Houston Potential Projects That Were Never Built

Subdude

Do you know anything about the middle image? It looks like an alternative Pennzoil.

If I'm not mistaken, that was one of the original visions of the tower(s) planned for the site now occupied by 1600 Smith Street. For a while, the plan called for two towers. I think even the current tower may have had a twin in one plan, with the other being 65 floors and of the same design.

I think it's November 1986's Connoisseur magazine that had an article on Kevin Roche featuring a finished model of the tower, though no mention of the client, or whether it would have been part of the Allen Center series across the street. Of the three blocks northwest and west of Three Allen Center, I can't remember if it was on 265 or not.

except it's drawn where HL&P was going to build a 90 floor building on Block 265. It might be a proposal for that...

Ah yes... I remember that... the "final" rendering has a spire. It looked a lot like the BofA tower in Atlanta.

Hrm... im guessing this was from the 80's?

The date's listed in the lower right-ish corner: January 2008.

However, this doesn't appear to be a serious proposal (at any level). It appears to be a demonstration of a tool, rather than a conceptual rendering of an actual (even conceived) project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we are:

post-3832-0-60097900-1344275497_thumb.jp

Note how different Three Allen Center looks when more than fifty floors. Since this got it wrong, I'm not sure whether the project, referred to above as HL&P, was from before 1983 when Three Allen Center was topped out. Anyway, the picture is p.87 from the February 1988 Connoisseur magazine.