numerous private companies wanting to build a Houston-Dallas line. But the process of a foreign country coming here and building infrastructure is difficult to accompish because of the politics in this country. And there are numerous HSR proposals here in the US from private companies actually. It's just hard to build anything because people in this country are so closed minded.

From what I can find, it appears that there are exactly two HSR lines in the world that claim to have had profits sufficient to cover capital costs.

http://www.economist...-speed_trains_0

So far, but that number will grow. Remember that the line the article points out has been in operation for decades. It takes awhile to completely cover capital costs. Many newer HSR systems haven't been in operation long enough to cover capital costs. And of course you are taking a source from an obviously anti-rail article, so I'd question their fact-checking.

Also, let's pretend that HSR doesn't cover capital costs. So what?? No infrastructure does. Why should rail be held to higher standards than other modes of transport?

Whatever, we are too off topic now, I take responsibility.

Edited by mfastx

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This came in a couple of days ago:

George Bush Intercontinental Airport Gains Service Between 
Houston and Orlando on Spirit Airlines

The Houston Airport System announces Spirit Airlines is spreading its love of ultra low fares this Valentine’s Day as it starts daily nonstop service between Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and Orlando International Airport.

“Houston leads the nation in the economic recovery and the Houston Airport System is delighted to add new nonstop flights to Orlando,” said Mario C. Diaz, Director of the Houston Airport System.  “Bush Intercontinental welcomes the expansion by Spirit Airlines as we celebrate this increased capacity between Texas and Florida.”

“Spirit gives many consumers the opportunity to fly who otherwise couldn’t afford to do so – or they’re able to do so more often – by offering everyone the opportunity to take advantage of our ultra low fares and option to save by choosing only the add-ons they want,” said Spirit’s Chief Marketing Officer Barry Biffle.  “What’s not to love about getting where you want to go for less?”

Spirit introduced its ultra low fare service to Houstonians in September with twice daily nonstop service to Dallas/Fort Worth, and started daily nonstop service from Houston to both Chicago O’Hare and Las Vegas in October. 

Spirit’s Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) – Orlando (MCO) schedule effective February 14, 2013:

Depart

Arrive

Flight #

Stops

Frequency

Houston – Orlando

9:45 am

1:10 pm

Daily

Orlando – Houston

2:00 pm

3:20 pm

Daily

Spirit offers connections from Houston to 12 destinations throughout the Americas, including Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Fort Myers, Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Oakland/San Francisco, Phoenix/Mesa, Portland (Oregon), Tampa, and Toluca/Mexico City.

• 1 year later...

Spirit just keeps growing out of IAH.

By September, there will be 15 daily non-stops out of IAH. They started with just two daily flights to DFW less than 2 years ago. Here's the fall schedule;

DEPARTURES

6:00 am Chicago

7:00 am Detroit

7:05 am Minneapolis/St Paul

9:25 am Kansas City (new flight)

10:30 am Orlando

11:20 am Las Vegas

12:15 pm Atlanta (new flight)

2:00 pm Fort Lauderdale (new flight)

3:32 pm Chicago

4:15 pm Los Angeles

6:03 pm New Orleans (new flight)

7:55 pm Denver

9:05 pm San Diego (new flight)

9:15 pm Los Angeles

10:30 pm Las Vegas

• 4 weeks later...

Spirit just keeps growing out of IAH.

By September, there will be 15 daily non-stops out of IAH. They started with just two daily flights to DFW less than 2 years ago. Here's the fall schedule;

DEPARTURES

6:00 am Chicago

7:00 am Detroit

7:05 am Minneapolis/St Paul

9:25 am Kansas City (new flight)

10:30 am Orlando

11:20 am Las Vegas

12:15 pm Atlanta (new flight)

2:00 pm Fort Lauderdale (new flight)

3:32 pm Chicago

4:15 pm Los Angeles

6:03 pm New Orleans (new flight)

7:55 pm Denver

9:05 pm San Diego (new flight)

9:15 pm Los Angeles

10:30 pm Las Vegas

IDK why. The single worse experience I've had on a plane has been on spirit. It even trumps the time that the toilet broke on a transatlantic flight.

I mean, there is no better motivator to do better in life and make more $ than flying Spirit b/c it's cheaper than United or Southwest.

Yuck. Mine too. I'll never forget being husseled aboard a Flight In FLL because the crew was delayed. "Come-on people. Put some pep in that step and get in you seat!", is what the FA's were shouting over the PA. If all I can afford is Spirit...I don't need to be going. I Don't even consider then.

• 3 months later...

Interesting move...

Spirit has applied for route authority between Houston IAH and Cancun, Cabo, and Toluca. If it is awarded the service, it could block Southwest from entering the Cabo and Toluca markets from Houston and potentially Cancun if United throws an Express plane on the route due the bilateral agreement between the two countries limiting the number of carriers on different city pairs.

United must be ecstatic. It might be able to avoid competing with Southwest on two huge routes (Cabo and Cancun). 

• Like 1

No duh. I know Southwest has plans to fly those routes but the carrier has to apply for route permission and then be granted those rights. Southwest hasn't applied for any Houston-Mexico routes yet. Spirit is beating them to the punch and since United and its Express carrier(s) already fly those routes, Southwest could be locked out of serving some very important markets in Mexico. 

The US and Mexico do not have an Open Skies agreement. 

• 4 months later...

Spirit's massive expansion plus viva aerobus, Internet, and volaris entering the market have caused a huge fare war with United on certain Latin American destinations, particularly cancun and guadalajara.

Spirits impact is more because they fly domestically and to other countries like Belize, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras.

Good for customers.