A bunch of new tall ones for Austin

Subdude

Downtown Austin's high-rise building boom is back.

After a hiatus during the recession, the development pipeline is swelling with tower projects; some are under construction, some are set to start soon, and others are due to begin next year or later.

If built as planned over the next several years — and even developers say it's unlikely all will become reality — the projects would reshape downtown Austin's skyline.

The proposed projects include two new convention hotels as well as more housing, mostly apartments, which continue to be the hottest sector of the commercial real estate market. Downtown also could see the first new office buildings to rise since Frost Bank Tower opened in 2004. The developer of the tower, Cousins Properties Inc., plans a second high-rise with 30 stories at Third and Colorado streets, and Endeavor Real Estate Group plans a 13-story tower for IBC Bank on West Fifth Street, across from the downtown post office.

420gables_1495553a.jpg

3rdandbrazos_1495508a.jpg

SkyhouseRainey_1495468a.jpg

3rdandcolorado_1495570a.jpg

Fairmount_1495545a.jpg

marriott_1495543a.jpg

rainey_1495469a.jpg

seaholm_1495541a.jpg

greenwater_1495509a.jpg

http://www.statesman.com/business/real-estate/downtowns-skyline-poised-for-a-remake-2397927.html?page=2

See, all this is going downtown. I can't help but think that since they don't have competing areas like we do (Galleria, Energy, Woodlands, Westchase etc), it's helping push the tall building drive in their downtown. I guess they don't have as much competition because of zoning?

Perhaps. Someone on here made up some images that showed most (if not all) of Houston's tall buildings stretching from NoDo to the med center with hermann park fullfilling the same role as nyc's central park.

See, all this is going downtown. I can't help but think that since they don't have competing areas like we do (Galleria, Energy, Woodlands, Westchase etc), it's helping push the tall building drive in their downtown. I guess they don't have as much competition because of zoning?

San Antonio may have the same conditions in those respects, and no boom. Could it be arbitrage between the ability to build at lower local prices and the ability to charge higher national prices?

I see an average customer who's moving to Austin for lifestyle cachet from across the nation but who doesn't know they could live the same for a lot less in San Antonio.

Archived