Houston Potential Projects That Were Never Built

Subdude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If it's truly from the 80's, it's funny how accurate the proposals for the arena and Finger's apartment building are....and I agree with Howard with the illuminated red station design.

It's an artist illustration showing how the city would look if those projects were to exist today. Some of the other projects proposed for downtown during that time are missing as well.

If it's truly from the 80's, it's funny how accurate the proposals for the arena and Finger's apartment building are....and I agree with Howard with the illuminated red station design.

It's rendering done in 2012 to imagine what those projects would like inserted into the existing fabric. The arena and Fingers apartment tower were of course already in existence when the rendering was done.

Uptown Village development. So sad what could have been.

http://www.pcg-us.com/portfolio/renderings/8-portfolio/29-freehand-renderings.html

utere2uq.jpgapa7ehyb.jpg

This project attempted to create a 5-star boutique hotel, approximately 500,000 square feet of office space and ground level retail within the framework of a New Urbanist design setting. The site, at the prestigious corner of Richmond Avenue and Post Oak Boulevard in the Galleria/Post Oak area, was carved into four pieces via internal roadways to create a walkable urban streetscape.

The hotel in one quadrant is linked to about 150 residential units in the adjacent quadrant, sharing the same parking garage. Office and some residential cover the third quadrant. Single-story, big-box retail complete the grid.

Greenwich Properties CLIENT

500,000 sf office, 125,000 sf retail, 5-star, 200-room, hotel, parking garages SIZE

http://www.johnsondesigngroup-llc.com/3122/95453.html

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

Paseo

Located within the Upper Kirby District of Houston, this mixed-use development creates a lifestyle shopping environment like none other in the City.

The development, raised on a fifteen foot podium of parking, mixes 450,000 sf of retail, restaurant, fitness and grocery components with 500 units of several different residential concepts as well as over 120,000 sf of office space. From one of the most prominent corners of Houston, the Paseo or “Passageway” winds its way up to the Central Market Plaza.

Adjacent to the Plaza is retail, a 250-room hotel, a 6-story residential tower and a community/museum center. Other residential types include a highrise tower, townhouses, mid-rise apartments, fl ex office/loft space and brownstones. This dynamic mix of live/work/play/entertainment components combine to create a unique urban lifestyle experience.

http://www.johnsondesigngroup-llc.com/3122/95495.html

e6e8u8ym.jpg9aha7e8a.jpgu2evazet.jpg

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but I need help finding a report that I saw in one of the post on the Going Up! page.  It was a market forecast report created by a Law Firm.  I cant remember a whole lot of it but it did cover commercial office, retail, and industrial market segments.  Can any of yall help me find it???

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Main Tower - Block 139

http://weemscollections.com/commercial-project

This building was proposed for the southwest corner of McKinney and Main Streets where once stood the C & I Life Building adjacent to the Lamar Hotel, and across the street from the gorgeous First City Bank Lobby designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill in 1957.

12251859476_7bbcde701a_b.jpg

Le Ville Fountaine - Allen Parkway & Temple Drive

leville.jpg

leville-6.jpg

• Like 1

The Main Tower proposal on the C&I Building site is interesting in that it indicates that at some point it was contemplated to keep the Lamar Hotel and eliminate the movie theater, C&I Building, and the Lamar annex at the Travis/McKinney corner.  Of course, ultimately Hines elected to demolish the entire block for another project that was never built.

1000 Main isn't that different in appearance from the Main Tower.  The basic footprint of the office tower is the same; 1000 Main has the now obligatory parking podium and the fashion of the day external concrete detailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha I doubt it. That's the midtown project right? I can only see one rendering on their site when on my phone.. I thought that was from 2008 or so and other projects have since been built on this land?

It is pretty old, but the description says downtown.

They do have a midtown project too, that's probably what you're thinking of.

Edited by lockmat

oh wow, hadnt seen that one before. the midtown project is definitely what i was thinking of.

it says 23 acres, but looks like its just one downtown block.. how can that be? i cant seem to manage to match the background towers to an area in downtown. it would definitely be a neat development none the less..