Houston Potential Projects That Were Never Built

Subdude

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That memorial city plaza plan is so pie-in-the-sky it's absurd. That will never happen under MetroNational's watch.... Not while we're alive at least.

darn you, realists!

kidding aside, i do wonder if the area will become a "downtown" unto itself, not memorial city specifically.  the retail in the area is very fragmented though.....my mind must be wondering in the sky pie.

darn you, realists!

kidding aside, i do wonder if the area will become a "downtown" unto itself, not memorial city specifically. the retail in the area is very fragmented though.....my mind must be wondering in the sky pie.

I would say that the odds are pretty good that Memorial City becomes a companion city to Houston (similar to Uptown) within the next 25 years. If you look at the way the corridor between Memorial City and the Energy Corridor is densifying along with all the growth in the Westchase area, it makes it a pretty logical town center. There's already talk about another large mixed use going in next to City Centre. Edited by livincinco

I would say that the odds are pretty good that Memorial City becomes a companion city to Houston (similar to Uptown) within the next 25 years. If you look at the way the corridor between Memorial City and the Energy Corridor is densifying along with all the growth in the Westchase area, it makes it a pretty logical town center. There's already talk about another large mixed use going in next to City Centre.

That's going to be fun to watch. I'm especially curious to see if the towers expand down the Beltway south of Richmond and join up with the lone tower in chinatown at the Beltway and Bellaire. There's a lot of commercial real estate, quite a bit undeveloped, down that way. Similarly there's been considerable expansion westward down I10 towards the Grand Pkwy. We might end up with a westside loop consisting of I10, Beltway 8, Westpark and the Grand Parkway.

That's going to be fun to watch. I'm especially curious to see if the towers expand down the Beltway south of Richmond and join up with the lone tower in chinatown at the Beltway and Bellaire. There's a lot of commercial real estate, quite a bit undeveloped, down that way. Similarly there's been considerable expansion westward down I10 towards the Grand Pkwy. We might end up with a westside loop consisting of I10, Beltway 8, Westpark and the Grand Parkway.

I was actually just looking at some numbers on this and 25 years may have been conservative. As of Q1 2013, the CBD had 38.5 million sq ft of office space with nothing under construction (but a lot planned).

The combined Katy Freeway and Westchase submarkets have 33.0 million sq ft of office space with 3.1 million under construction. Granted that covers a lot bigger space, but those areas are close to having the same amount of office space as the CBD already.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51808118/ColliersAttachments/Research/Q1_2013_Office_Market_Research_Report.pdf

I would say that the odds are pretty good that Memorial City becomes a companion city to Houston (similar to Uptown) within the next 25 years. If you look at the way the corridor between Memorial City and the Energy Corridor is densifying along with all the growth in the Westchase area, it makes it a pretty logical town center. There's already talk about another large mixed use going in next to City Centre.

The level of development along the energy corridor and beltway between 10 and Richmond is pretty remarkable... Citycentre, MCP, briar lake, Phillips, town center, 10 west, dow site which is supposedly under contract to an end user... It's pretty cool.

This would of made a nice change to the greenspoint skyline.  <_< 

Even though it looks like a few of the buildings going up in West Houston, I do agree. There was also another tower planned for Greenspoint back in 2009, around 20 stories high. That one was cancelled as well of course.

Going a bit further back in time now, the Houston Center - Phase One. From the book "Houston Lost and Unbuilt" by Steven Strom

9385391006_4c65a282a3_b.jpg

9382610449_01dc7e2865_b.jpg

9385392164_397c3b5a98_b.jpg

9385392196_7e0a2fb37e_b.jpg

9382609389_a945de790a_b.jpg

9385392242_6bfae22d11_b.jpg

I wonder if this was planned for downtown ? If so it would be nice if it came back to life with the incentives program.

It says it was part of Boulevard Place which would put it in Uptown.  I think I remember some other renderings for this popping up in the BLVD Place thread at some point.

I wonder if this was planned for downtown ? If so it would be nice if it came back to life with the incentives program.

I think this one was the initial version of the sleeker tower that Hanover proposed for the BLVD Place project. Not the one that's under construction but the one prior to it, pictured below. Thought it was cancelled or put on hold indefinitely.

hanover-blvd-place.jpg

Then again the current BLVD Place plans and renderings show the above tower, with the same footprint still there along San Felipe at Post Oak Lane, so who really knows.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews