East End Urban Village Project

• 1 year later...

this news is months old by now (from November of last year i believe), but this thread hasnt been updated since before then and i cant find a topic dedicated to the East End streetcar system. has anyone heard anything further on this?
Picture_3.png

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city_life/11-02-12-its-full-speed-ahead-on-streetcars-in-eado-public-transit-plans-routes-are-revealed/

agreed, i really hope it happens. it will be a great example of what can/should be done in the denser districts of town and areas surrounding the light rail, to extend the "last mile" reach of transit. imagine midtown with a streetcar system. or uptown. a few other districts come to mind (Washington Ave, 4th Ward, River Oaks, Upper Kirby?), but the east end just happens to be where two of the new light rail lines are going, so it makes the most sense being able to connect the district into the lines at multiple points (though IMO a midtown, museum district, or medical district could easily spawn streetcar lines connecting passengers in the surrounding areas to the existing red line).

Just a thought from looking at the map, I can see something like the San Antonio river walk happening in the near future along the Buffalo Bayou Corridor and the KBR Site. The future extensions of the streetcar on the map kind of points out to me that the area will be noticable to developers, small developers or large developers, to develop mixed-use offices, midrise residential buildings, shopping centers, etc, etc, etc.

After the streetcars are in service, we should start seeing development heating up along the Bayou and in/around the KBR site.

So Excitng to think about Streetcars here... In this case, rather than follow the development the street car system would actually spur and creat the development.  There are already plenty of people in the area (I being one) that would support it from the beginning.  Could really help define the area.  

Just a thought from looking at the map, I can see something like the San Antonio river walk happening in the near future along the Buffalo Bayou Corridor and the KBR Site. The future extensions of the streetcar on the map kind of points out to me that the area will be noticable to developers, small developers or large developers, to develop mixed-use offices, midrise residential buildings, shopping centers, etc, etc, etc.

After the streetcars are in service, we should start seeing development heating up along the Bayou and in/around the KBR site.

Have you not seen the full Buffalo Bayou Master Plans? They have a river walk area implemented in the plan with a north canal (that got the green light for funding this year) and a more pie in the sky south canal that seems much less feasible as it cuts through some parts of northern downtown and the east end.

Agreed that once the streetcar system is in place development in the area would heat up. A lot of the concerns in the kbr development thread were its lack of direct connection to downtown, so the streetcar system would really help with that.

Have you not seen the full Buffalo Bayou Master Plans? They have a river walk area implemented in the plan with a north canal (that got the green light for funding this year) and a more pie in the sky south canal that seems much less feasible as it cuts through some parts of northern downtown and the east end.

Agreed that once the streetcar system is in place development in the area would heat up. A lot of the concerns in the kbr development thread were its lack of direct connection to downtown, so the streetcar system would really help with that.

Yea, I've seen it years ago and I've been waiting for more news for it but nothing would come out so I assumed it was canceled.

Well the North Canal got the go ahead this year, but that canal actually serves a second purpose for helping mitigate flooding, so no telling if they are going to build the canal to allow it to be developed in the future or what. 

Pretty much all of the renovations happening along the Buffalo Bayou park system are in lines with the Master Plan from what i can tell, so i assume they are still shooting for fulfilling the master plan (they were set to have everything finished by 2020ish i believe, but they were announced back in the early 2000s and i think theyve fallen behind schedule), just doing it in phases. if the South Canal ever gets built though i will be very surprised since it travels through some existing developments and more developed parts of the city.

downtown-bb-map_zps3e731b54.jpg

bayou_future.jpg

bayou_shopping.jpg

yeah definitely nothing new.. i realize the last one is just a conceptual image, but from what i can tell, everything besides the south canal is happening in these plans (not the actual buildings, maybe thats what you meant as in just a "vision". of course that will be left up to the developers, but the city is presenting a prime location by renovating the bayou thats sure to be sprout some local mixed use/TODs.). they would just need to relocate a few things, which apparently they are already in the process of doing, on the new "island" between the bayou and the north canal.

Think I agree that the South Canal will no longer work...Not without exercising significant eminent domain...and destroying Guadalupe Park and a whole lot more.  But...I would have Loved to have seen it happen. But, that horse has left the barn, I am afraid  The North Canal?  I dunno.  Currently that is mostly parking lot...so not that difficult. Would really make Kayaking from the new Kayak Center more interesting.    

Have y'all noticed the work that the city is doing on the Jensen Bridge over the Bayou?  Pretty thourough renovation...and it is looking nice!  I like how these old bridges are are high enough for river traffic below.  It seems that the bridge renovations, the ongoing/prolonged sewer work on Clinton and enhancements to Navigation Blvd all play well into Streetcar plan. 

yeah definitely nothing new.. i realize the last one is just a conceptual image, but from what i can tell, everything besides the south canal is happening in these plans (not the actual buildings, maybe thats what you meant as in just a "vision". of course that will be left up to the developers, but the city is presenting a prime location by renovating the bayou thats sure to be sprout some local mixed use/TODs.). they would just need to relocate a few things, which apparently they are already in the process of doing, on the new "island" between the bayou and the north canal.

I mean the whole conceptual image. Maybe there is an up to date official rendering for the infrastructure somewhere or maybe its in the works, who knows.

Yes the rest will be up to the developers, I am sure a bunch of the infrastructure projects will influence developers to develop the Bayou Corridor and the KBR site into a vibrant place. 

Archived