Turkish Airlines

asubrt

Turkish Airlines recently announced that they will be starting 4x weekly nonstop service from Houston-Intercontinental to Istanbul-Ataturk airport beginning April 1, 2013. This is great news, especially considering that United are being such babies about the whole IAH vs Hobby business and threatening to cut routes. Clearly foreign airlines are still bullish on Houston, and hopefully more will follow.

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012/06/iah-will-soon-offer-flights-to-turkey/

Just got the press release:

HOUSTON, June 18, 2012-- Houston Mayor Annise Parker announces new non-stop flights to Istanbul beginning April 1, 2013, operated by Turkish Airlines between George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and Istanbul's Ataturk International Airport (IST).

"Houston's strong business connections with Turkey created the opportunity to attract this foreign flag airline to our city," said Mayor Parker. "Houston has become the gateway to the world. Our global business structure helps our economy thrive and our job market remains the envy of the nation. These four new weekly flights will surely lead to increased economic opportunity for both Istanbul and Houston."

Turkish Airlines will operate the new route with a Boeing 777-300ER, which seats up to 334 passengers. Based at Ataturk International Airport, Turkish Airlines serves 190 destinations and carries 33 million passengers as the national flag carrier airline of Turkey.

A number of Houston community organizations worked with the Houston Airport System to attract this new direct air service by Turkish Airlines, including the Texas Turkish American Chamber of Commerce, the Greater Houston Partnership and the Greater Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau. The addition of this new direct flight will provide a meaningful economic boost to the Greater Houston region. Turkey remains a fast growing and emerging business and leisure economy with a strong cultural link to Houston.

“The total Houston to Turkey trade value in 2010 was $1.9 billion,” said Celil Yaka, President of Texas Turkish American Chamber of Commerce. “We anticipate this trade will grow significantly thanks to this new flight.”

"The Houston Airport System exists to connect people, businesses, cultures and economies of the world to Houston," said Mario Diaz, Director of the Houston Airport System. "This flight will open up more convenient travel options to both Turkey and beyond points, in particular, those in South/Central Asia and Africa."

Flight Schedule:

The new service will operate four days per week with flights on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

• Departure from Houston at 7:50 p.m. local time and arrival in Istanbul at 3:55 p.m. local time.
  • Departure from Istanbul at 1:05 p.m. local time and arrival in Houston at 6:05 p.m. local time.
  • The seating capacity of a B777-300 ER is 28 Business - 53 Comfort - 253 Economy

The flights are currently available in the Turkish Airlines reservation system at http://www.turkishairlines.com.

Recently Turkish Airlines was selected by Air Transport World as the recipient of the "world's market leadership award." Turkish Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance, which is the dominant airline network at Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston as the largest hub for the Star Alliance.

I've flown Turkish LHR-IST, and it wasn't anything special. Kind of the Lufthansa/Alitalia/United of the Middle East.

I thought Turkish Airlines was pretty darn nice. Being compared to Lufthansa isn't that bad a thing.

Turkish Airlines won (in 20011) Southern Europe's Best Airline and Europe's Best Airline award (ahead of Lufthansa). The airline is also ranked 9th in the world (for best airline). I would definitely fly them, especially since Istanbul is on my travel list!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Turkish Airlines, US Airways, Lufthansa, Air Canada, and beginning this summer Air China are partners for the Star Alliance.  We are gaining revenue when they fly to IAH and connect to United Airlines.  Asubrt get you fast straight before know what is happening with United.  The big threat to United Airlines not Southwest with 5 gates for International gates!  The big treat is Emirtes, Qatar, their governments pay for their fuel.  United spends $25,000 a second for fuel and are heavily taxed by our governments.         

• 3 weeks later...

Flew IAH-IST-IAH recently in "Comfort Class", Turkish's name for their Premium Economy product.

The check-in process was an absolute mess. I arrived 2.5 hours before departure and still had to wait nearly an hour to check-in using their elite line.

Boarding was fairly efficient and the plane was clean. The seat was definitely a bonus as it had a nice footrest and more legroom than coach, not to mention the layout is 2-3-2 rather than 3-3-3 in regular economy. My only complaint with the seat was that it could use a little more recline but I doubt Turkish will change that. Also, it has been rumored that the Comfort Class product will be going away completely in the future.

The outbound flight was completely packed. I walked the plane during the flight and there were only a few seats open in economy, one seat open in Comfort Class, and three seats open in business class.

The food served to Comfort Class was actually quite good. They served Turkish Delight first, then a round of drinks with nuts and an appetizer, then a second round of drinks and the main course, then dessert with coffee/tea/liqueurs. We arrived in Istanbul a little late (weather in Houston) but I had done the online visa and was through immigration in five minutes.

The return flight was a little different. There were only 10 people in Comfort Class, coach was pretty full, and the load in business class was about 1/2. The food was good this time as well, though I expected it to be better than it was since it is Turkish's hub and actually catered by their catering company there (Do&Co). The one negative was I smelled cigarette smoke off and on throughout the flight. After talking to some friends who have flown Turkish before the only explanation is that the crew was smoking during their breaks in the crew bunk area. 

Other than that, it was a great set of flights and well worth the cost (I paid less than $1k for the roundtrip in Comfort Class).

I got a flight for $861 to India in February. TK really has some cheap deals.

TK is on a huge expansion bender right now and it's offering super cheap fares in all of its cities.  

Unfortunately, it's not always the most convenient way to get somewhere.  Changing planes in Istanbul is fine if you're going to Dubai or India or something.  But changing planes in Istanbul to get to London or Paris is silly.  But still, it's $400 cheaper than American or United.

TK is on a huge expansion bender right now and it's offering super cheap fares in all of its cities.  

Unfortunately, it's not always the most convenient way to get somewhere.  Changing planes in Istanbul is fine if you're going to Dubai or India or something.  But changing planes in Istanbul to get to London or Paris is silly.  But still, it's $400 cheaper than American or United.

Yea my parents got flights to India in mid-December for $1080. Prices at that time are at least $2000, up to $2500. I took two TK flights earlier this year, one from London to Istanbul, and one from Istanbul to Birmingham, I was pretty impressed. Excellent food and good leg room.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well Global Services! United is doing vey well now. Went to Boston and the new terminal was great. I flew on a ER-175 jet in first class how nice. United is getting rid of those small ERJs thank god! Send some pics.

Hoping to hit it again next year. I think I will, have crossed 40k in spending so far

Flew Turkish airlines last month to Istanbul. Nothing but good things to say about them. If possible, schedule a day or two in Istanbul.

Agreed it's exhausting to take another flight after that

• The title was changed to Turkish Airlines

Archived