HAIF - Houston's original social media

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was uploaded June 2019 therefore I'm not sure if this is still an active project.   https://hinesad.com/portfolios/pleated-03/    

that's the old Houston Center render.

Concept of downtown created in 1970, posted on reddit by u/NordyNed  

Posted Images

That memorial city plaza plan is so pie-in-the-sky it's absurd. That will never happen under MetroNational's watch.... Not while we're alive at least.

darn you, realists!

kidding aside, i do wonder if the area will become a "downtown" unto itself, not memorial city specifically.  the retail in the area is very fragmented though.....my mind must be wondering in the sky pie.

darn you, realists!

kidding aside, i do wonder if the area will become a "downtown" unto itself, not memorial city specifically. the retail in the area is very fragmented though.....my mind must be wondering in the sky pie.

I would say that the odds are pretty good that Memorial City becomes a companion city to Houston (similar to Uptown) within the next 25 years. If you look at the way the corridor between Memorial City and the Energy Corridor is densifying along with all the growth in the Westchase area, it makes it a pretty logical town center. There's already talk about another large mixed use going in next to City Centre. Edited by livincinco

I would say that the odds are pretty good that Memorial City becomes a companion city to Houston (similar to Uptown) within the next 25 years. If you look at the way the corridor between Memorial City and the Energy Corridor is densifying along with all the growth in the Westchase area, it makes it a pretty logical town center. There's already talk about another large mixed use going in next to City Centre.

That's going to be fun to watch. I'm especially curious to see if the towers expand down the Beltway south of Richmond and join up with the lone tower in chinatown at the Beltway and Bellaire. There's a lot of commercial real estate, quite a bit undeveloped, down that way. Similarly there's been considerable expansion westward down I10 towards the Grand Pkwy. We might end up with a westside loop consisting of I10, Beltway 8, Westpark and the Grand Parkway.

That's going to be fun to watch. I'm especially curious to see if the towers expand down the Beltway south of Richmond and join up with the lone tower in chinatown at the Beltway and Bellaire. There's a lot of commercial real estate, quite a bit undeveloped, down that way. Similarly there's been considerable expansion westward down I10 towards the Grand Pkwy. We might end up with a westside loop consisting of I10, Beltway 8, Westpark and the Grand Parkway.

I was actually just looking at some numbers on this and 25 years may have been conservative. As of Q1 2013, the CBD had 38.5 million sq ft of office space with nothing under construction (but a lot planned).

The combined Katy Freeway and Westchase submarkets have 33.0 million sq ft of office space with 3.1 million under construction. Granted that covers a lot bigger space, but those areas are close to having the same amount of office space as the CBD already.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51808118/ColliersAttachments/Research/Q1_2013_Office_Market_Research_Report.pdf

I would say that the odds are pretty good that Memorial City becomes a companion city to Houston (similar to Uptown) within the next 25 years. If you look at the way the corridor between Memorial City and the Energy Corridor is densifying along with all the growth in the Westchase area, it makes it a pretty logical town center. There's already talk about another large mixed use going in next to City Centre.

The level of development along the energy corridor and beltway between 10 and Richmond is pretty remarkable... Citycentre, MCP, briar lake, Phillips, town center, 10 west, dow site which is supposedly under contract to an end user... It's pretty cool.

This would of made a nice change to the greenspoint skyline.  <_< 

Even though it looks like a few of the buildings going up in West Houston, I do agree. There was also another tower planned for Greenspoint back in 2009, around 20 stories high. That one was cancelled as well of course.

Going a bit further back in time now, the Houston Center - Phase One. From the book "Houston Lost and Unbuilt" by Steven Strom

9385391006_4c65a282a3_b.jpg

9382610449_01dc7e2865_b.jpg

9385392164_397c3b5a98_b.jpg

9385392196_7e0a2fb37e_b.jpg

9382609389_a945de790a_b.jpg

9385392242_6bfae22d11_b.jpg

I wonder if this was planned for downtown ? If so it would be nice if it came back to life with the incentives program.

It says it was part of Boulevard Place which would put it in Uptown.  I think I remember some other renderings for this popping up in the BLVD Place thread at some point.

I wonder if this was planned for downtown ? If so it would be nice if it came back to life with the incentives program.

I think this one was the initial version of the sleeker tower that Hanover proposed for the BLVD Place project. Not the one that's under construction but the one prior to it, pictured below. Thought it was cancelled or put on hold indefinitely.

hanover-blvd-place.jpg

Then again the current BLVD Place plans and renderings show the above tower, with the same footprint still there along San Felipe at Post Oak Lane, so who really knows.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

I don't think the M59 or the West Ave phase II are cancelled, they just haven't developed yet.

In the thread for M59 I remember swtsig saying it was dead/cancelled, but you may be right about West Ave Phase II.

Edited by Urbannizer

The Mix would have been a really nice development for the Midtown if it was completely built out like that, only one section was completed with the 24 hour fitness on the top floor. The sites where the post oak tower & 1600 west loop south building were proposed, are currently on the market so hopefully developers will buy them and build towers.

Edited by Fortune

Going back in time again..this time as far back as the 1920s. I showed my friend the original Houston Center plan from the "Houston Lost and Unbuilt" book and he was going to the library, so he decided to get the book.

Bank of the Southwest Tower

9425661617_2c8da29a49_c.jpg

9428429600_e86a7aa05c_c.jpg

The Sterling Hotel :(

9428433084_176b99c4c4_z.jpg

Other design proposals for the Gulf building:

9425662597_b0e9bdcf46_c.jpg

Houston City Hall

9425663183_6e67c533f8_b.jpg

Office Building:

9428431704_cbf4dce7bc_c.jpg

Downtown Motor Hotel:

9428429946_a97ccb00db_c.jpg

Red Wolf Hotel:

9428432742_8f4b7f783f_z.jpg

Apartment House:

9428428880_a77f000b3a_c.jpg

20-Story Office Building:

9428432030_42193911d4_c.jpg

Mall for Second City National Bank:

9428432386_bd63a3a5df_c.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone else wish that downtown had a roundabout? It's random but is really cool to me.

Downtown did have a roundabout once, by what is now the main post office.  It's hard to see how one could be integrated into most of the grid.

I'd been curious about this one for some time. I'd only seen it proposed at 55 stories / 765 feet based on some of the period reports from the Houston Post. Was supposed to have been a project put forward by Urban Investment & Development and Treptow / Murphree (developers of The Huntingdon and a few other buildings). Only appeared to be viable for about a year or so before the bust based on that info.

Not bad in terms of height, but I'm not the biggest fan of the design.

I found this pdf that shows the options BBVA Compass was considering. This first one is probably still in the pipeline but I'm sure the design could change. I think it is pretty sweet!!

I guess they liked their current site but not this other proposed design. I have a feeling most would have liked this one better instead.

http://jll-houston.com/OfficeInv/BBVA.pdf

And I also found this time lapse video

1605postoak+conceptual.jpg

the+perennial.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RBB-jVf3s

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...