Texas A&M University's Kyle Field Developments

Nate99

If I understand the system correctly, the structural portion of the panel is a sheet of concrete (presumably reinforced); the "bricks" are actually thin appearance pieces adhered to that panel in some form or fashion.  They don't have any load on them beyond that required to remain glued to the wall.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure whatever adhesive they have is very strong and that it is tested to last a decent stated lifetime, however it can't possibly be as durable as if the brick were actually joined into the other bricks in the wall.  The freezing and expanding of small pockets of water over time can overcome any adhesive.

The vertical bricks are part of the brick panels. The bricks on those panels are real, but not of a normal thickness.

There will be some "visible seam" issues, but apparently they will look better with some age.

The interior cranes are out along with nearly everything that was on the ground inside the stadium. Looks like they are prepping the field surface to put grass back in. 

Aside from the collapse of the old stands, the West side build up next offseason will almost be anti-climatic compared to this expansion, though connecting it all together will be a neat finishing touch. 

I would love to be there in a packed house for the LSU game on Thanksgiving. 

Once 2015 rolls around the outside will look coordinated, the interior will certainly be unique, but I am confident it will look great both in person and on TV.

It will definitely look pieced together on the interior, but I think it is kind of neat to see the progression of the stadium in its structure. It would have been neat if part of the old first deck could have been integrated, but I understand the other competing priorities. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone over at TexAgs did an overlay of the pre-demoliion field on the new one now that the grass is down.  A neat illustration of how much closer the stands will be to the field.

You also get a feel for how big the new video board is. The old one was huge, though eclipsed by others in CFB and other sport stadiums.

tSQfm2x.jpg

The new Kyle Field redevelopment certainly is cool, but it's causing a shortage in workers and construction projects elsewhere in town. As a result, even a simple gas station project will drag its feet for literally months, and hope is rapidly dimming that the Torchy's will open before school starts.

The new Kyle Field redevelopment certainly is cool, but it's causing a shortage in workers and construction projects elsewhere in town. As a result, even a simple gas station project will drag its feet for literally months, and hope is rapidly dimming that the Torchy's will open before school starts.

The gravitational pull of a multi-hundred million dollar project in a ~230K population area must spawn some wierd economics.

One wonders if some of wherewithal devoted to Baylor's stadium might divert south over the next year now that it is mostly complete. 

Archived